Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink What song are you working on right now?

Goto Page: Previous 1 250 51 52 53 54

Cowabunga dude

I just figured out Vertigogo by Jan Davis, its not too hard to play with a little practice. Warm up required though. He played this in alternate tuning but I figured out a way to just play it in A Dorian in standard tuning Argh

https://jguitar.com/scale?root=A&scale=Dorian&fret=0&labels=none&notes=sharps

The intro starts on C# on the 4th fret on the A string and works up to the B string at the 3 and 5th fret etc. The main Riff starts down at the 7th fret on the D string. That's the hard part remembering the progression it walks the fret board etc. The solo starts back at the intro and eventually ends up on the High E and B strings between the 3rd and 7th frets etc. still working on the part.

Real fun song to play, I never see anyone do this song and couldn't find anything on it tab wise or info, so had to do it myself. Will make a video someday to explain how its played. its kind of complicated progression wise, but not too hard to eventually figure it out.

Correction: Ok I got fool by Vertigogo - its in F# Locrian
https://jguitar.com/scale?root=F%23&scale=Locrian&fret=0&labels=none&notes=sharps

It fooled me because its the same exact notes and pattern as A Dorian Argh but I noticed I was actually starting the intro on the D string 4th fret which is F# not C# like I said before , sorry I forgot it was on the D string not A ...Anyway I got the whole song down - took me a few days actually - the hardest surf song I ever tried like hundreds etc. the solo took my the longest and hard to remember all the licks and moves etc. >. I can't play this song cold. I usually have to play a few other songs to warm up my fingers to even attempt this song and usually need a second try at it to nail it. Must be a later song in the set list I guess lol. ..wow. Sigh

Last edited: Nov 02, 2019 16:39:29

I've been working on learning "Albatross" by Peter Green/Fleetwood Mac.

Working on the first original song by The Driptones. The track is called "Late Night Surf."

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

Currently arranging a three-piece rock version of A Shot in the Dark Cool

Danger!! Death Ray
Facebook
Instagram
YouTube
BandCamp

Summer Wind cause I’m singing it on Friday for a casuals gig with my jazz trio Hollywood Rhythm Kings. For fun I’m trying to get an original recorded for the surf compilation here at surf 101. Seeing how polished I can get it before the deadline. The title is This World Is A Lonely Place.

Squid From Madrid - New Single on Bandcamp
MB Website

Vertigogo is a wild ride!

Sam, the song starts out in A major. He's playing the ii to the V back and forth. Then it goes IV, then he makes the IV minor like the Beatles always did, and goes to the I. Then the ii, then the vi (F# minor) and from there he hits the iii but subs a major (Db maj) and then comes back to the vi.

Then at the 0:33 mark he changes key, making the vi he's still on a major and goes off into vertigo mode. The best bet is to follow the bass line through all of this part. I think he does this, after leaving the F# major:

A# diminished - A major - D# minor - A# major

Then I'd say he changes the key to Ab dorian and plays a I-IV spanning four measures, Ab minor to Db major.

Then at the 0:52 mark he goes into a V-I back and forth sequence back in A major, then goes to the IV, then drops a half step to C# major, then at 1:09 launches back into the same sequence that started the song off and finishes out the song hanging on the vi.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019 00:59:27

Thanks Redfeather

Yeah I think I have Verti-go-go just trying to play this song ...LOL

Yeah the A major fits, I must have been real stressed out from this song - I was off two whole frets, I picked out the wrong scale but had the playing right and notes on the lead on the fret board. I always get the 5th fret and 7th fret mixed up talking music, sorry everybody Argh

Ok I here the key change your talking about in the bass line so will try to pick that up too, it goes lower so missed that, hard to hear etc. Thanks

If nothing else its a fun song to play after a lot of practice, I like what I came up with so far, some parts of the lead I didn't like on the original arrangement anyway so did it my way.

