Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink The Surfy Bear Fet Reverb

Goto Page: Previous 1 2121 122 123 124 125135 136 Next

Hi,i built on of the surfybear fet reverb kits a few years back. everything has been great with it until recently when i get no reverb at all, the blend doesnt really do much except giving me a slightly driven clean tone.

Anyone got any ideas?? I think that perhaps the tank might have gone but would it still pass signal??

Thanks

I've had a tank go and signal was still passing with one of my tube units. Probably worth trying another pan.

-Pierre
The Obsidians! (Ottawa surf)
The Obsidians debut EP

bjoish wrote:

Pierre, the transducers inside the reverb pan can pick up electromagnetic interference from the surroundings in the same way as guitar pickups.
Have you tried to move the pan away from the power supply of the pedal board?

My power supply is right under the tank. I will re-arrange the pedalboard and try that. Thanks!

-Pierre
The Obsidians debut EP

oops doublepost

-Pierre
The Obsidians debut EP

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019 15:22:39

PMowdes, I have the same exact problem. My power supply went 'bad', and started making a terrible hum. Replaced the power supply, and now I get no wet at all. Maxing both dwell and blend, I can get a little, when I crash the pan. Pan looks fine. I emailed Bjorn, so we'll see what he thinks. Did you touch the gain at all?

https://www.facebook.com/gnarlymen/

https://gnarlymen.bandcamp.com/

Got my kit together and mounted it in a cheap vintage tool box. Sounds killer, still need to instal some sort of a power switch/push button switch and an indicator light, not sure wear to start, how to do it, or what to use. And then the search continues for a tremolo.

And sorry for the double post, if someone can tell me how to delete a post, I will remove the new topic that I started.

Just got the Surfybear Metal and it sounds absolutely amazing. Better than my DIY kit (I messed with the internal trim pot a bit too much and I didn't secure the tank properly). I love the extra volume boost pot. Was fun to build a DIY one but for my time/money the prebuilt was the right choice for me after all!

-Pierre
The Obsidians debut EP

PMowdes wrote:

Hi,i built on of the surfybear fet reverb kits a few years back. everything has been great with it until recently when i get no reverb at all, the blend doesnt really do much except giving me a slightly driven clean tone.

Anyone got any ideas?? I think that perhaps the tank might have gone but would it still pass signal??

Thanks

Hi PMOwdes
Have you seen the troubleshooting info on the faq page on our website?
Please contact Service on the SurfyIndustries website!
/Björn

I actually have the same problem with my Texotica tube reverb. I had just poked around inside with the tank and suspect that is my problem. Perhaps your tank gave out? Or the RCA cables?

-Pierre
The Obsidians debut EP

TJYarbro wrote:

PMowdes, I have the same exact problem. My power supply went 'bad', and started making a terrible hum. Replaced the power supply, and now I get no wet at all. Maxing both dwell and blend, I can get a little, when I crash the pan. Pan looks fine. I emailed Bjorn, so we'll see what he thinks. Did you touch the gain at all?

Now you mention it mine did start to hum a bit before it died. I wonder if something fried and then the tank died. I just dont know where to start to debug it.

bjoish wrote:

PMowdes wrote:

Thanks

Hi PMOwdes
Have you seen the troubleshooting info on the faq page on our website?
Please contact Service on the SurfyIndustries website!
/Björn

HI Bjorn

I've looked at the FAQ page, nothing really seems to be helpful tbh. i might try to work my way through it with an audio probe, but i'm not overly familiar with spring reverb so i might not know what i am looking for. I'll drop an email to service@surfy .... as well.

