Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink NGD: 1984 MIJ Fender Stratocaster '62 RI (Updated pics in OP)

Page 1 of 1

We played a couple shows in the Seattle area last weekend and look what followed me home...

I picked it up at Mike & Mike's Guitar Bar, a really great shop if you're ever in the area. Also, one of the Mikes used to play in The 'Verb so there's a surf connection too. The guitar is super resonant and the neck feels great! I have an early '90s MIJ Strat that is my main workhorse and I think this will complement it well. It's currently getting set up with proper strings, a 3-way switch, and black knobs and covers. More pics when I get it back.

Updated pics below:

It’s all set up and ready to go! I hope to gig it this Saturday! If tinkering on it at the house is any indication I think it will make a great addition to the family!

-John

The Seatopians 2017-
The Seatopians on bandcamp

Last edited: Nov 07, 2019 11:39:26

Nice score, John! Congratulations! Those MIJ strats are really nice.

Bob

Thanks Bob! I agree wholeheartedly.

-John

The Seatopians 2017-

That looks cool- I dig the tort/white on black a lot.

Deal with reality, or reality will deal with you.

yeah nice -

I looked up Mike & Mike's Guitar Bar on Google Maps, they had a picture inside as well, looks like they deal in Jazzmasters, Jaguars and Mustangs too. They had some nice stuff in there I guess, I saw they had a few vintage Japanese guitars too.

I liked the modernized Strats from the 1980's , they had black headstocks and crazy body colors back then a lot of people didn't like. They had a innovative lock nut lever with a Ibanez style floating bridge that was killer too, the best Strat design ever, but nobody bought them. I think the 1988 Strats were only made in Japan when Fender moved. Nice 1984 though Cool

I'm not sure what it is, but the early 80's Fenders out of Japan seem to be exceptionally good by consensus, and my few experiences bear this out. I bought an '85 or so Squier Stratocaster at a good enough price that I was willing to pay the shipping from Japan, and it wound up beating out every other Stratocaster I've ever tried (though admittedly no American Vintage series...). It's just a really nice feeling, resonant guitar, like you describe. I've always wanted to get my hands on an 80's MIJ Jazzmaster or Jaguar but never had the chance.

The Mystery Men?
El Capitan and The Reluctant Sadists
SSS Agent #31

Last edited: Nov 02, 2019 08:26:27

Derp, double post.

The Mystery Men?
El Capitan and The Reluctant Sadists
SSS Agent #31

Last edited: Nov 02, 2019 08:26:46

Thanks guys!

Richard, that’s been my experience as well. I haven’t played tons of them but it’s seems like that time period was a good one for MIJ Fender.

Here’s a few pics from M&M’s:

-John

The Seatopians 2017-

They say when someone buys a strat an angel gets it's wings but that's not as important as someone getting a strat. Congrats!!! Beautiful guitar! It's similar to my 78 but the 78 is not set up for surf. Doesn't show in the pic but it's tortoise shell also.

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

Last edited: Nov 02, 2019 14:40:05

Stratdancer, those are great looking axes!

-John

The Seatopians 2017-

Last edited: Nov 03, 2019 01:32:51

-John

The Seatopians 2017-

Last edited: Nov 03, 2019 01:33:25

Whoops! Triple post - I suck! Please remove

-John

The Seatopians 2017-

Last edited: Nov 03, 2019 01:35:07

zunrj5 wrote:

Stratdancer, those are great looking axes!

Thanks! The black one belonged to a guy named Michael Stanley who was pretty famous in the late 70's and early 80's with a couple of hits. He had installed a 70's Super Distortion pickup in it. It just screams so it doesn't share surf duties. The red strat is a Jimmy Vaughn strat that does many things but isn't part of the surf strat collection. Both strung with 10's

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

Updated pics in first post

-John

The Seatopians 2017-

Just seeing this. Congratulations!
A '62 RI from '84 was literally my first Strat & wish I had it now. Absolutely one of the best Strats I've ever laid my hands on. It was so breathy, and live. Actually finished out a set by candlelight, unplugged, when the roadhouse we were playing lost power. These are really good scores when you find 'em.
Nice that you "adopted" this one. Smile

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Badger wrote:

Just seeing this. Congratulations!
A '62 RI from '84 was literally my first Strat & wish I had it now. Absolutely one of the best Strats I've ever laid my hands on. It was so breathy, and live. Actually finished out a set by candlelight, unplugged, when the roadhouse we were playing lost power. These are really good scores when you find 'em.
Nice that you "adopted" this one. Smile

Thanks Wes! I agree the few from that era that I’ve been lucky enough to play have all been amazing. That’s really cool about finishing out a set unplugged too - LOL!

-John

The Seatopians 2017-

Page 1 of 1