Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink Second Composition - Feedback welcomed

Page 1 of 1

Okay, I dumped the intro/outro of the previous version. I think a big part of it is that it was a weird approach and came out too irritating. I double-checked tuning, so if this is out please let me know and i'll smash my tuner. Obviously, I'm not a good player, but I'm practicing a lot, having fun and just getting started with writing tunes. Here's the latest version (again, very rough):

Dracula Don't Wear Tubesocks

Mainly looking for composition arrangement input. Telling me I stink is like calling water wet... hahaha.

MIJ Floral Jazzmaster, Parts Stratocaster, Quilter Tone Block 200, Fender Hot Rod Tweed Cab

BandCamp - Miscellaneous Debris
YouTube Channel

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020 17:52:05

My only question is...did you tune all your guitar strings before recording it?

My ears tell me it's off.

_

Hi, I'm Gellert, guitarist for The Fintastics.

https://www.facebook.com/TheFintastics

TheFintastics wrote:

My only question is...did you tune all your guitar strings before recording it?

My ears tell me it's off.

I tuned beforehand, but that's not to say the tuning isn't off. Plus, I'm a pretty heavy handed player, and so it's also possible I'm pulling some out of tune, especially on the double stop stretch. This really is just a rough demo, so I'm mostly concerned with composition, general musicality and so forth.

MIJ Floral Jazzmaster, Parts Stratocaster, Quilter Tone Block 200, Fender Hot Rod Tweed Cab

YouTube Channel

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020 15:37:15

Sorry, couldn’t get past the out of tune intro.

Don't give up, just re-tune and post again. Looking forward to hearing the revision. Thumbs Up

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

Thanks, I'll rework and post again... I guess I thought with the harpsichord double octave approach it would come out that way. Sorry for the cringe-inducing recording.

YouTube Channel

Posted an update at the top.

YouTube Channel

You’re the guy that made that song that was stuck in my head for days! I think it’s called “And Then There Was One.” Anyway, I’ll check out the revision as soon as I get a chance.

SixStringSurfer wrote:

You’re the guy that made that song that was stuck in my head for days! I think it’s called “And Then There Was One.” Anyway, I’ll check out the revision as soon as I get a chance.

Thanks, I appreciate it! I posted this because I did get really useful input on that song and was hoping for more of the same.

YouTube Channel

I like the guitar lines. I need to listen to it via headphones to get a better impression, but first impression is that the bass lines in the main verses need to be different to fill out the sound more - like double the number of notes. Either that or add some rhythm guitar.

edwardsand wrote:

I like the guitar lines. I need to listen to it via headphones to get a better impression, but first impression is that the bass lines in the main verses need to be different to fill out the sound more - like double the number of notes. Either that or add some rhythm guitar.

Thanks very much for the feedback! Were you thinking more melody with the bass, as opposed to the simple rumbling line? My concern with the bass was that the guitar line is pretty busy, so I was trying to keep it simple. But I will try some variations.

YouTube Channel

I'd say keep the bass line simple, or at least not duplicate the guitar, and emphasize the drum beats rather than following the lead guitar.

I like it! It has a nice, clean, modern sound to it. I would personally keep the bass line simple if I were you.

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it!

YouTube Channel

Page 1 of 1