Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Olivia Jean anyone?

Page 1 of 1

I've just discovered Olivia Jean. I LOVE her new album, "Night Owl." It's not surf, but it has a lot of surf moves in it; the opening track has a big ol' gliss near the beginning. and she talks about surf a lot, which can only help the cause! this is from a bandcamp feature on her:

"Olivia Jean has poured her soul into Night Owl. It is, she thinks, a truer expression of the kind of music she really loves—which is surf music. Which is somewhat ironic; although Third Man carries the torch for almost every genre of rock imaginable, you won’t find any Surfaris 7-inches tucked in with copies of Jack White’s collaboration with Muppet band The Electric Mayhem in Third Man’s Novelty Lounge (a.k.a. gift store). But surf is the music Olivia Jean always wanted to make. Remember that tape she gave to White, the one that launched her career? It was full of original surf instrumentals, mostly. It’s her native musical tongue. “What I love about surf is, whatever the vocal melody would be, that’s what the guitar is playing. That’s still how I write music, and that’s why I layer so many things. I just hear melodies that build and build,” she says. “With my last [record], I tried to sneak in as much surf as I could, but it didn’t end up translating in those songs.”

Though you can subtly hear the surf in Bathtub Love Killings, most tellingly in the winding melody lines, Night Owl fearlessly brings those elements to the forefront, with added pick slides, washes of reverb, and lots of twang. The record isn’t 100% surf—Olivia Jean’s musical tastes are un-snobby, like her label’s, and she has an appreciation for pop stars whose musical adventurousness is matched by their aesthetic adventurousness. “When I was recording, I had a bulletin board with Siouxsie Sioux, a big picture of the B-52s, a big picture of Missing Persons, a big picture of Adam Ant, and Frida Khalo quotes,” she says.

The result is a record that growls like a garage, glistens like new wave, and is packaged like a piece of bubblegum. But at its heart, it’s in love with just two things: melody and electric guitar. Olivia Jean’s favorite tracks on Night Owl are the surf ones. She plays all the instruments herself on three of them: lead single “Garage Bat,” “Siren Call,” and “Tsunami Sue.” There’s also a raucous cover of ‘60s Indian rock number “Jaan Pehechaan Ho,” famous for inclusion in Ghost World. “Surf is what I really love,” says Olivia simply.

here's her website

Matt Heaton & the Electric Heaters
"Dick Dale meets Dennis Lehane"
http://www.heatonsurf.com

I love it Matt thanks a lot! Never heard of her.

I was listening to La Luz and wondering which other vocal bands that are non-surf style, have a blatant surf guitar in them? Except of course La Luz does have instro numbers.

Ghost Coast, Dead Kennedys, The Cramps, who else? I was gonna start a thread about it, asking for others.

Daniel Deathtide

I just saw her last night in DC. Great (but short) show!
Definitely some surfy/garage influences in some of her music.
Super nice person too!

She's on tour right now, go see her if she's in your area.

she doesn't do this live, but there's a little video on her Facebook page of her playing the Ventures Lullaby of the Leaves
https://www.facebook.com/oliviajeanmusic/videos/vl.420014522246570/1165131406999185/?type=1

Paul
Atomic Mosquitos
Bug music for bug people is here!
Killers from Space

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020 12:10:01

Dang! Looks like I missed out, she played Raleigh earlier this week. Argh Sigh

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

My wife loves her since Black Belles.
That's cool she's a surf fan.
I wonder if she guided MOAM? to 3rd man records?

DeathTide wrote:

I was listening to La Luz and wondering which other vocal bands that are non-surf style, have a blatant surf guitar in them? Except of course La Luz does have instro numbers.

Ghost Coast, Dead Kennedys, The Cramps, who else? I was gonna start a thread about it, asking for others.

L.A. Witch

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Page 1 of 1