Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » SurfGuitar101 Website »

Permalink SG101 2019 MP3 Compilation

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Hey everyone, I'm travelling for work this week so it may take me a bit longer to get things published. Thanks for the interest this year!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Hey I'm not finding a lot of free time on this work trip so I will publish all the tracks in the queue when I get back this weekend!

Thanks everyone for your patience. Here are 3 new tracks!!!! Thanks to the creators and for sharing here! You rock!

https://surfguitar101.com/downloads/category/2019-sg101-mp3-compilation/title/?page=2

11 - Eddie Katcher "The One I Love/R.E.M. cover"
12 - Lost Planet Shamen "Ray Bong"
13 - ldk "Three Days in the Saddle"

All the songs so far on the "SG101 2019 MP3 Compilation" sound pretty good for home brew recordings Cool Nice stuff on here.

I just noticed all the old school surf recordings used tape delay machines either pumped into the tank or jacked into board some how. I've been messing with different set ups to get a authentic surf sound. I always thought there was only Tank Reverb back then, but all the studios used tape delay machines as well to get that sound, even The Ventures.

I will attempt my recording using this technique to see what people think, The tape delay machine and the tank together sounds pretty good to me effects wise.

Has anyone tried this before on here?

Last edited: Dec 08, 2019 18:01:17

Apologies (especially to Joelman), I have 2 songs in the queue, I will try to get those published tonight.

Wow the deadline is in 3 days Shock

"The deadline for submitting an mp3 is Saturday, December 14th, 2019."

Doesn't look good for me right now, will try.

New entry tonight!

14 - El Pablo "Laidback Larry Longboarding"

Joelman, please check your PM's!

And yes, I guess this thing ends on Saturday!

Two questions:

1) Is deadline, midnight on 12/14/19? Jim and I are close, but it will be last minute!
2) Is everyone mastering their songs?

Surfcat

2023 SG101 Compilation - Tribute to Noel
The Journey Home - Agent Octopus (Our SG101 Comp download)

From Atlantis with Love - Released - July 2023
Agent Octopus-Spotify
Christmas on the Beach - NEW SINGLE Dec 2023!!
Reverb Galaxy - Angle of Attack CD - BANDCAMP

Surf, the most dangerous of all musical genres...

Hi Art!

1) Anytime on Saturday is fine
2) Here's what DannySnyder said about mastering

Sandbug, no need to master it. Just do a good mix and post it. Mastering is for when you have a group of songs going onto a specific format.

Brian wrote:

Apologies (especially to Joelman), I have 2 songs in the queue, I will try to get those published tonight.

No apologies needed.
I thank you for the privilege of allowing me and the other members here to do this each year.
You are a good man Charle (Brian) Brown.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019 11:28:08

ArtS wrote:

Two questions:

1) Is deadline, midnight on 12/14/19? Jim and I are close, but it will be last minute!
2) Is everyone mastering their songs?

I was working on a arrangement for the cover so it won't sound the same as the original record, haven't even turned on my recording gear yet - I just could not get the free time to it yet. I will attempt recording on Friday the 13th LOL

Mastering will be hard for me being I have to read the manuals and drum machine programing etc, I should have a professional sounding recording if with all the stuff I have if get it done. Argh

Now I'm too tired to play, goofing off on the net now. Mad

Mastering would have to be done by me to make sure all the tracks have similar volume, etc. I would not worry about that, we've never done that before.

Thank you Joelman!

2 great tracks tonight!

15 - Joelman "Endless Summer"
16 - Aloha Sluts "Fuzzy & Scandinavian"

On page 2: https://surfguitar101.com/downloads/category/2019-sg101-mp3-compilation/title/?page=2

Thank you!!!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019 20:36:49

I don’t know if others feel this way, but I have a request for those who rate and comment on the submissions to the compilations.

I’d like to request that if you leave a star rating, then you also leave a comment supporting your rating. This will help the musicians who submitted improve their work. We’re doing this for fun, and I’m sure we’re all interested in doing better.

In a way, a 4- or 5-star rating might not need a comment, but what aspects of a 5-star track made you think it was great? For a 4-star rating, what did you like and what little thing was lacking that could have made it great? More reverb? Better balance in the mix?

For a 3-star rating, there must be something major lacking. What was it? Poor melody? Guitar out of tune? Tacky electronic drums? Not keeping the beat?

A 2-star rating must be a complete failure. What did you hate? Be constructive, though.

Be careful about giving a poor rating to a style of music you just don’t like. For this, you’re better off leaving a comment and not giving a star rating.

I have all the compilations downloaded and I’ve got them in my surf-music mix. Really great stuff in there. I appreciate everyone’s efforts and also Brian’s work having the compilations each year.

If I'd stop buying old guitars to fix, I might actually learn to play.
Bringing instruments back to life since 2013.

Idk,
Sure many of us want to get better, but that's not always the objective of a "fun" projects like this. To be honest with you, we (Jim and I) are putting a song together in about 2 days, so comments are not really going to help us "grow". We just want to put something up that people might enjoy, but other folks may want the comments.

So while I'm against a structured rating system, I will defer to the SG101 masses and their unparalleled wisdom. Big Grin

Surfcat

Agent Octopus-Spotify

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019 14:16:41

ArtS wrote:

Idk,
Sure many of us want to get better, but that's not always the objective of a "fun" projects like this. To be honest with you, we (Jim and I) are putting a song together in about 2 days, so comments are not really going to help us "grow". We just want to put something up that people might enjoy, but other folks may want the comments.

So while I'm against a structured rating system, I will defer to the SG101 masses and their unparalleled wisdom. Big Grin

Just to be clear, I'm not advocating for a structured rating system. I'm saying if you give a star rating, then also leave a comment to explain it.

If I'd stop buying old guitars to fix, I might actually learn to play.
Bringing instruments back to life since 2013.

ldk wrote:

ArtS wrote:

Idk,

Just to be clear, I'm not advocating for a structured rating system. I'm saying if you give a star rating, then also leave a comment to explain it.

Oh no the Music Police Shock Big Grin

Well I will be busted with the bad playing I did today. My god this was a all time low for me today. I was so wore out fixing grounding problems and finding lost cables etc I couldn't play very well today, I had to switch to another song from all the lost time, never even turned on the recorder yet. I had to whip out my beat buddy pedal to save time from having to program my SR-16 drum machine etc.

If I get anything done it will be miracle, The only thig that happened good to day was I found a micro USB cable I need to transfer to my computer at the Dollar Store Laughing

ldk wrote:

For a 3-star rating, there must be something major lacking.

However, on Netflix a 3 star rating means "liked it", 4 stars means "Liked it a lot" and 5 stars means "loved it." So on Netflix there's no major lack with 3 stars. If Netflix's meaning is not the standard meaning, there is no standard meaning.

Moreover, you know there are positive and negative feelings that SG101 members have about each other. Of course these influence ratings. Feelings about a music recording are obviously influenced by feelings about the musicians involved.

Personally I don't put "star" ratings on songs but I do leave comments on a few.

Insanitizers! http://www.insanitizers.com

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019 21:43:39

Gotcha! Completely understand the desire to help each other improve. The thing that turned me off was "A 2-star rating must be a complete failure." Don't want to discourage people from submitting and sharing their songs, especially when they are not putting it out for public distribution and our opinions are very subjective.

Surfcat

Agent Octopus-Spotify

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019 21:45:46

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next