Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink You think surf guitar is drippy? Check this out...

Page 1 of 1

Vince Bell - king of the easy listening electric sitar cover song.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

What pedal is he using? Laughing

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Know we're talking!

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

it goes well with that piece

I tried to get that sound on The Enchanted Sea.

The Exotic Guitar of Kahuna Kawentzmann

You can get the boy out of the Keynes era, but you can’t get the Keynes era out of the boy.

Kawentzmann wrote:

This is such a great track KK. Love it.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Me too! Pay attention songwriters, this is a master class in what you can do with mood and texture to enhance a simple melody.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Wasn't that sound used on the Barbarella soundtrack, too?

DannySnyder wrote:

Vince Bell - king of the easy listening electric sitar cover song.

I've always loved this album. Deke Dickerson tried to get Vincent Bell to attend one of the latter Guitar Geek Festivals. Deke described Vincent as a very grouchy old man, "Why would I want to play in front of those people?!" I don't expect we'll ever pry the secret from him of the fantastic reverb drip effect he used on the Airport Love Theme album. It was his invention, not a commercially available pedal effect. He also used it on a hit version of Midnight Cowboy Theme. -Marty

"Hello Girls!"

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016 18:51:33

It's highly likely that the reverb unit Vincent used had the Hammond "necklaces" springs rather than a reverb pan.

I had a Hammond tone cabinet years back that had the reverb springs (3) hanging down loose inside the cabinet. The arrangement looked very much like a necklace. Each of the three springs was a different length which resulted in three separate loops. I didn't pay any attention to how it was coupled to the electronics but the cabinet did provide the B+ voltage that the Hammond D console organ needed to operate. This was not a Leslie type cabinet but used fixed speakers one of which fired straight up.

It wasn't the B-40 cabinet as I had one of those and it didn't have reverb. I'll do some research.

ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

Here ya go:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwis9_DRuKPKAhVFKyYKHW-BCz8QjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fhammondorgan.wikeo.net%2Fla-reverb-a-ressorts.html&psig=AFQjCNHkZaD8W_H0zk5L-usS6_5CAlZDNA&ust=1452659543180686

Want some REAL drip?

ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

I spent my youth avoiding Ferrante & Tiecher albums that Columbia House music club was always trying to fob off on us rubes for a dollar. Now that I am an old fart, I can appreciate the gelatinous sheen of their records. Vinnie Bell is indeed on of the greats of mid-century commercial guitar.

Squink Out!

eddiekatcher wrote:

It's highly likely that the reverb unit Vincent used had the Hammond "necklaces" springs rather than a reverb pan.

I had a Hammond tone cabinet years back that had the reverb springs (3) hanging down loose inside the cabinet. The arrangement looked very much like a necklace. Each of the three springs was a different length which resulted in three separate loops. I didn't pay any attention to how it was coupled to the electronics but the cabinet did provide the B+ voltage that the Hammond D console organ needed to operate. This was not a Leslie type cabinet but used fixed speakers one of which fired straight up.

It wasn't the B-40 cabinet as I had one of those and it didn't have reverb. I'll do some research.

ed

Thanks for the interesting info on the necklace reverb, Eddie. What leads you to believe that this is likely to be the type Vincent Bell used? -Marty

"Hello Girls!"

My Model Model D console had no way to activate the reverb in that cabinet, but I could flick the springs with my fingernail and acoustically it would produce one hell of a sproingy splash that would sound really drippy as the springs danced around.

I would bet that in the 50's, there was a very real possibility that a number of commercial recording studios had Hammonds with various tone cabinets. People are always fooling around looking for a new sound, and Vinnie developed the idea for an electric sitar, so why not plug into the Hammond's tone cabinet?

Realistically speaking though, those behemoth Hammond tone cabs took a real spanking from the Leslie brothers invention. I read somewhere that old man Hammond (the clock maker) despised the Leslie cabinet. Well, nobody's perfect. Leo didn't care for Strat quack. Whoda thunk?

ed

I pretty sure Vinnie used a danoelectron reverb tank ,as Nathan Daniels and vinnie were close friends.They worked on the electric sitar together and Danoelectron made some of the first amps with reverb and tremolos.Danoelectron made most of Sear and Roebuck amps and guitars before Harmony took over.

Kawentzmann wrote:

Sounds pretty close to me.
What did you use for the drip effect ?

Joel

Jeez, I'm about to go down the rabbit hole on those hammond necklace reverb spring units. I went from never even hearing about those to contemplating building one in less than 1 minute. No

Page 1 of 1