Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Videos »

Permalink Jon & the Nightriders - Videos from Tiki Oasis 2019 (final concert)

Page 1 of 1

Hey folks,
as some of you may know, Jon & the Nightriders appeared at this year's Tiki Oasis, which was only fitting because of the theme and the 40th anniversary of the first Nightriders-EP released in 1979.

I was very happy yesterday after finding some videos of the concert, which I will link to below. Today however, I am very sad as I read a Facebook post by Dusty Watson, that this was Jon & the Nightrider's "final performance". (This means I will never get to see the band, which spurred my desire to learn to play guitar...)

The band had a huge impact on the modern surf scene, hell it pretty much started it in the first place and wrote the book on how to play surf music in the modern age with tight roots and an open ear for new things.

Whatever the reasons may be for finally closing this chapter, thank you for all the great records and good luck in your future projects!

Los Apollos - cinematic surf music trio (Berlin)
"Postcards from the Scrapyard" Vol. 1, 2 & 3 NOW available on various platforms!
"Chaos at the Lobster Lounge" available as LP and download on Surf Cookie Records!

Thank you so much for compiling these videos here Simon. I had seen some on Facebook but of course you can't share those here. I too was devastated to learn it was their final performance. If I had a surf band it would definitely start out being nothing but a Jon & The Nightriders cover band (or aspire to -- not many can pull that off).

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

I'll echo the thanks, Simon! This is the perfect place to have these collected. Bittersweet without question, but so glad to see it all memorialized for the ages!

The sound is fantastic!!!!

Daniel Deathtide

Sad to say I missed this year's Tiki Oasis, as I could only stay for the Friday to Sunday events with SG101. I'm also sad to hear about J & T N calling it quits. It was their album, Surf Beat '80, that rekindled my love of surf music.

I would like to officially announce, however, that if anyone does indeed want to start a "Jon and the Nightriders TRIBUTE band" to perform for SG101 in 2020, I'm 100% in! —

_

Hi, I'm Gellert, guitarist for The Fintastics.

https://www.facebook.com/TheFintastics

Here are two more videos from Facebook (you can also watch these without an account):
Ramgaya
Force of Gravity

I see some familiar faces in the crowd, maybe someone likes to write a few lines about the concert?

"Postcards from the Scrapyard" Vol. 1, 2 & 3 NOW available on various platforms!
"Chaos at the Lobster Lounge" available as LP and download on Surf Cookie Records!

Hitman!

(and a Youtube version of Force of Gravity)

I'm so grateful for all these videos, that this Crumhunger Cinema guy continues to upload. Smile

Thanks Simon!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Way Kool!

Would love to get a Jon and The Nightriders cover band together on CapeCod!!!

MadScientist wrote:

I'll echo the thanks, Simon! This is the perfect place to have these collected. Bittersweet without question, but so glad to see it all memorialized for the ages!

what jamie said

www.surfintheeye.com

Page 1 of 1