Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink The Surfy Bear Fet Reverb

Goto Page: Previous 1 2125 126 127 128 129135 136 Next

Finally finished my build! Got lots of help from this thread and the Trem one - I fitted the slow trem switch from there.

This was the first cabinet I ever built from scratch.

Sad not everyone will get to make one of these... although there is the tube-town one, which I have and will report on when I have time.

Very cool build!

127 pages of creativity. Who would have thought. Smile

I have been reading through this thread methodically and am blown away by all of the amazing builds, and helpfulness, from everyone.

I was recently able to find one of the last DIY kits for sale on reverb, and am about to embark on my own build.

One question I have not found an answer to in my search, is about the grounding/ground potential of the inputs and outputs.

Is it safe to create a star ground off of the circuit board? Can the output and input jacks for the reverb pan be grounded to the chassis, i.e. to one another? Or do each of the jacks truly need a separate ground wire back to the circuit?

Thank you again to everyone for all of the amazing inspiration and helpfulness.

ach wrote:

Is it safe to create a star ground off of the circuit board? Can the output and input jacks for the reverb pan be grounded to the chassis, i.e. to one another? Or do each of the jacks truly need a separate ground wire back to the circuit?

Hi Ach
I am glad to hear you found a kit

Wow! 127 pages. The last time I was in the ballpark to get a Reverb Tank was to replace my original vintage tank and I ended up with a Gomez G-Spring.

See you in 6 years when I catch up on the posts!

"as he stepped into the stealthy night air... little did he know the fire escape was not there"

https://www.facebook.com/reluctantaquanauts/
https://www.facebook.com/TheDragstripVipers/

Does anyone have a kit they’re looking to unload? I’m looking for the SurfyBear and the tremolo kits.

Thanks so much!

Spanky

Hey everyone. Finished my Surfybear DIY build 'The Drip' yesterday, and want to say thank you to everyone for the unending information and helpfulness on this forum.

My build uses a 125B enclosure with all top jacks, dual mixers, and a selectable C10 mod. It was a challenge making it all fit, but it genuinely sounds amazing and I am delighted. The trick to making this build work was using a star ground in the case and reducing wherever possible the number of wires going to the PCB. By going this route and using one additional off-board capacitor, I reduced the wires to the PCB to only 8 instead of 17! I used 20-awg magnet wire which I love for building as it allows almost architectural wire routing.
The case was finished with 23-carat gold leaf under waterslide artwork. The pan is bolted under my pedalboard.

I love it! Thanks again.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020 13:38:46

Wow, ach! Great work! Thanks for posting pictures of the insides, it looks gorgeous. Top job.

I've read through the thread but wasn't taking note of ground/earthing schemes. I was only checking out cosmetics. Typical me.

With star earths, what are people using for their central earth? Is everyone earthing the input jacks etc?

Last edited: May 17, 2020 03:54:49

@Paul_T For my build (two posts above) I moved as many grounds off the board as possible, and simply made a star ground at the DC jack - though, all of the jacks were top mounted in a pedal enclosure so it was basically a star ground at all of the jacks and DC input. I also didn't insulate the RCA connectors. I have a no noise issues at all, cheers!

@SandBug Thanks for the kind words. Loving this pedal.

@Ach, maybe you already know this from the instructions that come with the kit, but the idea is to peel off the blue film, and then stick/glue the pcb to a metal enclosure or separate heat sink.
The foam underneath the blue film is similar to coolant or thermal paste.
Aren't you afraid of those MOSFETS getting too hot? Especially in such a tiny enclosure with no air vents?

@j_flanders Sorry for the late reply. Yes indeed there is a screw hole through the bottom plate of the pedal to firmly attach the PCB, and the blue backer was removed. I originally braised the nut onto the PCB, but ended up having to do some finicky plier work to tighten the bolt. Thanks for being helpful!

New user and first post here, so: Hello everyone! It's amazing to see so much creativity here! Very cool projects!
I finished mine about one and a half years ago. Sadly I didn't know how to do such cool dual Dwell-presets as @ach did - also I still don't know what the C10 Mod is... I think I have to catch up some pages here.
Nevertheless - I'm pretty pleased with the outcome!
Ladies and Gentlemen, hereby I present: The Dynamic Duo

It's both their DIY kits combined in a self bent aluminum enclosure - still wired in True Bypass (which doesn't make much sense with the Reverb almost always on - I know - but this is what I thought would be best - and I was too shy/lazy to open it up again).

