Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Fender Tone Master amps

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next

Hi surf-brothers,

I need a new amp, but there is no music store around with a Fender Tone Master amp. Anyone here using it? and what do you think about it? Is the Tone Master Deluxe Reverb loud enough or should I go for the Tone Master Twin ?
I would go for the Tone Master Deluxe Reverb in the first case
Help me please Smile Cool

They both have switchable output power.
I would think the Twin would be more versatile since it can be switched from Full/85W, to 40W, 22W, 12W, 5W, 1W

Now I want one!!

Paul
Atomic Mosquitos
Bug music for bug people is here!
Killers from Space

I'm using a Twin Reverb Tone Master in the Royal Aces surf band here in Colorado. Great Twin Reverb tone, power, and reverb when practicing solo, or with the band. Will need to play a few gigs with it to be sure about how it performs there...and that will require the gigs to return!

I have the deluxe. It’s way loud enough for gigs. We do a lot of what we call “Stop, Drop & Rock!” Gigs. We take a small generator for the guitar and bass amp... Just set up wherever we want and GO! The deluxe is plenty loud. I do run it around 5-5 1/2. Just a bit of breakup. If you need crazy clean head room go for the twin. I had the twin initially, it was way too loud even with the attenuation for some of the indoor gigs we play. I dig the attenuation for practice, but the amp sound better (maybe because the speaker likes a little push) once you get up to the third or fourth notch on the attenuator.

www.instagram.com/_the.outer.limits_
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX7iIpcAvL8In2HY9I7QoPw
www.theouterlimits.bandcamp.com
www.facebook.com/vertigogo.surf

OK, thanks guys! Tone Master Deluxe is ordered than Smile

I think you'll like it! I have one along with a DRRI and some other cool amps. It gets used the most right now because of the silent recording capability.

Neptune Trojans

I have the Twin and I really like it. Works great with a tank: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnj5Cj-48WU

Dre
Delstroyers Facebook
Delstroyers Bandcamp

Drecula, that sounded great. Were you playing the Vara-Tones at the very end?

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

Dre - Wow that is some nice tone and playing! Thanks for sharing!!!

I have a 65 twin reissue that is just sitting in the garage because it's too loud.

Surfcat

2023 SG101 Compilation - Tribute to Noel
The Journey Home - Agent Octopus (Our SG101 Comp download)

From Atlantis with Love - Released - July 2023
Agent Octopus-Spotify
Christmas on the Beach - NEW SINGLE Dec 2023!!
Reverb Galaxy - Angle of Attack CD - BANDCAMP

Surf, the most dangerous of all musical genres...

Last edited: Jul 04, 2020 11:46:06

Hi guys, I have the Tone Master Deluxe for a week now, and it rocks!!! No doubt about it, it sounds just like the original, and even better (because I can lower the volume without losing tone).

Those amps sound great. Bonus for the ability to avoid bleeding eardrums, and saving your back every time you have to lift them.

Deal with reality, or reality will deal with you.

skeeter wrote:

They both have switchable output power.
I would think the Twin would be more versatile since it can be switched from Full/85W, to 40W, 22W, 12W, 5W, 1W

Now I want one!!

Me, too, but I want it in blonde tolex/wheat grille. I've had a few Twins over the years and I always end up selling them off due to their weight...well, I loaned my last new one to a friend and unfortunately blew it up/caught fire, something like that - yes, he paid me to fund another one...which I think ended up going to the purchase of another guitar. But I digress... Big Grin

The doofus formerly known as Snorre
Surfysonic on YouTube
World Famous Philistines: 2014 - 2015
K39: 2013 - 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv9JADQ4ukw

Surfysonic wrote:

Me, too, but I want it in blonde tolex/wheat grille.

I like my Deluxe so much I sent Fender an email and suggested they make a brown Vibroverb version. They said they're getting a lot of requests for tweed Bassman models.

Neptune Trojans

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020 21:05:16

I had a '90s Vibroverb that I used for gigging a few years back. I loved it but eventually let it go to help fund I believe at the time a Vibro King. I've since moved the VK on and happily ended up with a few vintage Fender amps ('60 Vibrasonic, '62 Bassman, and '63/'64 Princeton).

I would absolutely go for a brown Vibroverb version or pretty much any other brownface since brownface Fenders are my fave. I could go for a tweed Bassman.

Imagine a blonde Showman with a variety of wattage options (100w, 50w, 40w, 20, 15, 10, 1)...I'd go for that, too.

Surfysonic on YouTube

Last edited: Jul 09, 2020 16:43:19

Oh, man, with a high wattage neo cab! They could probably make a 2x12 under 30 lbs or close to it.

Neptune Trojans

In September they're releasing a blonde/oxblood version with a Celestion Creamback speakers for both the Deluxe and Twin. Wishes do come true! Big Grin

I'm gonna save up/sell gear to get the Twin. Cool

Actually, it looks like Fender is already selling them directly - TONE MASTER® TWIN REVERB® BLONDE

Surfysonic on YouTube

Last edited: Sep 08, 2020 10:29:24

What is the point of these amps? The Twin Reverb seems especially puzzling. Forgive me for sounding old-fashioned, here. Is it weight reduction? The line output? And why would you need IRs for the speaker? I am really confused.

I guess I have an idea about the deluxe; you could "crank" it at bedroom loudness. The Twin, though? Who wants to crank a Twin? I have actually dimed a lovely blackface Twin Reverb at an outdoor gig and it was not as awesome as you might think. Actually sounded quite farty and weird. Twins want to stay clean, IMHO.

SSIV

Last edited: Sep 07, 2020 16:39:05

One person who maxed out a Twin Reverb was Steve Jones of the Sex Pistols. Not surf music and maybe not your cup of tea, but he got a great noisy in your face sound out of it. And these days, he'd probably appreciate a lighter version of the amp.

So... first rehearsal with the band with the firmware update on my DR. It was great!!! Any of my minor issues with the amp have been solved. I use a fair amount of overdrive. the bright cap mod is perfect. Really tamed that spike and fizz when using OD. I fiddle with the reverb a bit through the course of the set and the smoother sweep of the control is super helpful. Other than overdrive, I don’t use any other effects so a little additional control is great.
To sum it up, it really works for me. The sound is just Solid! We’re a 3 piece, so I’ve got to do a lot of different kinds of playing. This amp handles it like a champ! (No pun intended... maybe intended. ) —

www.instagram.com/_the.outer.limits_
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX7iIpcAvL8In2HY9I7QoPw
www.theouterlimits.bandcamp.com
www.facebook.com/vertigogo.surf

I really like the look of that blonde/oxblood Twin. I think that may be the perfect amp for the other guitar player in The Driptones. Now we will have matching amps!

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next