Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
249 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
249 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
169 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
147 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
109 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
70 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
3 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
3 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink New tune. Curious about your thoughts

Page 1 of 1

Hello, friends! I'm working on a new demo for my band Strange Waters. It's called "Vector Mode." I'm torn if it's a bit too proggy. Mind giving it a listen and letting me know your thoughts? Thanks!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=17-aqc4OLKLXZNgz_VtwM-Bxff7ZBwj_H

Last edited: Jan 03, 2020 17:10:50

Maybe too proggy for surf but there is interesting parts in there.

I think the best part is the second half after 1:20 There is a few good progressions in there to feature more or move up front even in the song and redevelop into a medley somehow. To me the beginning sounds like a bridge type feature etc Maybe that could be a pre-chorus or a transition type thing used later in the song or a short intro too,

Most listeners do not like long intros, it's like too much author narration in the beginning of a action thriller novel, You could slow that part down, fast playing though, sounds hard to play.

Best ideas come playing over and over and setting aside sometimes for later ideas. the drum pattern could be reworked to groove more, but that's hard to do and takes a while to find.

That's what I've been working on at times song writing wise, you need to map out the songs and try different arrangements and lick combinations, Some songs take two minutes and others a year.

Demos are hard because structure usually goes out the window trying to find the song medley and other features, all hard to do.

Last edited: Jan 03, 2020 17:45:39

Hey Koby, nice song. I like it. I don't think it's too anything! It's oddball from a pure surf perspective but that's fine.

The varied sections keep it interesting, especially since they're so different. Those parts where it breaks into the swing feel, for instance--nice job of mixing it up. That main thematic lick is really cool, too. I has a frenetic sort of feel, very high energy.

When I listen to the intro, I hear room for the drummer to build up tension as it works toward the "start" of the song. Kind of like how Nick Mason does in "Time", leading up to, "Ticking away..."

All in all, I'd say you have a great demo to bring to your band. Get it in everyones' hands, set them free with it, and prepare to have something really cool happen.

Koby,
Actually very reminiscent of the early 2000's Atomic Mosquitos stuff they played live. For me, not too progressive, just a slightly unexpected guitar scale, but still feels like the traditional surf arrangements are in the song.
Take to the band, shape it together, and it should sound very exciting live.

Surfcat

2023 SG101 Compilation - Tribute to Noel
The Journey Home - Agent Octopus (Our SG101 Comp download)

From Atlantis with Love - Released - July 2023
Agent Octopus-Spotify
Christmas on the Beach - NEW SINGLE Dec 2023!!
Reverb Galaxy - Angle of Attack CD - BANDCAMP

Surf, the most dangerous of all musical genres...

Thanks guys. I appreciate the insight.

Lots to like in that song. ArtS made a good call with his comparison to the Atomic Mosquitos. I don't think it needed to go to the swing section twice.

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

Cool and unique song!

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

Appreciate the kind words. We’re still at it.

Page 1 of 1