The utility-belt switch on the top changes the order of the effect. I mostly run Reverb before Trem - which feels most logical for the classic surf use with the Trem from the Amp and the Reverb from the tank - but I wanted to be able to have both.

I recently moved it to the back row (again, Reverb is mostly on) and have the long tank mounted on the underside of my pedalboard with NO issues at all. Even with drums and the whole band jumping on the stage. I can kick it if I want to but otherwise it's silent. I play it with a lot with Fuzz and sometimes a Slap-back kind of Echo. Surf-Doom-Garage-Space-Rock and recently also some Italo-Western stuff...and I'm very pleased with it! I would love to try other springs (lengths and brands) at some point - but other than that I'm pretty happy with it!

TENTACULA: Garage-Psych-Heavy-Surf-Rock
Tentacula @ Bandcamp Tentacula @ Instagram Tentacula @ Facebook my gear collection @ instagram

stratdancer wrote:

Hopefully this hasn't been covered already. I did try to do a search and it didn't come up so hopefully I don't get yelled at for starting this thread. Anyway, I found this Fetverb reverb unit which is supposed to be a G-15 clone and the guy that makes them. Anybody know anything about this circuit?

http://surfybear.weebly.com/new-pcb-and-kit.html

Check this out
https://www.stereoshore.com/seymour-duncan-vs-dimarzio/

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020 10:56:32

@MayTheFuzzBeWithYou

HOLY REVERB! I gotta say this is one of my favorite builds so far. Too cool.

Last edited: Aug 09, 2020 22:59:57

I'm still tweaking my Surfybear/Surfy Trem project - it's only been going off and on for about two years, and one of these days I'll declare it finished enough to post pics. But in the meantime, I have two questions:

1 - Which direction do you turn the trim pot to reduce gain? I'm guessing counter-clockwise, but am not entirely sure. I know the trim pot has been discussed before, but it's a long slog to sort through everything in this thread when I just need a quick answer. And I know Bjorn says you usually shouldn't have to mess with it, but mine does seem to have too much gain (making the reverb overbearing and harsh) and I'd like to reduce it.

2 - Does it matter if the metal of the RCA jacks are in contact with the enclosure (thus being grounded to the chasis) or should they be shielded from it? I don't recall this being mentioned before.

Well thank you @SandBug! That old Batman series was probably the most 60s series I have ever watched - it was fun to do and still is "the center" of my pedalboard! Smile

TENTACULA: Garage-Psych-Heavy-Surf-Rock
Tentacula @ Bandcamp Tentacula @ Instagram Tentacula @ Facebook my gear collection @ instagram

edwardsand wrote:

I'm still tweaking my Surfybear/Surfy Trem project - it's only been going off and on for about two years, and one of these days I'll declare it finished enough to post pics. But in the meantime, I have two questions:

1 - Which direction do you turn the trim pot to reduce gain? I'm guessing counter-clockwise, but am not entirely sure. I know the trim pot has been discussed before, but it's a long slog to sort through everything in this thread when I just need a quick answer. And I know Bjorn says you usually shouldn't have to mess with it, but mine does seem to have too much gain (making the reverb overbearing and harsh) and I'd like to reduce it.

2 - Does it matter if the metal of the RCA jacks are in contact with the enclosure (thus being grounded to the chasis) or should they be shielded from it? I don't recall this being mentioned before.

1) No idea. Mark it, then turn it either way and see if gain increases or decreases.

2) In theory they shouldn't make contact with the chassis. Those rca female jacks come with special plastic washers that have a raised 'rim' or 'shoulder' so you can mount them without making contact with the enclosure.
This is the best picture I could find showing that:

image[/image]

I didn't pay attention when I first built it. I changed it afterwards but never noticed any difference.

Posted this in the classified section, but just in case...if anybody has a reverb and trem kit they want to sell, please send me a PM!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2125 126 127 128 129135 136 Next