Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Anyone ever use a 2x15 cab for Guitar?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

SamDBL wrote:

More specifically, one of those old, giant bassman cabs? I tend to use a twin or pro combo, live. But I tend to do most of my recording through a bandmaster reverb head and iso cab. I got the bassman cab (1967) to match a bassman head, thinking I might use it for bass. But I never do. Now I’m starting to wonder how much the bandmaster head on the bassman cab would open up my sound. I know surf people have used 15” speakers. But this cab seems a little strange. Oversized, old fender eminence speakers. They don’t have the best reputation.

???
In surf music it´s quite common to use 2x15 cabs. Nothing special.
Showman with 2x15 cab is used by dozens of surf bands.
Check this forum, don´t be lazy. Here are all answers archived. You will love it.

...IF there is someone asking after shows, there is probably ONE guy asking for the gear...

Twang cheers!

Ralf Kilauea

www.kilaueas.de

https://kilaueas.bandcamp.com/album/touch-my-alien

Like Ralf said, a 2x15" or 1x15" tone ring cab is VERY common in surf music. Dozens of bands used and still use 2x15" cabs with great success. I think there are less people playing 12" or 10" than 15" when you take a close look at serious surf musicians.
I've personally heard and played the big 2x15" bassman cabs. They do hold up with the smaller Showman cabs and can sound really nice. Especially if equipped with JBL D130Fs or D140 speakers. But, also like Ralf said, this is information that can be found on this forum if you use the search function and has been discussed ad nauseam.
I always try to avoid the gear-nerd talk after shows. It's always that ONE creepy guy who wants to talk about gear...

The Hicadoolas

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020 13:01:11

Off Topic

Guys, it's ok to suggest people use the archives, but I see nothing wrong with starting new conversations. This is a forum, not an encyclopedia. How do people get to know each other here if they don't start new topics, even on old questions covered before? We all know there's a finite amount of information related to surf music. Try to find ways to steer the conversation towards new angles about the topic, or post really good examples that'd be fun for us to watch or listen to.

SanchoPansen wrote:

But, also like Ralf said, this is information that can be found on this forum if you use the search function and has been discussed ad nauseam.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020 13:50:48

DannySnyder wrote:

Off Topic

Guys, it's ok to suggest people use the archives, but I see nothing wrong with starting new conversations. This is a forum, not an encyclopedia. How do people get to know each other here if they don't start new topics, even on old questions covered before? We all know there's a finite amount of information related to surf music. Try to find ways to steer the conversation towards new angles about the topic, or post really good examples that'd be fun for us to watch or listen to.

I'd say this needs a reference Laughing

Surfin’ Europe - Surf gigs in Europe
The Malbehavers – Instrumental Surf Music from Tilburg (NL)

And this is the reason I avoided this forum for a very long time and will again....

The Hicadoolas

SanchoPansen wrote:

And this is the reason I avoided this forum for a very long time and will again....

Do not avoid this forum please! Check the pic of the day!
Ironically There you can see a 2x15 Can. Or even three?

Twang cheers!

Ralf Kilauea

www.kilaueas.de

Cab! Not can, sorry.

Yes we cab! Yes we cab!

Twang cheers!

Ralf Kilauea

www.kilaueas.de

DannySnyder wrote:

This is a forum, not an encyclopedia.

I disagree completely. This is a forum AND an encyclopedia--an interactive encyclopedia, if you will. In fact, it's the closest thing the planet has to a comprehensive Surf instrumental encyclopedia, and this is one of the most important and valuable aspects of the whole site!

Using the search function and delving into the archives is how people learn. Just like back in the good old days of actual school and critical thinking, one has to put in the time and study to become knowledgable about a given subject.

Now, in the mobile phone era, everyone has ADD and can't focus on anything for more than a few minutes of Youtube video--complete dumbing down. How about encouraging some focus, deeper learning, respecting those that have come before and have actual first-hand knowledge? Because that's exactly what reading the old threads is all about. It's not just about us getting to know one another and being "fun."

