Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
123 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink The Horror.....The Horror....

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3

I agree with you Lorenzo. I think everyone should speak their mind on this forum. From what I read you didn't insult anyone personally. This site IS good because there are debates and arguments from passionate people. I hope they continue. Argument shouldn't be a dirty word

Paul

The Dead Planet Surfers

I feel compelled to respond and correct a few things about how this conversation has actually progressed. It’s a little tough to piece back together because of the request to delete posts with sequence and time stamps, but lets give it a shot.

surferjoemusic wrote

You don’t know me

You are right. Well, sort of. We met in person in California at an SG101 convention. I want to say 2012, maybe 2013. I made it a point to say hello, I asked about any future for Wadadli Riders which it turns out had ended not that many years prior (I didn’t know that at the time), Surfer Joe Festival, who you were most looking forward to see at SG101 that year to which I quickly got brushed aside for you to reconnect with your existing friend group. You and me never again to connect.

No harm, no foul. I get it. Having attended several SG101's, I know all too well that despite being a long weekend with stuff going on from sun up to well past sun down, there is NEVER enough time to catch up with old friends, let alone make many new ones.

Outside of that, yeah, like most of the rest of the internet universe, we only get to know who anyone is from how they show up in social media and on-line forums like this. Good or bad, a faint fraction of who we are in real life, it is our identity and reputation on the internet - who people know us to be.

surferjoemusic wrote

Reposts the last response post that was previously deleted upon your request

Thanks for that. It helps discuss what was really said vs. my recollection and impression after it was posted then deleted.

I read your re-posted response and my take away remains largely as I initially remembered it. The key take aways for me:
- You care deeply about preserving and protecting the purest, most authentic, traditional definition of surf music as you see it.
- You only want people talking and posting their beliefs on what surf is or is not to only happen after they've become deeply studied experts. Those who don’t are a/the problem and need to be corrected; not doing so impacts your life and livelihood.
- Your search results on YouTube when you search "Surf Music" are littered first and foremost with this nonsense, and no sight of original pure and true Surf Music. Way too many self proclaimed but clearly wrong gurus like the video in the original post. (Oddly, when I search You Tube for "Surf music” I see a lot of classic 60's first wave stuff, some modern stuff, and a mix of play lists - some on point, others the modern liberal definition of surf music. Yeah, I get a Stray Cats, Link Wray and a Jack Johnson in the first page scroll or two, but none of these deceitful liars spreading corrupt anti-surf propaganda)
- You worry that this person on YouTube and others like her are ruining real history and that people around the world will only see that stuff, and believe her to speak the gospel, without question (despite only having a channel for 3 months). You are concerned that once the casual researcher wonders about surf music finds this video or others like it there is no hope, they are ruined.
- You suggest I can give but can't take, that I'm stupid for thinking the original video content and the like is good. (I never said it was or wasn't good, only the terse content you posted previously in the thread intimated arrogance and put-downs, and as a self proclaimed ambassador, I said your words and posts count more than most and I thought you were out of line.)

surferjoemusic wrote

(response to surf-matze)

I read as: Look at my tireless life's work only to be be called a dick, and then have my posts counted.

Actually, no. I never once commented about your life's work. I said I thought you were out of line in this thread, especially for someone espousing to be the international ambassador, and particularly when you pulled in another forum members video to suggest how many wrong and misguided people there are putting this crap out in the world.

You went on to respond to me with what I read as an explanation and justification for your posts in this thread; there is one pure true Surf Music and anyone who hasn't studied it as deeply and as committed as you doesn't deserve to post or talk about in a way that appears to be conveying knowledge to others. And if they do, it is your mission to dispel such offensive and corrosive propaganda.

When other members initially started talking about why not open arms and inviting them in, and partly true or directionally right, or goodness of intention… you tell us you’re just joking.

(Note, at this point, you offer zero actual critique about the substance of the video. No ‘points 1, 2, 3 are right, 4 is half right, 5 is completely wrong, 6, 7, 8 aren’t my cup of tea but…’. Actually, you still haven’t offered any actual critique of what is true and what is false in the video that originated this thread.)

Never the less, I took your initial response to my call out to heart. Fully recognizing that my readership and participation here in the last few years has wained significantly and been spurts at best. Before I comment further, I should pause and look at your contributions here. Sorry, I don't do any other recreational social media to see how you show up online elsewhere.

Rather than generalize and take sweeping liberties with a sound bite here or there, I chose to look for evidence, facts and data - research history.

Turns out, your espoused personal mission to spread Surf Music history truth doesn't show up on SG101.

Did I look far enough back? Am I being fair and reasonable in my search? Lets look back a few years.

So when you justify your participation on this conversation by telling me/us your passion and rationale as to why you feel compelled to critique content is to defend and protect accuracy of what is Surf because that is your life mission… um, ok.

surferjoemusic wrote

I have always used this forum respectfully, making some jokes sometimes and having some fun. Then some Fady guy counts and measures the number of posts I have written in the past 2 years when I was busy touring, organising (and with "organising" I mean spending the fucking days to book hotel room for bands and trying to find ways not to loose money with 25 employees to pay at every summer festival) thinking about calling me a dick.

Actually, no. That's not how it happened. After I read your response back to me and I reflected, then I respond with data and analysis to say 'Well, actually, you don't seem so committed to that mission of dispelling online mistruths and ignorance about surf music. That's actually the very least thing you do here as far as I can see.'

