Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
122 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink why do people call a tremelo arm a talent stick?

Page 1 of 1

I’ve only been playing 15 months or so but I love using my trem! I think I do it pretty well! What do guitar players mean when they call it a talent stick?

I've never heard that term. Just curious, where did you hear it?

The names that come up are funny.

First of all it's silly that the Fender refers to it as a tremolo arm, because the effect is actually vibrato, not tremolo, so off the bat it's confusing.

Some other terms that make me laugh are... wiggle stick, wang bar (eew!), dipper, and wah wah bar. The most common name for it that i've heard is whammy bar, so 80's.

Maybe some people call it a talent stick because they feel like it's another way express one's self on guitar, another way to articulate the musical language of guitar, which i assume takes talent.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020 10:39:22

I read it over on TDPRI.com.

There are some people who believe you can achieve the same results with finger vibrato and bends. I've seen online comments that Kerry King of Slayer wouldn't be able to solo without a whammy bar and wah pedal.
I'm sure Hank Marvin made extensive use of his to make up for his lack of talent. ( That's sarcasm in case someone gets the wrong idea!)

Makes sense now, on a telecaster forum they're trying to joke around and be sarcastic since telecasters are primarily hardtail instruments. The talent bar just isn't needed all that much in country music since they have the bendy chicken pickn' style and slide guitars. Although Merle Travis sometimes used a talent bar to very nice effect. Funny to know that's what they call it over there.

I too love to use it, and I feel like I'm missing something whenever I play a guitar not set up with a nice floating vibrato tailpiece.

This notion always confuses me. You can bend a string up with your fingers but not down. How is it that some people can't see that. I'd like to see someone to a dip with their fingers.

Surf_Skater wrote:

There are some people who believe you can achieve the same results with finger vibrato and bends. I've seen online comments that Kerry King of Slayer wouldn't be able to solo without a whammy bar and wah pedal.
I'm sure Hank Marvin made extensive use of his to make up for his lack of talent. ( That's sarcasm in case someone gets the wrong idea!)

Some folks think it's edgy and hip to push the neck forward to momentarily lower the pitch.

It's probably called a talent stick because, as others mentioned, you don't have to develop a finger vibrato. You do have to develop a tasty term-arm technique.
Personally, I like to combing both finger vibrato and trim arm vibrato.

Stormtiger wrote:

This notion always confuses me. You can bend a string up with your fingers but not down. How is it that some people can't see that. I'd like to see someone to a dip with their fingers.

I like to finger-bend up to a note, then pick it and bring it down in pitch, then come back up to the note. Though, as you point out, impossible to do on a low E (unless you do the tuning peg trick.)

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

Sonic_Blue wrote:

I read it over on TDPRI.com.

that term probably comes from the same types of players that consider any effects pedal use other than overdrive as 'excessive' and lacking skill.

nothing at all wrong with large pedalboards or vibrato mechanisms.

Nothing at all wrong with using a trem bar. Now I started guitar playing a lot of BB King blues and developed a strong "butterfly" finger vibrato. I prefer to use that if vibrato is required for a single note, but there is no way that is going to work for chords- especially if there are open strings, and these are frequently used in surf music.

A good tremolo arm technique is a skill unto itself. Nothing to be ashamed of.

A snarky term for no nothings because it is easy for any passerby to notice and point out and actually have a bit of a clue about the sonic effect. Like any musical tool, mechanical or electronic, the artistry is up to the artist and the critiques are for the critics. The lowering of pitch of all 6 strings at simultaneously varying varying percentages creates a complex ever changing set of harmonics. That's one of the reasons it sounds so good.

Squid From Madrid - New Single on Bandcamp
MB Website

I agree; it sounds a bit snarky.

Using one correctly requires some skill. I’ve seen players that use it as a crutch, of sorts, but I’ve seen plenty of skilled players whom used it sparingly and tastefully. Hank Marvin took it to new heights, using it frequently, but to such great effect.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

I feel this is a term that surfaced in the 80's when locking trem systems were starting to get popular. Is was used as an insult I believe, when in doubt do some whammy tricks to distract the crowd from mediocre playing. It seemed to work, though using one of those things really is a talent in itself. Check out the 6:40 mark in this Sweetwater vid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQTg9UltosU

Brian is an old pal, dude can rip with the best of them!

synchro wrote:

I agree; it sounds a bit snarky.

Using one correctly requires some skill. I’ve seen players that use it as a crutch, of sorts, but I’ve seen plenty of skilled players whom used it sparingly and tastefully. Hank Marvin took it to new heights, using it frequently, but to such great effect.

If it's good enough for Hank...

The term is pure snark. Yes, like anything, a trem bar can be overused or poorly used. But it can also be well and tastefully used. And all that is largely a matter of taste.

Some folks think it's edgy and hip to push the neck forward to momentarily lower the pitch.

Um .. nothing to do with edgy and hip - if you're playing a Telecaster, it works. I love Teles - they're their own thing, and I don't generally want a trem on mine. With a hand vibrato system, you gain some things, and also lose some things. Nice to have both.

The Delverados - surf, punk, trash, twang - Facebook
Chicken Tractor Deluxe - hardcore Americana - Facebook and Website
The Telegrassers - semi-electric bluegrass/Americana - Facebook

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020 15:19:10

First heard the term, "talent lever" used by the late James Wilsey on some internet forums, He had a dry sense of humour as well as being a virtuoso of the talent lever himself.

For those who dont know he was the guitartist on the early Chris Isaak's records.

An example of his work Wicked Game

Freshwater Surfin'

The Murray Basin
Australia

Last edited: Aug 02, 2020 02:50:20

"Talent stick," explains Chet Atkins' impeccable playing. Video recordings show his dependence on it. Regarding Hank Marvin, I hear volume swells more than vibrato.

Insanitizers! http://www.insanitizers.com

Squid wrote:

"Talent stick," explains Chet Atkins' impeccable playing. Video recordings show his dependence on it. Regarding Hank Marvin, I hear volume swells more than vibrato.

Without a Bigsby, Chet would have been nobody. Smile

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Page 1 of 1