Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
321 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
249 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
249 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
169 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
147 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
115 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
109 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
70 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
3 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
3 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Just pulled the trigger on a Squier Jag!

Page 1 of 1

I’ve been craving an offset guitar again, and noticed a pretty decent deal on a Squier Classic Vibe 70s Jaguar on amazon.ca. Big plus - it’s a lovely looking black finish with block inlays, and a Mustang style bridge.

In addition, Amazon here in Canada started offering to split payments with no interest.

I know I’ll likely have to do a lot of setup work to make it really sing, but I’m used to it, and actually quite like it.

Pics when it arrives!

Really looking forward to your impressions. I'm a big fan of the black w/ tort guard. I've briefly played a couple in shops. The one I played at a local Guitar Center was in dire need of a set-up so I couldn't really get a true feel for it, however I played one at an independent shop that had been slightly tweaked that played very well....just really needed a set of 11's (why they ship these guitars w/ 9-42's I just can't understand).

Surfadelphia wrote:

Really looking forward to your impressions. I'm a big fan of the black w/ tort guard. I've briefly played a couple in shops. The one I played at a local Guitar Center was in dire need of a set-up so I couldn't really get a true feel for it, however I played one at an independent shop that had been slightly tweaked that played very well....just really needed a set of 11's (why they ship these guitars w/ 9-42's I just can't understand).

Last time I had a Jag, I think I set it up with 12 gauge chromes, and the tuning stability was excellent. I also tend to shim the neck to get the bridge up a bit.

Definitely needs heavier strings with the 24" scale length and break angle of the strings over the bridge saddles. With the stock 9's, the mustang style bridge saddles actually moved sideways when I bent strings. I am guessing that with the Mustang style saddles with their much deeper string slots that you might not need to shim the neck with 11's or 12's.

All set up, and ready to play! I shimmed the neck, strung it with 12 gauge chromes. The Mustang style saddles are definitely easy to deal with compared to threaded saddles.

Looks fantastic!. Congratulations.

-Tim
MyYouTubeChannel
My Classic Instrumental Surf Music Timeline
SSS Agent #777

Love that black w/ the tort guard. One of the best looking Jags IMO at any price. What did you use to shim the neck? Looking forward to hearing a review.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020 07:29:16

Beautiful! Black and Tortoise is a great look!

Surfadelphia wrote:

Love that black w/ the tort guard. One of the best looking Jags IMO at any price. What did you use to shim the neck? Looking forward to hearing a review.

I usually use cut up iTunes gift cards for shims.

I finally got to do some playing and check out the sounds on tap. Still figuring the rhythm circuit, but the basic tones are exactly what I’m looking for.

Page 1 of 1