The point is to take those original threads as a place to start, something to build on. There's no reason someone can't introduce themselves or post for the first time building on an older thread?

Also, the fewer new threads there are on the same old topic actually HELPS focus the research.

Also, for new members or those seeking advice for the first time...please always keep in mind who it is you are receiving information from. At this particular time in SG101 site history, it is IMPERATIVE that you have perspective on who is answering your query. Of course, one of the points of a forum like this is for interaction of different members from all over the world with varying degrees of experience. Opinions are well, you know. So just keep in mind precisely who it that is responding and take it for what it is, keeping their "street cred" in mind. Have they ever played in a band before? For how long? Many bands? Touring experience? Recording and releasing experience? How extensive is their recording library? How much actual Surf music do you think they've actually listened to? Owned Surf gear? Owned a lot of Surf gear?

One can usually get a pretty straight-forward idea of who they're dealing with from a quick glance at the links in their signature, how long they've been a member, etc.

Sorry to have to say this--and I'm just relaying what MANY have been feeling about this forum lately--there is a substantial amount of completely bad, incorrect, ignorant and downright ridiculous information being shared daily. It has been turning off and chasing away old-school members and dangerously perpetuating false information.

Now, more than ever during quarantine, folks are turning to the internet for interaction and learning. It is an important responsibility (at least I believe it is) for this site to uphold and present a certain level of professional expertise, insight, and dispersion of knowledge. Presenting an opinion is fine of course, but perhaps try not to do so as if it is fact and you have been playing Surf live for many years? And perhaps a bit of humility could go a long way? The greatest musicians in the world would be the first to tell you that they know nothing and are just getting started.

(sorry for the rant)

Insect Surfers
The Tikiyaki Orchestra
The Scimitars
Lords Of Atlantis
Fiberglass Jungle - Surf Radio

JONPAUL wrote:

Now, in the mobile phone era, everyone has ADD and can't focus on anything for more than a few minutes of Youtube video--complete dumbing down. How about encouraging some focus, deeper learning, respecting those that have come before and have actual first-hand knowledge? Because that's exactly what reading the old threads is all about. It's not just about us getting to know one another and being "fun."

Can't it be different things to different people?

I Like surf music and I play in a surf band. But before I joined that band I knew fairly little about surf.

If you want people who are just getting acquainted with surf music to get interested beyond just Misirlou and have them become part of the scene, then I think it's important to have an open/inviting attitude. Expecting that newbies start by putting a lot of effort in doing research is maybe not that.

Doing research suggests that one already knows what they're looking for. I've learned a bunch of new things in my short time here simply because other people asked questions that they had on their mind. Not me. But because those questions popped up and I read the responses I learned new stuff about those matters anyway. Many of those questions were probably already answered in older threads too. And if the questioner had looked them up, I and other noobs would perhaps never have learned a thing about those subjects.

Also, some people really do have ADD and they might turn out to be great additions to the scene (I'm not hinting at anyone btw, just a general comment).

I'm aware that my take on it is very much coloured by the little knowledge I have of the history of this site/forum and the effort it took people like you and others to get it where it is today. The 101 in the name seems to suggest it started with noobs in mind though.

Anyway, I'm also aware now that I need to put more links in my signature Big Grin and that I must listen to your program tomorrow. Looking forward to it!

Surfin’ Europe - Surf gigs in Europe
The Malbehavers – Instrumental Surf Music from Tilburg (NL)

Haha. What a dick. A) I’m asking specifically about a specific model and year. I think I made that clear in the first post. Yes, I know 2x15 cabs are used quite a bit. But I have never seen much about this model, or the speakers.
B) It’s not like this forum is super duper active and overflowing with repeat posts or spam. I would think any activity is welcome.

edit: I just did a forum search and almost every one that came up was about the bassman cab with jbl’s, which this one is not (eminence). So....

