Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink (Visual) Differences between old and new reverb pans

Page 1 of 1

Here's a comparison between the input and output transducers of a TAD pan, a new Accutronics pan and an old Accutronics reverb pan.

Side note:
The input coil on the old Accutronics is not the original one.
The photo was taken while I was experimenting with different gauges of wire to wind the input coil to obtain an 8 Ohm coil (A-type) instead of the original 600 Ohm (E-type) coil.
The laminations are also a bit damaged from pulling them out with (the wrong kind of) pliers. Sad

This doesn't take away from the fact that the used materials and dimensions clearly differ:

Input:

Output:

Top view:

Another thing I noticed is that I read electrical continuity between the laminations (the metal plates/sheets that go through the coil) on the newer pans and not on the old pan.
If there's electrical continuity they could just as well have used a solid core I think.
The whole point of the laminations is to prevent eddy currents.
The laminations need to have some form of coating to prevent them conducting between one another to prevent them acting together like a solid core.

Eddy currents in a solid core vs a laminated core:

Here's a simulation someone posted over at another forum that shows the effect eddy currents have on the frequency response.

Although a simulation, I've also taken real life frequency responses of the same guitar pickup with and without eddy currents, by modifying the brass pickup cover, and those graphs very much resembled those in the simulated ones below.

In layman's terms: it causes a dip in the mid frequency range right before the resonance peak in the treble range. Overall it reduces treble content but the mid scoop can be clearly audible as well.

The lack of (high) mids in the newer pans is something I have seen mentioned by people describing why older pans sounded better.
Obviously this is only one (small) part of the overall mix of elements that make up the final tone or timbre.

No eddy currents:

Eddy currents effect:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020 06:19:54

Fascinating. Amazing research, J. We salute you!

Thank you so much for all the revelatory tank posts!!!! I am a huge fan. Maybe you can uncover the mystical Origin Of The Drip! Why some cans do and some don’t...

Daniel Deathtide

Page 1 of 1