By the way - I never once said you don't do enough for Surf Music and the Surf Community. I only said you were showing up here like a jerk and took it to a place that, in my opinion, was bad for the community overall all context of the conversation and participants considered (what was said, not said, how it was said, by whom, with what standing and reputation).

surferjoemusic wrote

This said, look at my first post: I have made fun of the PRODUCT.

Actually, we can't. You asked for those to be removed too.

As I recall them though, they were curt and I’d argue to at least a few of us, your initial participation seemed to suggest ‘geez, more stupid people in the world - just like this other guy’.

If that wasn’t the intent of your jokes, my bad. But based on others who weighed in before and after I did, I am pretty sure I am not alone in taking them as insults to the original video poster and Don as people.

surferjoemusic wrote

I just said that the girl gives not correct information and call the Ventures, VENTÙRES. Don calls the reverb, REVÈRB.

Yes, yes you did… after you were called out for what was unflattering and or just out of line as I saw it. Had you actually written that statement as your first post, I certainly would not have responded to the thread - or if I did, it would have only been a +1 to appreciate the intention, nod to the parts that were mostly right and hoped for a new member.

I am sorry this thread and previous exchanges made you compelled to quit SG101 and walk away with nothing more to say. And I am glad you actually didn’t. No matter how you showed up in this conversation, your life's work in service to Surf is important, valued and appreciated.

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

SG101 & Lorenzo,

I apologize for my behavior in this thread and particularly where I ended up taking it.

What began as an effort and intention to protect and promote community and participation and speak up when I felt it was in danger quickly became my post right above this one - basically a he said / he said versions of what transpired, what was said, not said, meant, not meant, and so on.

I'm smarter than that. I absolutely know how problematic writing/text can be when trying to have a conversation. Lesson learned once again.

It is always the case, but especially with the crap going on in this country and around the world right now, the last thing this sacred forum and tiny community needs is more bad juju.

The last thing I want to do is be someone to make this a place where people get bummed out by the conversations - and especially when it has nothing to do about the music we all love dearly. Regrettably, I've fallen short on that very desire.

I am sorry, Lorenzo, and I'm sorry to all y'all.

Peace, Love, and More Reverb

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020 05:31:07

OMG))) What a mess. Some good points here and there aside from some being too personal.

Speaking of Lorenzo’s contribution to this forum, surely I would like to read not only his jokes (that I love!) but also more of his thoughts and knowledge on surf music that are really interesting and profound. But it’s his choice to contribute more in the real life, that I consider to be much more challenging and important nowdays.

Waikiki Makaki surf-rock band from Ukraine

New Single is out!

https://waikikimakaki.bandcamp.com/album/rhino-blues-full-contact-surf-single

Waikiki Makaki

https://linktr.ee/waikikimakaki

Lost Diver

https://lostdiver.bandcamp.com
https://soundcloud.com/vitaly-yakushin

I also apologize to SG101 and Fady for this discussion of course. But I say this to make clear, in case it’s not, that I deeply respect this forum and the people participating in it. So it should have to be clear that these are arguments between people who share a common interest. But obviously sometimes discussions can become particularly intense.

My excessive care for this genre still affects me and I get upset when I see things not correct or that may bring new people approaching to surf music to think it’s all a stupid and easy, when there is a lot of fundamental history of modern music in the background. And the information written in this forum and its archive it’s really a detailed encyclopedia that should have to be credited as the ultimate resource for the genre.

This said, I am not taking back anything that I posted since, as I explained, I think before posting and usually take responsibilities for my actions. Also I have the defect to be sincere and honest and in most cases I tell things pretty straight, even when they are uncomfortable. I know that this can cause problems to my reputation and create enemies, but I am willing to taking these risks in order to say what I feel.

I apologize if someone felt offended, and once more I say that I have been referring to the videos per se and their contents. Sorry if it seemed differently. So Fady I hope we are clear.

Lorenzo "Surfer Joe" Valdambrini
(www.surfmusic.net)

Thanks Lorenzo. Yep, all clear, all good. Bygones, my friend.

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Group hug.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

DeathTide wrote:

I just couldn’t make it past the first jump cut.

Couldn't make it to two minutes Mad

Photo tip : If you want really creepy looking eyes use a ring light.

Interesting thread. I had a knee jerk reaction to her video when it was posted on the SG Facebook Group. But I quickly saw that she was completely open and welcoming to learning about all that was going on in the modern genre. And she learned about a TON of bands that day.

So I would call the entire situation a win.

THE KBK ... This is the last known signal. We offer Sanctuary.

www.thekbk.com
http://www.deepeddy.net/artists/thekbk/
www.reverbnation.com/thekbk
www.facebook.com/thekbkal

Hey look! SiriusXM has a surf channel now! Duh Stir the Pot

I wish they all could be West End girls.

And apparently the Pet Shop Boys were a 1st Wave band!!

Thanks, I’ll be here all night! Rimshot

Picard Face Palm

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Being a fan of the different styles of surf music (both vocal and instrumental)for 5 decades I did like the film.
"The vinyl guru" lady presented this with a smile and smug talking comparing the boy band "Pet Shop Boys" to the old Beach Boys as an early sixties boy goup and grapping the "Pet Sounds" cover (Pet from Pet Shop Boys and Pet from Pet Sounds) just to replace it with the "Surfin´ Safari" LP cover while playing "Surfer Girl" just to hold the correct cover into the camera.
Frankly, for me it was a very funny video (I´d like to have so many albums in my files).
People, don´t take yourself too serious about this.
surf music is there to have fun and enjoy yourself!!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3