Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Build: Fender 6G14-A Showman!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5

That ebay speaker doesn't have an original dustcap (should be aluminum), which probably means it isn't an original cone, either. Although the texture of the cone does look correct, at least.

I'm not knowledgeable enough on the varieties of JBLs to say whether it'll sound like a proper K130. I don't know how much of the sound is the driver vs. the cone type. Hopefully someone else on here can advise. Maybe a separate thread would help.

Sell some blood and grab one of these guys!

Original K130s

K130s are just fine. Avoid E130s.
You can make an offer on the K130s above with the original cones.
Good luck,
Ran

The Scimitars

That is FANTASTIC you built that amp! Congrats! Great job! As far as speaker Recommendations Im a fan of the Weber Chicago. It came in my tone ring cab when I bought it and I really like it. Here is an old video of the Chicago vs JBL D130
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A69s25X5y2o
You probably got tubes already but next power tube change get some TAD 6L6's They are far and away my favorite. Short bottle are RCA blackplate copys and Talls have more headroom.
Do you have a head cabinet yet? Tolex isn't that hard to do. If you can build an amp you can tolex a cab. Keep up the good work! Next a reverb unit to go with the amp!

Give me reverb or give me death!
facebook.com/onenightstandards
https://www.youtube.com/scotstandard
scotstandard@yahoo.com

scotstandard wrote:

That is FANTASTIC you built that amp! Congrats! Great job! As far as speaker Recommendations Im a fan of the Weber Chicago. It came in my tone ring cab when I bought it and I really like it. Here is an old video of the Chicago vs JBL D130
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A69s25X5y2o
You probably got tubes already but next power tube change get some TAD 6L6's They are far and away my favorite. Short bottle are RCA blackplate copys and Talls have more headroom.
Do you have a head cabinet yet? Tolex isn't that hard to do. If you can build an amp you can tolex a cab. Keep up the good work! Next a reverb unit to go with the amp!

I chose to go with all Tung-Sol reissue tubes because that's what was in the old amp! I haven't built a head cab and a speaker cab yet because it was planned with my grandfather as he's a guitar player too, but with this whole coronavirus ordeal, I don't know when we can build it. I have a 6G15 Blonde tank too!

Liam S

So I'm looking for a K130 and I found one on CL and he will ship it to me for about $115. Any ideas on the condition?

Liam S

It looks good but that doesn't really mean much, considering the tiny and crucial clearances involved. Has he confirmed whether it's an original cone or not? That's certainly a good price for one with an original cone but if it's a recone, it might not be worth the risk.

The main issue with recones is that some substandard kits (Waldrom, for example) don't use the flattened, edgewound coil wire that JBLS are so famous for and instead use regular round wire. This reduces the efficiency of the speaker and effectively makes it no longer a real JBL. Not a terrible speaker but not the heroic thing that built the legend.

It'd be nice to have some higher res shots of that cone to see what kind of texture it has.

Redfeather wrote:

It looks good but that doesn't really mean much, considering the tiny and crucial clearances involved. Has he confirmed whether it's an original cone or not? That's certainly a good price for one with an original cone but if it's a recone, it might not be worth the risk.

The main issue with recones is that some substandard kits (Waldrom, for example) don't use the flattened, edgewound coil wire that JBLS are so famous for and instead use regular round wire. This reduces the efficiency of the speaker and effectively makes it no longer a real JBL. Not a terrible speaker but not the heroic thing that built the legend.

It'd be nice to have some higher res shots of that cone to see what kind of texture it has.

I’m not sure but it looks original. He said he pulled it from a PA and there is no coil rub at low or high volumes?

Liam S

I say go for it! 115 to your door is a rockin' deal if it's original and even if it's not, it'll still most likely be a great sounding speaker.

Don't mind my shitty playing here but here's a demo with a Realistic Jensen 12' 100-watt speaker from 1968, it was bought for a PA system and never used. It sounds 10 times better, I'll just be saving my money for a D130F.

Liam S

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5