The 2nd verse in A major is the same progression on the original recording but muted staccato type effect etc playing wise

How this translates into effective playing not sure, Jan used what he called "Hawaiian Tuning" That's why no one can get that deep tone like he had on a lot of instrumental guitar etc. One session man even had a argument with him saying there is no such tuning and Jan wouldn't tell anyone what open notes he used, because that's why he got so many jobs on sessions in the studio system getting that tone he had. He must have had a drop tuning style of some sort I never could figure out yet. One 1965 promotional photo has him fingering a weird looking barre chord I never saw before where most of the notes are just a the index finger and a two fretted notes on the last two strings. so I think he tuned where he could play chords mostly with barre chords then ??? Dunno

Not sure what open notes he used in this "Hawaiian Tuning" thing. So more than likely he was playing different positions than what we are on this song.

Somebody should tab this song out when we figure it out. Cool

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019 11:03:08

It sounds like you've been trying to establish the key based on the lead melody. That's just asking for trouble. The rhythm guitar and the bass line are the "key" components.

After running the song by my friend's ears, I've updated my original post a bit. I had some minors/majors wrong.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019 23:17:13

Just imagine a surf instrumental version.

Redfeather wrote:

\

After running the song by my friend's ears, I've updated my original post a bit. I had some minors/majors wrong.

Yeah the Vertigo-go effect on the ears. Its hard to hear the backing track at points or I'm deaf now, but I get the part your talking about. I need to map out the song better, I still don't like the end of original solo part, I came up with a arrangement more surf like "I think". Fun song to play though.

I’m going to throw this in this thread since it fits...

I’m learning and got the recommendation to figure songs out by ear. I’ve never done this and have always been intimidated by it to be honest. I need some start up advice.

What is a good app for the iPad for slowing down tracks?

What are the easiest 5 or so tunes to get started with figuring out tunes by ear?

Thanks!

I can't help with the app, but I will add that in addition to slowing the tempo, you also should have the ability to loop through a section. I've found that looping slowly through a measure or so and simultaneously picking out the notes really helps.

Have fun! You may be surprised that it's actually easy.

As for songs to learn, here are some I play that I think aren't too bad to learn: Midnight by The Shadows, Pacifica by Los Straitjackets, Penetration, Pipeline, Sleepwalk by Santo and Johnny. Not all surf, but all instrumental.

If I'd stop buying old guitars to fix, I might actually learn to play.
Bringing instruments back to life since 2013.

Hawaii 5-O.
We used to play it with Pollo Del Mar 20 years ago, and I'm ashamed to say I learned it wrong. Recently, I was going through old multi-track tapes and was surprised to find that PDM recorded it, though it was never released. You may have heard that MuSick Recordings is re-releasing their Ventures tribute and it will be greatly expanded, so after 17 years later, I'm finishing it. This will be the first new Pollo Track since "Pose of Awareness" in 2007.
Anyway, it's amazing how hard it is to learning something the right way after your fingers have been playing it the wrong way!

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

Malaguena, Miserlou, Bombora,

the ones I feel I have down I am always working on too.

Lately, I have been working on Malaguena (Trashmen) and Bikini Drag (Pyramids) in addition to working through a couple of new original tunes. I am teleworking during this Covid-19 lockdown so -on average- I have an extra 1 to 2 hours each day and more energy since I don't need to commute back and forth to the office.

Lorne
The Surf Shakers: https://www.facebook.com/TheSurfShakers
Vancouver BC Canada

Check out my Malaguena! Be gentle, I am new!

https://youtu.be/p2BUsNnGI4s

ldk wrote:

I can't help with the app, but I will add that in addition to slowing the tempo, you also should have the ability to loop through a section. I've found that looping slowly through a measure or so and simultaneously picking out the notes really helps.

Have fun! You may be surprised that it's actually easy.

As for songs to learn, here are some I play that I think aren't too bad to learn: Midnight by The Shadows, Pacifica by Los Straitjackets, Penetration, Pipeline, Sleepwalk by Santo and Johnny. Not all surf, but all instrumental.

Thanks! Appreciate the help!

Just figured out how to play Latin'ia by the Sentinals. I love the original but I'm also a huge fan of the Bambi Molesters version. Really atmospheric and trippy!

We just learned Endless Summer and Enchanted Sea on Sunday, so we’re trying to knock those into performance shape

Jill Martini & The Shrunken Heads

Goto Page: Previous 1 250 51 52 53 54