Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
326 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
254 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
254 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
174 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
152 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
120 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
114 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
75 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
8 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
8 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Videos »

Permalink Ivan Pongracic Sr. and Jr. playing some Shadows chestnuts for Christmas

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Once again, Ivan, great work! If there is ever a mass revival of Shadows music, you will be on the avant-garde. Smile

One of the best things I ever learned about setting up a Fender amp is to reduce the Bass tone control to prevent the bass from overwhelming the sound. The result is actually a stronger bass, because it’s not overwhelming the senses of the listeners.

Some years ago, I was playing a Gretsch event and had my TRRI in a piggyback cabinet with a 15” Eminence Commonwealth speaker. That is a great Surf amp, sort of a poor man’s answer to a vintage Showman, and it’s an amp I love to this day. But that day, Winfield Thomas brought a Cyclone, which is based upon an early AC-15 design, with an EF-86 up front. The speaker cabinet held a 12” Weber Blue Dog. I was astounded by how good it sounded for Surf and other Instrumental Rock. BTW, that very amp is about 6’ away from where I am sitting right now, so my initial reactions were durable; I still love that sound.

One of the first things I learned on this forum was that the Blackface Twin was quite different from the Brownface Showman. Either can be great Surf amps, but they are not the same. The classic sounds of Instrumental Rock came from a lot of sources. (I realize that some don’t like that term, but I feel it is a good blanket term to describe instrumentals from the ‘50s until now. It is meant with all due respect.) The early examples were played on Tweed amps and all sorts of early designs.

The Vox family developed in Great Britain, and a sound developed based upon that family of amps. Interestingly, Hank Marvin expanded his sound via the skillful use of delays and, to the best of my knowledge didn’t use reverb all that much, if at all. It was a completely different approach, from the American side of the pond. It led to the sound heard on the stage of the Ed Sullivan Show, Feb 9th, 1964.

For a kid growing up in the US during that time period, it was an abrupt change. I had heard Chet Atkins, Duane Eddy, the Ventures and The Beach Boys, but I would venture that the Beatles were the first time I head a Vox amp.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Merry Christmas from the Pongracics! Back to the holiday tradition of presenting some Shadows music for you all, here's "Guitar Tango" - authentically played entirely acoustic! Hope it brings you a bit more joy, never too much on this day!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Hurray!!! Oh, I am so glad to see this! Catching the earlier comment about your dad’s ‘readiness’ in the Space Cossacks holiday track thread made me think it may retreat to in the room fun only. Thank you both for keeping the tradition alive and sharing the Christmas joy! So cool! Merry Christmas, Ivan Jr & Sr!

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Nice work Ivan, and the very best to you and your father. Watching the two of you playing these songs warms my heart.

Thank you very much, fellas, glad you enjoyed it! Here's one more for you:

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

This is cool, what song is this?
sorry for not recognizing it.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

IvanP wrote:

Thank you very much, fellas, glad you enjoyed it! Here's one more for you:

Nice work. You really capture Hank’s sound.

Thanks, synchro, I appreciate that!

bigtikidude wrote:

This is cool, what song is this?
sorry for not recognizing it.

It's "My Resistance is Low", a track from their debut album from '61. It's a real favorite of the die-hard fans but not very well known to the more casual fans.

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Ok, thanks. I have the first album on cd.
But don’t listen often, I’m guilty of playing the import best of.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Excellent Ivan! The best to you and your dad!

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

Beautiful playing!

What great playing, and a great use of a music site like SG101.

I'm so happy you and your Dad shared some of these with us again!
Wonderful as always.

Happy Holidays to you and the family!

http://www.facebook.com/CrazyAcesMusic
http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyacesrock
http://www.reverbnation.com/crazyacesmusic

Bump for anyone else like me who may not have seen the latest installment! (Thanks to Lords of Atlantis press!)

My comments there worth repeating:

Also, with apologies to Jeremy, Dane, Jonpaul, even more enjoyable was discovering that you and your dad were at it once again this past Christmas! Of course, the familiar setting for your latest Vintage Guitar piece prompted me to look for your regular channel for other videos. I didn't want to ask, and up to now didn't even want to go looking honestly. (File under: 'don't ask the question you don't want to know the answer to'). I had been wondering if that was something you were able to do anymore. Those Shadows tunes video's with your dad have always been a cherished highlight of the holiday season; so heartwarming and most enjoyable to see that you are both still at it, and just as great as ever!

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

That's truly great to see, Fady, thank you so much! I failed in my duty to update this thread Laughing and I really appreciate you doing so! I'm actually kinda shocked to realize that it was three years since the last time that my dad and I shot videos of us playing together, I had no idea. He did get a bit bored with it and didn't play nearly as much guitar the past few years, but at the strong suggestion by Robert Aleandru Dobre of the Undercurrents from Bucharest, Romania a couple of months ago to get back to it and shoot more videos, I did push my dad a bit to do so again and he actually went along, which was a bit of a surprise. But then once we did these, he REALLY enjoyed it and now wants us to plan on doing more in the future! I guess you just never know!

(Crazy, though, our video of "Blue Sky, Blue Sea, Blue Me" that I posted the day after Christmas, is now at more than 3,700 views on Facebook! Shock That is unbelievable - but o course, very welcome! It's wonderful to see that people so enjoy seeing us play together.)

Thank you so much for posting those videos and reviving this thread again, Fady, and, of course, for you very nice comments, too!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

IvanP wrote:

That's truly great to see, Fady, thank you so much! I failed in my duty to update this thread Laughing and I really appreciate you doing so! I'm actually kinda shocked to realize that it was three years since the last time that my dad and I shot videos of us playing together, I had no idea. He did get a bit bored with it and didn't play nearly as much guitar the past few years, but at the strong suggestion by Robert Aleandru Dobre of the Undercurrents from Bucharest, Romania a couple of months ago to get back to it and shoot more videos, I did push my dad a bit to do so again and he actually went along, which was a bit of a surprise. But then once we did these, he REALLY enjoyed it and now wants us to plan on doing more in the future! I guess you just never know!

(Crazy, though, our video of "Blue Sky, Blue Sea, Blue Me" that I posted the day after Christmas, is now at more than 3,700 views on Facebook! Shock That is unbelievable - but o course, very welcome! It's wonderful to see that people so enjoy seeing us play together.)

Thank you so much for posting those videos and reviving this thread again, Fady, and, of course, for you very nice comments, too!

Knowing his backstory, your father is an inspiration to me. The fact the he plays guitar is a plus, but I admire his character, first and foremost. Seeing the two of you play music together is a real joy. My father sang like Bing Crosby. He and I never played music together, and I regret it to this day. You have a real privilege to be able to share music with your dad.

Thank you very much, Synchro, that's very nice to hear! I'll be speaking with him tomorrow and will be sure to pass on your comments to him, I'm sure he will love to hear them!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

IvanP wrote:

Thank you very much, Synchro, that's very nice to hear! I'll be speaking with him tomorrow and will be sure to pass on your comments to him, I'm sure he will love to hear them!

Please do. It’s meant from the heart. His is a truly amazing story.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8