Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » North Sea Surf Radio »

Permalink North Sea Surf Radio to cease operations

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next

I really don't know what these allegations of "toxicity and snobbery" relate to. Perhaps you would care to elaborate? Mind you, I asked this question once before on these forums and received no reply. Maybe this time you will be more forthcoming.

Los Fantasticos

Very sorry to see NSSR go. I've listened to it a lot over the last year or so. I'm glad I was able to make a final donation and get another download! Many thanks to Niels for persevering.

If I'd stop buying old guitars to fix, I might actually learn to play.
Bringing instruments back to life since 2013.

"Toxicity and snobbery" don't know were all this go's as a fanatic fan of surf instrumental internet radio, all I know is I'm loosing a fantastic radio station for some unknown reason that none of the old timers or DJ's won't talk about. Station still asks for money, is that what it's all about?. Zboy……….

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019 19:37:06

zboy57 wrote:

"Toxicity and snobbery" don't know were all this go's as a fanatic fan of surf instrumental internet radio, all I know is I'm loosing a fantastic radio station for some unknown reason that none of the old timers or DJ's won't talk about. Station still asks for money, is that what it's all about?. Zboy……….

I don't think there's any great secret. I was there right from the start and recently have found it increasingly difficult to find time to do my show. Niels has been extremely busy in his life over the last few years. At around the time I informed Niels that I was no longer able to do my show he came to the decision to close NSSR completely.

Nobody is hiding anything or refusing to talk about anything. There is life outside of surf music and life has simply got in the way.

Los Fantasticos

Seems like the culprit behind the loss of NSSR is the lack of time recourses when it comes to the creative endeavor of compiling then loading. I don't know how much it costs to operate the server and domain. The great loss is the people and DJ's that compile the music who have an outstanding and tasteful insight into what is happening in surf music around the world along with the their own vast historic reference.

I don't understand the complexities of running an online music platform but I have to believe that there are still those that can compile surf musical offerings. I would think the most time consuming part of the entire platform is placing the tracks in line for play. Maybe in the future the duties can be split up among the volunteers between "listers" and "loaders" but I have no idea what goes on behind the scene.

I think we can only hope that this won't be the end of single source, "instrumental only", intellectually gathered, surf music.
This is a great loss!

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019 09:15:50

Django pretty much summed up why nssr is calling it a day. 6 years for a volunteer online station is a pretty good run imho. I never ever experienced anything but good vibes, and greatfullness from listeners, bands, and all involved with running the station. I really enjoyed my time there.

Rev

Canadian Surf

http://www.urbansurfkings.com/

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019 11:22:50

Very sad news.
Thanks for everything Niels.
I even remember with fondness the calls for funds to replace broken equipment.
Hope you can resuscitate NSSR sometime soon.

stratdancer wrote:

Sad news! Is there another alternative?

YES there is!!!!

Surf Rock Radio
website http://surfrockradio.com
stream http://205.134.253.103:9996/stream

Plays mostly brand new bands, so doesn't play many of the classics like NSSR did.
But it is 24-hour Reverb/Surf Internet radio.

edit: I believe Mike75 above runs it, is that correct Mike?
Thanks for a great radio station - it's introduced me to so many bands I would have otherwise never have heard.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019 11:40:33

So Sad!, Thanks for everything Niels!. Never any money in surf instro's, always thought since I first heard surf instro's back in 2000 on "Big Wave Dave's" Ucsb (so-Cal) college radio station it was the greatest thing!. Listening to all these tunes ever since!. Understand the DJ's point, I wouldn't have the time either to compile all the material on to a show. Guess the robots will take over... Zboy…..

This is very sad news... No

Now listening to the Classic Surf Top 101 on NSSR...

Thanks for the great Music, NSSR!

Instagram: surf_music_is_not_dead
Spotify: surf_music_is_not_dead

surf_music_is_not_dead wrote:

This is very sad news... No

Now listening to the Classic Surf Top 101 on NSSR...

Thanks for the great Music, NSSR!

Yep, as far as I understood they are doing reruns of all (?) their lists - now playing the rerun of Surf Revival 101 of 2013. What a Christmas gift! Thanks Niels

djangodeadman wrote:

Nobody is hiding anything or refusing to talk about anything. There is life outside of surf music and life has simply got in the way.

And Niels has found a beautifull wife and started a great Italian restaurant and catering service!
He is not lost for the surf community, he still is one of the best drummers I know for one of the best instrumental band of all time: Phantom Four.

So please, give him some credit to keep up NSSR for all these years!

Niels, have a great X-mass and a fun new year's party (if you'll found the time)! And you know, you are both welcome to Aloha Fest 4!

www.alohasluts.com
Aloha Sluts on BandCamp
www.arnyzona.com (my photography)
Aloha Fest on facebook

Jeff(bigtikidude)

arny wrote:

djangodeadman wrote:

And Niels has found a beautifull wife and started a great Italian restaurant and catering service!
He is not lost for the surf community, he still is one of the best drummers I know for one of the best instrumental band of all time: Phantom Four.

So please, give him some credit to keep up NSSR for all these years!

Niels, have a great X-mass and a fun new year's party (if you'll found the time)! And you know, you are both welcome to Aloha Fest 4!

Absolutely.

Los Fantasticos

Congratulations, Niels. Hope your new life does very well. Smile

Thanks for all the kind words people, highly appreciated. My true surf music friends that know about my private life have been fully understanding and that makes my decision a bit more bearable.

Niels Jansen
Program Director
North Sea Surf Radio

To submit your surf music to North Sea Surf Radio send the tracks as .mp3 in 320kbps bitrate with correct tags to playlist@northseasurfradio.com via Dropbox.

North Sea Surf Radio: Website- Facebook - Twitter
North Sea Surf Festival: Website - Facebook - Twitter
The Phantom Four: Website - Facebook - Twitter

Thread about our final week of broadcast including the full schedule can be found here; https://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/32588/?page=1#p433527

Niels Jansen
Program Director
North Sea Surf Radio

To submit your surf music to North Sea Surf Radio send the tracks as .mp3 in 320kbps bitrate with correct tags to playlist@northseasurfradio.com via Dropbox.

North Sea Surf Radio: Website- Facebook - Twitter
North Sea Surf Festival: Website - Facebook - Twitter
The Phantom Four: Website - Facebook - Twitter

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019 05:24:50

Sad news indeed. Thank you so much for your precious time and efforts. You'll be back (hopefully)!

Cheers, Daxs

Mike75 wrote:

My criticisms of NSSR are widely known, however...

I’m willing to offer the entirety of nssr a home on our servers, without charge, in perpetuity.

There are three conditions. 1) No more toxicity and surf snobbery. 2) donation campaigns are directed to me to cover my running costs. 3) Reverb Mike is in charge of music policy.

So, if you care about preserving “traditional surf” that is your lifeline.
Merry Christmas.

hi. Please explain to me what you mean by “preserving traditional surf”. This is the most stupid comment I have read in a while. Yes it is my lifeline.

Lorenzo "Surfer Joe" Valdambrini
(www.surfmusic.net)

djangodeadman wrote:

I really don't know what these allegations of "toxicity and snobbery" relate to. Perhaps you would care to elaborate? Mind you, I asked this question once before on these forums and received no reply. Maybe this time you will be more forthcoming.

This is well said Jon.

Lorenzo "Surfer Joe" Valdambrini
(www.surfmusic.net)

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next