Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink The String thread

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 225 26 27 28 29 Next

XLNT! Thank you very much for taking the time and effort to post this information as requested. I'm grateful to you, and as I said earlier, I had no idea that this sort of difference in tension even existed. I just assumed that tension was uniform across all brands for a given gauge, but this is clearly NOT the case.

I am going to enjoy looking over this data and making some better choices on strings in the future.

Thanks again.

"Heavy is good. Heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it." - Boris the Blade

O.K., so I've looked over these various string tension charts, and I'll be honest, its awfully tough to make much sense of any of it. There's little difference in 'complete set tensions' between sets of comparable gauges, regardless of brand, and I just don't see a huge difference in string-to-string variability by brand either.

Moreover, some of the numbers appear to be flat-out erroneous or testing anomalies. For example, the D'Addario chart lists the tension of an .048" string as being LESS than that of an 0.050" string, and an 0.038" as being LESS than that of an 0.020"? And on the TI string chart, their unwound 0.014" has roughly the same tension as their 0.031" wound string, yet MORE than any single one of their other strings?

All of that seems completely non-sensical to me. I understand that its possible for a wound string (of higher diameter) to have LESS tension than an unwound string of lesser diameter. I get that, but why would the TI 0.014" string (at a whopping 31.0 lbs., compared to only 17 lbs. for the comparable D'Addario), have MORE tension than any other single TI string that they make, from 0.012" all the way up to 0.055"??

And its important to note that that same phenomenon is apparently NOT true with the D'Addario's. In other words, the D'Addario 0.014" (at just 17.85 lbs.), is expectedly LESS than all other higher-gauge strings. That disparity between the two brands and the two charts is a bit puzzling!

"Heavy is good. Heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it." - Boris the Blade

Last edited: Mar 04, 2019 13:38:02

Ive been toying with different brands of “vintage” strings.
More precise “round core, pure nickel”
Ive tried
Pyramid
DR
GHS
La Bella

The DR for regular plain unwound G sound the best and feel lighter tension wise although im using 11-50s

Hey! I'm still loving the DR Zebras for the bottom four strings, but those unwound strings are just so damn screechy!

Can anyone comment on the "least screechy" High E (.13) and B (.17) strings out there?

Daniel Deathtide

whats everyones take on stringjoy strings. ive used em before and they are good. ive been trying different brands for a while now to see which ones i like

So uh. I just got back into guitar playing a year ago, and I've always used super slinkys or whatever they're called and I want to change to something heavier, I know how to change strings but I've never done a setup myself (outside of lowering the bridge on the Fender when I got it used), what kind of strings should I use and how complicated is it to set up?

Bluefeather42 wrote:

So uh. I just got back into guitar playing a year ago, and I've always used super slinkys or whatever they're called and I want to change to something heavier, I know how to change strings but I've never done a setup myself (outside of lowering the bridge on the Fender when I got it used), what kind of strings should I use and how complicated is it to set up?

If you're going to up to heavier gauges, it can be a little tricker than going down because the nut slots will likely need to be filed wider to accomodate the thicker strings.

That issue aside, the rest can be a little time-consuming, but it's do-able with a few tools that you're likely to have around the house...

https://the-birdcage.bandcamp.com/

Really interesting to read about people's experiences of flats and half-rounds....and reeeallly heavy gauges....

I've been using Ernie Ball "Beefy" Slinky's 11-54.

They're 11, 14, 22, 30, 42, 54, but I replace the 22 with a 20 because I find it beyond hard to bend.

(I'm using a japanese Fender Jazzmaster)

https://the-birdcage.bandcamp.com/

I have a J Mascus Squier Jazzmaaster with roundwounds. I would like to put on flatwounds for a better "surf" (50's sound). Back in the early "60's I played guitar and really did not like light guage (slinky's) I'm a bass player and have no intention of playing the JM out; just at home along with YouTube and MP3's. I can play some simple Surf lead, Let's Go Trippin', Wipeoout, Honky Tonk, Bulldog, etc. Since I play bass with flatwounds i feel I can handle a thicker guage, so what guage do you guys suggest; I'm looking at 12's but may be able to handle 13's. I looked on this and other sites but found no answers

Daddy wrote:

I have a J Mascus Squier Jazzmaaster with roundwounds. I would like to put on flatwounds for a better "surf" (50's sound). Back in the early "60's I played guitar and really did not like light guage (slinky's) I'm a bass player and have no intention of playing the JM out; just at home along with YouTube and MP3's. I can play some simple Surf lead, Let's Go Trippin', Wipeoout, Honky Tonk, Bulldog, etc. Since I play bass with flatwounds i feel I can handle a thicker guage, so what guage do you guys suggest; I'm looking at 12's but may be able to handle 13's. I looked on this and other sites but found no answers

You JM probably came with 10s. Going to 13s would be a big jump. I would start with 12s and then go to 13s if you want next time you change. It will let your hands build up to the heavier gauge.

