Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink "Compressor breathing" ?

Page 1 of 1

Reading Phil Dirt's review of The Surf Raiders's "Surfin' Fever" album. For the song "Surf Raider" he states: "This track is notable as much for the incorrectly set compressor breathing as the tune." What does "compressor breathing" mean? I'm not a musician or a studio tech. That's a new term for me.

EDIT: Here it is on YouTube FWIW https://youtu.be/A7ZIoPJO39w

Last edited: May 07, 2020 16:52:57

Compressor breathing, or pumping, is a consequence of short release times. The release time determines how quickly the compressor stops acting once the signal returns below the threshold (ie the point where the compressor begins to turn down the level of the signal). Very short releases can cause the material to breathe, or pump (essentially jump up and down in a rhythmic fashion). In some genres this can be considered a desirable effect, but, while potentially exciting, it’s not very natural sounding. Consequently, it’s probably not what you want in surf music.

Los Fantasticos

Thank you. Smile

Yeah, the volume can have weird jumps. It can be on a single instrument or the whole mix depending on what's being compressed. There's a whole world of compression knowledge in the engineering/production side of things.

Squid From Madrid - New Single on Bandcamp
MB Website

As said before - it can be used to make the recording 'throb' - if it's in time with the music it's an extra dynamic. If it's out of time with the music then it's pretty distracting. Early Who recordings used compressors with great effect.

One technique is to control the compressor with the kick drum. When the kick drum sounds, the recording compresses to allow the drum sound through, then the compressor releases why the time the next kick sounds, making the recording sort of pulse, or breathe in time with the drum. I hope that's right!

I think it's very commonly used these days. In the past, compressors were expensive so studios didn't have many. With digital recording you can have them all over the place!

http://thewaterboarders.bandcamp.com/

This is from Bob Katz "The Secret of the Mastering Engineer", which may help explain compressors:
Manipulating Dynamics: Creating the Impact of Music:
Consider this rhythmic passage, representing a piece of modern pop music:
shooby dooby doo WOP...shooby dooby doo WOP...shooby dooby doo WOP

The accent point in this rhythm comes on the backbeat (WOP), often a snare drum hit. If you strongly compress this music piece, it might change to:
SHOOBY DOOBY DOO WOP...SHOOBY DOOBY DOO WOP...SHOOBY DOOBY DOO WOP

This completely removes the accent feel from the music, which is probably counterproductive.

A light amount of compression might accomplish this...
shooby dooby doo WOP...shooby dooby doo WOP...shooby dooby doo WOP ...which could be just what the doctor ordered for this music.
Strengthening the subaccents may give the music even more interest. But just like the TV weatherperson who puts an accent on the wrong syllable because they've been taught to "punch" every sentence ("The weather FOR tomorrow will be cloudy"), it's wrong to go against the natural dynamics of music. Unless you're trying for a special effect, and purposely creating an abstract composition. Much of hip hop music, for example, is intentionally abstract....anything goes, including any resemblance to the natural attacks and decays of musical instruments.

• Back to "Shooby doo". This kind of manipulation can only be accomplished with careful adjustment of thresholds, compressor attack and release times.

I recommend getting a copy of Bob Katz book - it's an interesting insight into what goes into a recording to make it sound 'natural'.

http://thewaterboarders.bandcamp.com/

da-ron wrote:

I recommend getting a copy of Bob Katz book - it's an interesting insight into what goes into a recording to make it sound 'natural'.

Is it all as well explained as your piece above?

Clarry wrote:

da-ron wrote:

Is it all as well explained as your piece above?

It’s very technical.

Los Fantasticos

Page 1 of 1