Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Mustang Project Color Preference

Page 1 of 1

I'd like some input on final color scheme for one of my too numerous projects, which is nearly finished. It started as a Squier VM Mustang (body, vibrato, neck/control plates, and switches are what remain), and I've refinished in metalic blue with matching headstock. The neck is an Allparts JGRO, and I added a switchcraft 3 way switch and wired the sliders for parallel/series and for out of phase.

I'm putting this together to give to my daughter, and I've got three choices for colors for pickguard/pickup covers/switch tip/vibrato tip:
1 - White for pickguard and pickup covers, black for tips
2 - White for pickguard, black for pickup covers and tips
3 - Tort pickguard, off-white/cream for everything else

The tort/cream was my original plan, but my daughter saw it assembled with color scheme 2 and liked that (she hasn't seen it with tort). So what do you all think?

Here's the guitar as a whole - with matching headstock and white color scheme.

Here's close-up of color scheme 1.

Close-up of color scheme 2.

Close-up of tort color scheme. Note the pickguard has a poor fit, so I'm going to have to get that re-done.

I prefer scheme 1, but they are all nice.

1 > 2 >> 3

If I'd stop buying old guitars to fix, I might actually learn to play.
Bringing instruments back to life since 2013.

I think you should show her all the options and let her pick. No doubt it's a cool guitar no matter what color combination.

That's an especially nice looking tort pick guard, but combo of the metallic blue paint + pearloid guard + white covers is the most aesthetically pleasing to my eyes.

I like white with uniformly black bits the best. I think it comes off as the most coherent and intentional scheme.

The tort looks good but it's value is pretty similar to that of the guitar body (that is, when it's rendered in black and white the light/dark values are similar) whereas the white is a nice strong contrast, just as the black bits are the strongest contrast to the guard.

If these three color schemes were an EP, the middle one would be the hit.

Why not consider a mint green one?
Of course, that was not one of the options...

Cheers,
Andy

www.LosVenturas.be

Page 1 of 1