Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
326 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
254 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
254 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
173 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
152 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
120 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
114 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
75 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
8 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
8 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Videos »

Permalink Beat Buddy use for surf guitar percussion

Page 1 of 1

Just posted on Youtube, this video demonstrates several different things. It illustrates percussion a Beat Buddy can provide for surf guitar instrumentals. I performed and recorded the guitar while controlling the Beat Buddy pedal for this video. Interruption of a percussion fill by another pedal press continues percussion with a different fill. Doing this repeatedly and with varying intervals produces great variety in percussion. The song is "Waterfall" from the Insanitizers "Flying Guitars" CD album.

It also demonstrates a holder I designed and made to keep the pedal in place, minimize leg effort and movement while using it, give me a place to rest my foot, and let me avoid looking at the pedal or my foot while performing. You can see the holder alone, without my foot, at the end of the video. I have used this holder at live performances.

At the very end you can see a bit of my fabulous mirror guitar. It plays and sounds as good as it looks. For tone I use the great and gorgeous super-splashy Springs63 effect of the Zoom G1Xon pedal. Because I am playing solo (except for percussion) you can hear the guitar (and every irregularity) with great clarity. Guitar is mostly on the left channel, percussion mostly on the right, but both are in stereo.

Insanitizers! http://www.insanitizers.com

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019 19:55:50

I like the plate idea, yeah the pedal needs mounting on something like this or on a larger pedal board with other pedals etc.

I tried to use this a few weeks ago and kept double clicking the pedal by accident in the middle of the song, there by stopping it too early, But I have trouble chewing gum and rubbing my tummy the same time as well.

I have the foot switch too for the cymbals or whatever its assigned to. abut never got that far, it takes a lot of practice to get use to this pedal, I thought trying to get drum fills in the right places was hard as well if I did only click the pedal once.

Surfing_Sam_61 wrote:

I like the plate idea, yeah the pedal needs mounting on something like this or on a larger pedal board with other pedals etc.

I have the foot switch too for the cymbals or whatever its assigned to. abut never got that far, ...

Hi, Sam,
The holder I made does something important that a pedal board does not. It provides a foot rest. I can keep my foot in place when not triggering the pedal. This greatly decreases leg movement and leg exertion. It also lets me operate the Beat Buddy without looking at it or at my leg. So it really cuts down on distraction from guitar performance and eye contact with audiences.

The auxiliary foot switch is indispensable for advancing to the next song in the set list. Other uses divert my attention while performing and have not added much.

Insanitizers! http://www.insanitizers.com

Yeah Squid, in a way The Beat Buddy is a Alesis SR-16 in a foot pedal. The SR-16 can be operated with a foot switch as well much like the Beat Buddy.

I like the SR-16 for creating drum tracks, Its complicated remembering all the function buttons and editing tools etc. I found it better to work with then the Beat buddy even though it has its advantages as well performance wise like your video displays etc..

I like the drum sounds better in the SR-16 right now as far as recording, and I can expand all the drum sounds with a midi driven rack mount drum expander module (Alesis DM Pro) from the SR-16 which is a whole new deminsion of realistic studio sounding drum kits etc. ..The expander module sounds pretty righteous anf even has some awesome early 60's sounding Jazz kits surfers used back then.

Page 1 of 1