HallmarkSweptWinger wrote:

SamDBL wrote:

More specifically, one of those old, giant bassman cabs? I tend to use a twin or pro combo, live. But I tend to do most of my recording through a bandmaster reverb head and iso cab. I got the bassman cab (1967) to match a bassman head, thinking I might use it for bass. But I never do. Now I’m starting to wonder how much the bandmaster head on the bassman cab would open up my sound. I know surf people have used 15” speakers. But this cab seems a little strange. Oversized, old fender eminence speakers. They don’t have the best reputation.

???
In surf music it´s quite common to use 2x15 cabs. Nothing special.
Showman with 2x15 cab is used by dozens of surf bands.
Check this forum, don´t be lazy. Here are all answers archived. You will love it.

...IF there is someone asking after shows, there is probably ONE guy asking for the gear...

Guitarist for Black Valley Moon & Down By Law

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020 22:51:34

SanchoPansen wrote:

I always try to avoid the gear-nerd talk after shows. It's always that ONE creepy guy who wants to talk about gear...

Man, that is just horrible! I’m sorry you’ve had to go through that.

Guitarist for Black Valley Moon & Down By Law

JONPAUL wrote:

(sorry for the rant)

Apology accepted. If you really want things to "stay pure" you should just make this a private forum, rather than provide negative experiences to innocents. I mean, we don't even have a "New To This Forum?" page, just a bunch of random stickies. Point = it's not easy to find those golden threads you mention!

I have a pair of Eminence 15" bass speakers that sound remarkably good for surf, but I ended up swapping them for JBLs. I've debated mixing them up, or putting them back in one cab and leaving the other cab JBLs. I do like how the reverb sounds through JBLs, but the tone might be just a good through the Eminence speakers. These Eminence speakers are not super vintage, but they don't make em anymore. I forgot the model.

Daniel Deathtide

Please everyone, there is no need for these threads to descend into name calling or bickering. It's very easy to misconstrue someone's written comments from how they meant for it to sound.
Every person I've been privileged to meet from this forum has been friendly and accepting of a no talent basement hack like myself.
Please feel free to revive old threads that may not have the exact information you're looking for, someone will probably still answer your question and others may learn something from the thread you brought back.

Sorry to have to say this--and I'm just relaying what MANY have been feeling about this forum lately--there is a substantial amount of completely bad, incorrect, ignorant and downright ridiculous information being shared daily. It has been turning off and chasing away old-school members and dangerously perpetuating false information.

We got rid of Surfin' Sam...

If there is completely bad, incorrect, ignorant, ridiculous information being shared here, please step up and offer helpful corrections. Otherwise no one cares and maybe the site should be shut down.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

I think Danny has the right attitude and I appreciated his response. I've said it before, but he's a mensch. My first post here all those years ago (yikes!) was about a reverb pan I bought on eBay and if it was compatible. Yes--I asked a reverb question. He couldn't have been more helpful. Wannes too. I remember that to this day. I don't know what I would have done if someone had used my post to point out everything that is wrong with SG101.

I think SamDBL's question is valid and doesn't harm the site's usefulness. I'm not going to start taking sides here either. Jonpaul is a huglely valuable member. I don't think he took what he did there lightly. I hope it was more of a case of the final straw, not so much because of one post or person but because of a trend that he feels is hurting the site so he ranted a little. I just wish it would have been as a stand alone post so that one person isn't singled out.

In this site's history (I came on the second year I guess) I can't remember Brian having to get heavy handed with anyone, or if he did, it must be rare. We seem to do good at self policing as in the recent case by collectively letting that person know that he was playing a little too fast and loose with the facts and overactive posting. Even then Brian, you were very patient. No one really wants to tell someone else they are not wanted.

There is a lot more to say here. In 15 years things are bound to evolve. I certainly see that things aren't quite the same. I don't know if it would do more harm than good to do an assessment. I wasn't aware that misinformation was rampant to the degree it has been stated. As the knowledge base continues to grow, corrections and invitations to do a search are routine on forums and intended to help, not be a source of contention and bad feelings.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2