Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
169 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink The roots of Miserlou

Page 1 of 1

The roots of Miserlou. To whom may be interested. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouy7W3UcU7g

All our knowledge has its origins in our perceptions - Leonardo da Vinci

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013 12:31:07

Hello from Greece! Nice video and nice info in its description Smile

https://zakandthekrakens.bandcamp.com/
https://www.dirtyfuse.com

Hi there neighbour! ;) Actually "Mısırlı" means "Egyptian" in Turkish language.

More is coming:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misirlou

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013 12:39:01

2002 Version... Turkish band called "Ahırkapı Roman Orchestra" specialized on Balkan tunes, oriental and jazz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krsBHwIGKok

Interesting new claims regarding the history pre Patrinas, and some simplification of the American Greek evolution after that. No mention of the Yiddish developments. No mention of the Bollywood rip off, actually based on Dick Dale's version. Very popular with folk dancers. Not quite sure of the evolution there.

No expicit references to the claims (also completely undocumented) that the source might be a song called Bint Misr by Egyptian composer Sayed Darwish.

I'd love to see more on the claims relative to "This song was composed by an Egyptian Musician ,Mısırlı İbrahim Efendi who was originally a Jew named Abraham Levi living in İzmir.Against uncertain opinions,this song firstly was composed in Turkish with very very high probability or in Arabic.And the song was loved a lot in that time's İzmir and translated to Greek language."

Without some documentation this will get frustratingly lost in the nationalist fervors of the region. For example, are there recordings or publications that can be cited? Without things like that this is simply another broadside of assertions in the ongoing Misirlou wars. I hope it isn't!

This is fascinating, but the last word on Misirlou seems like it will be a long time coming sometimes!

I haven't included references to the other threads on this in this forum. Most of the points raised above are discussed there.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013 13:02:55

I enjoy the music and love every version of it. Claims are another story. My point here is the tune is coming from Mediterranean of the Ottoman era, and it has been recorded by many cultures in many ways and still popular.

Nacho, is the YouTube post yours? I beg your pardon that I don't know you well enough to know that already.

The song is definitely from the Mediterranean of the late (attested firmly to just post) Ottoman era. The title and Arabic inclusions alone suggest that the Greek version is an adaptation from an Arabic version, though they don't in themselves prove that. Nor would that say anything about versions in other languages as parallel or intermediate developments. Of course, the Greek word for Egyptian is a loan from Turkish (the -lu/li ending guarantees this) and the Turkish word is based on an Arabic original (Misr), while the word rebetiko applied the Smyrniot bands is a Greek formation based on Arabic rabaat 'inn' too as far as that goes. Not that these etymologies are any help in dating or attributing this paricular song. They do go to show the homogeneity and interconnectedness of the several cultural milieus, which is a complicated story thousands of years old. The Greek versions (Patrinos and Dimitriadis) trace to the city of Smyrna (Greek)/Izmir (Turkish) which I seem to recall was briefly in dispute between the Turks and Greeks in the period in question (just post WW I) though it is now firmly Turkish and was part of the Ottoman Empire as opposed to the newly independent Greek state before WW I. There was a good deal of the familiar ethnic cleansing going on in this period, as the multiethnic Ottoman Empire was sorted out into the more homogenous modern national states.

It would be fascinating to have examples of versions predating the two early Greek versions or even just good attested references to versions in other languages of the same approximate age. I suspect very early (c. 1910-40) examples once existed and could possibly still be found for Arabic, Turkish, Armenian, Albanian, and possibly others based on mutterings I've seen. Actual, concrete references to such these versions would be nice to have, not to mention things like dates and particulars of the lyrics and recording artists or possibly even actual recordings. My guess is that when people start looking at this seriously and cooperatively all kinds of things will turn up since commercial recording technology was available in the area from I think the 1890s at least. And there must be resources like newspapers, letters, sheet music, etc., that have not been seriously investigated by musicologists. But right now what we have is suspicions of such things existing, unsupported attestations that they once existed "a long time ago" and so on. All very nice, but too hypothetical or vague to be much use.

There seems to be a serious literature on Ottoman musicology and musical history, but I have only seem hints of it in the US, and a lot of what I have found on the Internet is more along the lines of nationalist shouting from all quarters with no details or references, just vague unsupported assertions phrased in intemperate language that makes you want to doubt it even when it seems logical. I don't even know if this literature would address popular music as opposed to the music of the Ottoman court, etc. I haven't even seen references to it. I don't even know what language it's in. I've just seen circumstantial essays appended to World Music recordings, sometimes with sources for the recordings.

Things like the notes appended to this YouTube posting are both fascinating and completely frustrating. They seem helpful because they give some specifics, but there are no dates, no references to the sources of the information, no discussion of the basis on which the assertions are made, etc. If it were just reported where the information came from it could be pursued and verified.

Along these lines I have found the claims for Sayed Darwish (Roman spellings vary) particularly frustrating and suspicious because he is in some ways fairly well known. But there are no catalogs I have been able to find of his compositions, and the alleged source song is not mentioned in any context that I have seen except Misirlou discussions. Because of that and because he has such a huge significance for Egyptian writers, such claims have to be taken with a grain of salt. Still, I keep hoping that something more specific in support of the claim will turn up.

It's not just Misirlou either. There seem to be some (?) very interesting Anatolian parallels to the old Spanish folk melody Zorongo that underlies Exotic, too. I forget the Turkish title at the moment, but I think it means "Grains of Barley and Wheat."