Be advised that you are going to need to tighten the neck truss rod to accommodate the strings, and possibly have to file the nut. It's a pain because you need to remove the neck on a JM to adjust the truss rod. You generally will have to make several adjustments to get it right. Unless you are real comfortable working on guitars, take it to a luthier for a professional setup. Should cost no more than $100 or so.

If you do this you may just want to go to 13s if you think you can handle it (as a Bass player, you might).

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020 09:11:49

My search is over. After trying every kind of string under the sun, I found the perfect strings for classic surf a couple of years ago: Thomastik-Infeld JS112. Pure nickel flatwound on a round core. The gauges are 12, 16, 20w, 27, 37 and 50. The middle strings seem light, but Thomastik-Infeld does this to balance the tension, every string has around 11 kilos of tension on a 25.5 scale guitar.

The sound is extremely well-defined. They are bright for flatwounds when new, but after some hours of playing, they become just right. Still brighter than Pyramids, with less difference in timbre between B and G strings.

I use these on my Jazzmasters (and other full-scale guitars). On a Jaguar or Mustang, I would use the 13–53 set.

After many years as a strat player, I purchased my first Jazzmaster. I decided to dedicate it for surf playing.

At first I put flatwounds but changed very soon. Flatwounds sounded too dull in my ears. The attack of the notes is more present in roundwounds so I switched to those.

However I have a problem. I use a plain G. The notes in this string "die out" very easily. It's like there is no sustain. Especially if I play an open G note. A guitar tech that I know, told me that plain G strings of that diameter tend to do that, because their mass doesn't help them vibrate. In the case of wound strings, the wounds help them vibrate cause the mass amount is smaller.

Has anyone had the same issue?

Surf Rock from the Northern Greece seas
http://meanwhileinmexico.gr/

Could that be a nut thing? I wish all six strings could be wound! Maybe try subbing another brand’s wound G and test your theory? I’ve heard that a lack of sustain is usually the nut, but sometimes the bridge. I agree about flats!

Daniel Deathtide

Could be a nut thing indeed. I will have to test it!

Surf Rock from the Northern Greece seas
http://meanwhileinmexico.gr/

I love the feel and tension of the .12-.52 DR Pure blues on my Stat and Jaszzmaster. However, the same strings on my Jag feel too "loose" and "light," if that makes sense. I have decided to have my luthier put 13's on it for me.

I am seriously considering having Pyramid Gold or Thomastik flatwounds installed, and would love to hear some (current) thoughts and feedback from you guys. Thanks for your help!

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

Last edited: Feb 01, 2022 14:44:46

That is a good call! I use 12s on the jazz master and Strat, but 13s on the Jag and they feel the same.

I am in a huge quandary! DR have stopped making Zebra strings, which is all I have played for decades. They are the perfect blend of fundamental and harmonics, with a little more emphasis on the fundamental, but not nearly as much as flat wounds.

I may read through this thread to get ideas. I’ve always been a round wound fellow, but those D’Adarrio Chromes flatwounds sound pretty dang good. And they have harmonics that I usually don’t hear with flats. Expensive, but perhaps the next best thing?

Daniel Deathtide

DeathTide, let me know how those D’Adarrio Chromes feel and sound. I just ordered some Pyramid .13-.56 strings, they are really expensive! I'll let you guys know what I think after I get my guitar back from my tech.

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

Give the pyramids time to break in. They don't sound like they 'should' right out of the box. Once they do, they are glorious.
They feel a little bit more slippery than the thomastik flats.
But it is all about what you like.
Cheers, Andy

www.LosVenturas.be

Yeah, Pyramid flats sound quite sterile out of the box and take some time to break in and come alive. I've used the brand for many years on my two flatwound stringed Fenders and here's what their .13-.56 set sounds on a stock CIJ Jag once broken in (although this is my brother Jack playing lead on his CIJ Jag).

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Klas wrote:

Yeah, Pyramid flats sound quite sterile out of the box and take some time to break in and come alive. I've used the brand for many years on my two flatwound stringed Fenders and here's what their .13-.56 set sounds on a stock CIJ Jag once broken in (although this is my brother Jack playing lead on his CIJ Jag).

Waitamimute! You use flats for that drip?!! I think I’m gonna get a whole batch of chromes. I only got a .056 to replace the DR Zebra .056 which was too thuddy and dull. The chrome .056 sounded very nice, super loud and with a great big tone, but it didn’t match the other Zebras as well.

Daniel Deathtide

Goto Page: Previous 1 225 26 27 28 29 Next