Thanks

Phil

Hi all
Finally finished my Surfybear/SurfyTrem pedal.
Featuring an enclosed TAD short spring tank and finished in rough blonde tolex with surf green panels and sides.
No true bypass footswitches but when switched off no noticeable effect on tone.
This thing sounds awesome with tonnes of reverb available and bearing in mind that its a short spring tank there is a fair amount of drip.
Dialed in and you get a very rich vintage reverb
The trem is amazing, brownface is incredible.
I am hearing that Surfy Industries have some new stuff coming out soon, looking forward to learning more.

outlaw wrote:

Hi all
Finally finished my Surfybear/SurfyTrem pedal.
Featuring an enclosed TAD short spring tank and finished in rough blonde tolex with surf green panels and sides.
No true bypass footswitches but when switched off no noticeable effect on tone.
This thing sounds awesome with tonnes of reverb available and bearing in mind that its a short spring tank there is a fair amount of drip.
Dialed in and you get a very rich vintage reverb
The trem is amazing, brownface is incredible.
I am hearing that Surfy Industries have some new stuff coming out soon, looking forward to learning more.

Beautiful work! A work of art in fact. A word about the bypass on the trem circuit. There is magic in that circuit that has an effect on tone that helps boost drip and produce a more full sound. I use the same pedal board when I'm playing crunch through my Marshalls and it has an amazing creamy early 80's metal tone. With surf I only use my trem pedal for about 5 minutes during a two hour show but that pedal will never leave my board.

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

Fabulous job and beautiful looking. The 3 spring shorty TAD and MOD pans are typically fat and rich sounding. Have to admit, I've actually backed off some of the high treble / super drippy went tone for a richer, fatter verb tone on my outboard tube reverb. The treble is starting to become a little too fatiguing. Probably better in a band mix, but not so much solo.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019 11:56:46

Wow that looks AMAZING

-Pierre
The Obsidians debut EP

Yes it's another red toolbox build. I just completed this fun project.

So I took a boring toolbox, added some bits, like rubber feet, and made a thing that does stuff and is not boring. The magic number is 666 Smile Smile Smile

Added features to use either an internal 5v power bank battery or external regulated power supply, a battery charging point, and power outlets for other devices e.g. other effects pedals, phone charging etc. using Songbird FX's Birdcord 5v USB to 9v and 12v DC adaptor cables.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019 16:30:04

Downed Aviator, very well done internals! Looks super clean and tidy.

SandBug wrote:

Downed Aviator, very well done internals! Looks super clean and tidy.

Thanks Smile

Although the toolbox solution is far from original, it is a cost effective and simple option, but I did try to be neat and add some features.

Others here have made some amazing creations to house the Surfy Bear, requiring more skill, time, and ingenuity than I possess, so kudos to them. I was just relieved when I first nervously applied power that it actually worked Smile

Hi Downed_Aviator, That is a great looking build! Welcome to the red toolbox reverb club. I'm especially excited to see that you are using a 5v to 12v USB step up cable to power your unit. You are the first person I've seen use that technology here at SG101 since I posted about it when I built my pedal board. I don't think a 12v USB adapter was available when I built my board. It looks like it was first introduced early this year, so thanks for bringing it to my attention. I definitely plan to work it into my Surfy Bear build.

What type of power bank are you using and how long can you power your Surfy Bear reverb with the Songbird FX's Birdcord 5v USB to 12v DC adaptor cable?

-Tim
MyYouTubeChannel
My Classic Instrumental Surf Music Timeline
SSS Agent #777

SilverFlash wrote:

Hi Downed_Aviator, That is a great looking build! Welcome to the red toolbox reverb club. I'm especially excited to see that you are using a 5v to 12v USB step up cable to power your unit. You are the first person I've seen use that technology here at SG101 since I posted about it when I built my pedal board. I don't think a 12v USB adapter was available when I built my board. It looks like it was first introduced early this year, so thanks for bringing it to my attention. I definitely plan to work it into my Surfy Bear build.

What type of power bank are you using and how long can you power your Surfy Bear reverb with the Songbird FX's Birdcord 5v USB to 12v DC adaptor cable?

Hi Tim,

I have only recently completed the build and so far I have not used it extensively on battery. I am running some tests now to answer your questions. I will update as soon as I have some useful data.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019 22:04:38

Goto Page: Previous 1 2121 122 123 124 125135 136 Next