The trouble is that on the one hand few people take musicology seriously, or understand how to do historical research properly, while on the other historical documentation for the Balkans, Anatolia, and points south are difficult to come by in this country or online in anything but the most "interested" (as opposed to "interesting") forms.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013 17:57:50

Hey Tuck. Thank you for solid input and serious interest to the topic.

First, No, the video does not belong to me at all. Second, Yes, I should have researched more than the description below it. Your heads up is most appreciated.

The nationalist approaches and claims with no references you have mentioned are really not realistic at all. It comes in every direction for almost about every subject. For the record, I'm totally against this manner, period.

Most tunes in the area has became anonym due to lack of keeping proper public records, music technology etc. There are tons of Greek and Turkish songs which shares exactly the same musical structure and tunes, but words. Both think those belong to them. Because there's no proof or documents of any kind.

It goes for our cuisines as well. RaistMagus might know very well; common dishes with common names. Smile

Once again, thanks for sharing your knowledge and prevent my misdirection.

Cheers,
Serhan

Greece and Turkey are sort of like Janus - two faces on one body. Many details are different, but so much is the same. Not just those two nations, of course, either! Of course when people(s) are so close and they're trying to divide the inheritance, the potential for quarrels is huge!

I am definitely interested in hearing more about the claims made in the description of the video you've pointed us at! Maybe some one can track something down using the names offered, at least if the reference is (a) real (and it does sound promising) and (b) it's on the Internet and not, say, in a local newspaper in Izmir or in a book only available in Turkey, etc. You are definitely in a much better position to track these last down if they apply, of course, and that's what's so great about the International character of this Forum in particular and Internet interest in instrumental pop generally!

I looked fairly recently for more on Darwish, but it's worth looking again for that, too. You never know when something might turn up. Unfortunately there I kind of suspect that somebody (a) misremembered the title of the song, and (b) did a little well intentioned, but creative guessing based on what they would have liked to believe. Plausibility is not the same thing as accuracy. I have a tendency to love my hypotheses a little too much myself ...

OK. I'll dig around. If something interesting will come up, I'll share it here.

Nice stuff guys! Cool tunes and fun musings.

I agree that the lack of definitive information on Misirlou can be frustrating, but I actually kinda like the mystique that surrounds the song. The lack of origin story lends it extra mystery and gravity, and there's something to be said about a melody so strong that multiple nations want to claim it as their own.

Of course I'm biased, but even amongst all the countless versions out there I feel like Dick Dale's is truly something unique and special. He just really put the energy and power of that song over the top in a way nobody had (to my ear) before or since. Before 'Surfer's Choice' Misirlou by no means belonged to DD, but since its release his cut is (at least in the western world) immediately the most recognizable and definitive. Countless surf bands (and even plenty of non surf bands) have tried to emulate that recording, and nobody's even come close! It's pretty remarkable to have taken such a renowned and beloved song and given it such a personal and distinct mark. Worship

I agree Ben. I remember reading on here that some studio guys punched up DD's Misirlou by adding the piano, shouts, and 2nd guitar. I wonder what the original that DD turned in sounded like?

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Followers of this thread might be interested in this NPR broadcast: http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=1&islist=false&id=5134530&m=5134586

My Web Site - Tunes - Pictures - Guitar Projects - Hard Rock Cafe Guitar Pins

Brian wrote:

I agree Ben. I remember reading on here that some studio guys punched up DD's Misirlou by adding the piano, shouts, and 2nd guitar. I wonder what the original that DD turned in sounded like?

According to that guy - Jan Davis of "The Fugitive" fame, incidentally - it sounded 'dead'. I copied that segment from a Pipeline interview with David - you can find it here - and here's the paragraph:

Jan Davis and his keyboard-playing partner Bob Roberts. From the interview with Davis from Pipeline 60 (Summer 2003):

"Jan's other brush with fame came with Dick Dale's Miserlou. 'What happened was that Dick's dad James Monsour came into Rendezvous with this track his son had recorded' reported Jan. 'At the time Rendezvous was handling distribution for Dick's Del-Tone label and so we listened to the track and it was interesting but dead sounding. Rod Pierce said for me and Bob to take the track into the studio and liven it up with some overdubs. So we added all the shouts and handclaps, some extra rhythm guitar and Bob on piano. I think we ran it back and forth through our old Ampex mono recorders about six times adding this or that. When we finished it really cooked. To this day Dick has never acknowledged or thanked me for the work we put in on Miserlou. Now, of course, thanks to Pulp Fiction, that track is all over America on adverts for Domino's Pizza, Mazda cars - just all over the place.'"

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Here is a 1927 version of Misirlou.

Later,
Norm

That's the oldest one known, I think. Probably not the original and that's where that mystery comes in. I suspect taking things back a version or two to earlier sources, if it is ever possible, will just establish that the melody was known that much earlier. It may be something very ancient, though of course there's no way to know. The melody of Exotic is sort of a similar case.

Dick Dale really did make Misirlou special, by creating the buzz saw pacing of the surf instrumental, but there were some other critical steps along the way. For example, I think it is supposed to be Roubanis who "orientalized" the somewhat whimpy melody of early versions. Or maybe he simply had access to a different tradition for rendering it. You'd like to think it always sounded like it does, whatever the pacing.

The Bollywood version is specifically based on Dick Dale's rendition.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013 14:45:58

Stumbled onto this version on YouTube.

COOL! Super cool. Wow. My mom once told me it was a Russian folk song.

Daniel Deathtide

Last edited: Mar 05, 2020 07:49:00

Updated link to the NPR page, including rare and wonderful audio tracks.

Page 1 of 1