Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » SurfGuitar101 Website »

Permalink SG101 2019 MP3 Compilation

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

ArtS wrote:

Gotcha! Completely understand the desire to help each other improve. The thing that turned me off was "A 2-star rating must be a complete failure."

A 2-star rating means only that someone has a grudge against you.

If I hear something I don't like I just don't listen to it.

Insanitizers! http://www.insanitizers.com

My take on it is that the stars are just for fun. Each track has it's own charm, no matter what any critic says. This is no competition, it's simply a bunch of cool people making cool tracks. A lagoon of cool vibes, if you will.

I just hope more people contribute this year! I know there must be a lot of procrastinators, myself being one, but i guarantee i will submit a track this time. I'm just being picky about the final mix and master. I understand Brian will be doing the final mastering of the whole compilation but right now I'm just working on adding some compression to my final bounce down. The effects can be subtle, and it's not something every piece needs, but i like the vibe that compression imparts, it has the ability to limit peaks and even out the dynamics to "glue" each part together. It's just another way to experiment and have fun with the end product.

What he said. Agree I do wish there was a way for folks who want it, to get constructive criticism in a private way. But this, this needs to be a current of cool co-creative vibes...probably now more than ever.

mj
bent playing for benter results
Do not attempt to adjust your TV set.
https://www.facebook.com/Bass-VI-Explorers-Club-179437279151035/
https://www.facebook.com/Lost-Planet-Shamen-366987463657230/

Cool

I understand Brian will be doing the final mastering of the whole compilation

Ha, ha no! I wouldn't know how. We've never mastered the compilation.

I do wish there was a way for folks who want it, to get constructive criticism in a private way.

Start a forum thread and ask! If you don't want it posted publicly ask for a PM or email.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Anonymous rating is inconsistent with personal identification of the recordings. Raters should be personally identified, that would be equally fair.

Ratings made anonymously can reflect more about the raters than the music. Anonymous makes ratings "just for fun" only for raters.

Insanitizers! http://www.insanitizers.com

Squid wrote:

Anonymous rating is inconsistent with personal identification of the recordings. Raters should be personally identified, that would be equally fair.

Ratings made anonymously can reflect more about the raters than the music. Anonymous makes ratings "just for fun" only for raters.

I agree completely. If you give a track 2 stars (or 5 stars for that matter) you should put your name by it.

If I'd stop buying old guitars to fix, I might actually learn to play.
Bringing instruments back to life since 2013.

Brian wrote:

sandbug wrote: I understand Brian will be doing the final mastering of the whole compilation

Ha, ha no! I wouldn't know how. We've never mastered the compilation.

Gotcha. All the compilations still sound just fine! I see why everyone is saying "no need". Although i'm sure a fraction of individual entries have been produced by utilizing some post bounce down mastering effects, i imagine some folks have used EQ and compression to give their product a more "polished" feel, i consider that a form of mastering. I totally understand most tracks don't need that kind of thing, and unless it's something you're into then it shouldn't be given a second thought, it's definitely not a necessary step.

Wow there is at least 6 new tracks in the queue! Everyone is waiting until the last minute! I'll let you submit stuff the rest of the night then I'll get everything published tomorrow.

Eleventh hour Ed is almost done.........

ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

See you next year . . . Not enough time to do anything, spent 12 hours today and nothing worth putting on, too tired too late for this year.

I did learn how to use my Tascam Portastudio though not use to multitracking yet, I tried.

Wow 6 new songs on board though. Cool

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019 17:37:44

Just got done mixing and uploading for review "Toes in the Sand" It's 12:42am here on the East Coast! Hope everyone enjoys it!

Surfcat

2023 SG101 Compilation - Tribute to Noel
The Journey Home - Agent Octopus (Our SG101 Comp download)

From Atlantis with Love - Released - July 2023
Agent Octopus-Spotify
Christmas on the Beach - NEW SINGLE Dec 2023!!
Reverb Galaxy - Angle of Attack CD - BANDCAMP

Surf, the most dangerous of all musical genres...

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019 23:45:35

Gee AS, I thought we might be the late guys again..... The Surge! submission went out about 9:00 last night.

ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

Wow, 9 tracks in the queue this morning! Here we go:

On page 2
17 - The Aquasonics "Paddle or Die!"
18 - Rob_J "Geronimo"
19 - MC "Just Waiting for the Last Wave"
20 - NoiseMaker59 "Tubed!!"

On page 3

21 - The Aquatudes "Lead Sled"
22 - Rev Mike "Beat Surf"
23 - The Surge! "The Way (Fastball cover)"
24 - SandBug "Kulaar Sarang Surf"
25 - Agent Octopus "Toes in the Sand"

Thanks everybody, this was awesome! In the next couple of weeks I will gather all the songs up, edit mp3tags, and upload to archive.org where you can more easily listen, share, and download!

Thanks to everyone who sent in a track!

Thanks to all of the last minute people for boosting the song count to 25. A couple of days ago it was looking like this was going to end up being the shortest comp ever. We should all form a band called "The Procrastinators". Big Grin

Too late to throw one on the pile? I have not been on the site much and I guess I missed this.

SSIV

Hey Rob, I'll join if I can be late to practice..........

ed

I got another or two to chip in, but I imagine if we're at 25, the need may not be so great anymore. Popcorn

mj
bent playing for benter results
Do not attempt to adjust your TV set.
https://www.facebook.com/Bass-VI-Explorers-Club-179437279151035/
https://www.facebook.com/Lost-Planet-Shamen-366987463657230/

Cool

Hey Eddie - not only can you be late - it's a requirement!

I've decided that I'm going to stop being both a procrastinator AND a pessimist!

I'll start tomorrow -
but I don't think it's going to work.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019 22:21:55

LHR wrote:

Too late to throw one on the pile? I have not been on the site much and I guess I missed this.

Yeah we missed it alright Mad

I didn't even notice SG 101 had all these yearly comps being new this year, your band still uploads on Bandcamp right? I was thinking of doing that someday so I can make some chump change like everybody else too.. Big Grin

Its been like 20 years since I multitracked, its much harder than I remember. The Beatbuddy pedal was hard to get fills right. messed up by either accidently ending too soon or hitting the pedal at the wrong point etc.

I like everyone's songs and recording this year, I listened to everyone plus all the past comps since 2005 etc. Lots of music to plow through.

Just as a idea why doesn't SG101 have a Bandcamp account to raise earnings for donations with these yearly comps etc or is that already being done?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019 16:03:40

My first guess is copyright stuff.

I’m sad you didn’t submit anything Sam, after all your posting and controversial opinions I wanted to hear you play!

I think the ratings are bogus. And that was before my song had a less-than-perfect rating! Comments comments comments, far more useful than ratings. What is the point of the five star rating? Is anyone going to pass on a song because of a low rating?

Nonetheless these comps are a rare bright and humble spot in this new age of BS. I’ve got the holidays off and I’m gonna dedicate time to comment on every song. And, I’m going to not vote the stars, but instead give two ratings inside the comments:

Vision (originality / experience)
Execution (production)

I’m sure I’ll make enemies of anyone who doesn’t already hate me. But I will be honest!

Daniel Deathtide

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next