Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
326 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
254 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
254 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
174 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
152 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
121 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
114 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
75 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
8 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
8 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Price of new guitars

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

I don’t understand why people are always complaining about the price of new guitars. They say that they are overpriced and they wouldn’t buy a new Strat or telecaster because they are overpriced and they think custom shop is way overpriced. But if you do simple calculations with inflation you see that from the very beginning from the first telecaster on that in today’s money the average Fender guitar listed in the two thousand dollars range. For example a Strat in 1965 cost $289.50 whereas in today’s money that is $2331.50 The same goes for amps people say $2000 is too much to pay for an amp but you would’ve paid about the same amount in 1950s or 60s dollars as you would today. If anything guitars have gotten cheaper (less expensive)as well as amps

Instroverb, I agree with you totally. I always wondered that too. Why an Fender American Original '60s Stratocaster that cost $1,950 compared to a Strat from, as you noted, 1965 in today's money adjusted for inflation is $2,331.50. So the new one today actually cost the consumer less. So not sure why the flack over a Strat that's $1,950 when the price is less than a new one way back in the '60s.

Yeah, generally speaking, things made by skilled hands in the USA are grossly undervalued by consumers. We've grown spoiled by the USA's exploitation of cheap labor elsewhere.

Then again, it doesn't help that you can take a used Classic Vibe Strat, add some Pure Vintage '59 pickups, give it a fret job, and have something that plays and sounds just like a John Mayer Strat...

I'll say this.
My new USA built Stratocaster elite hss cost nearly $2000.00 with taxes and all. It is a joy to play.
And my new Epiphone Les Paul standard plus top pro Cost just $649.00 including taxes.
Both guitars play great!
The Epi is Chinese built. A beauty to the eye. The quality seems very high. Plays great!
I don't think my Strat was overpriced. It is the cost of buying American. Which I prefer to do.
But the same guitar as my Epi by Gibson which would cost ~ $2600.00 I consider way over priced when side by side comparisons are made.
There isn't a Mexican strat to compare with my elite strat. But I have seen some very nice Mexican strats.
What I'm say is that price vs value is in the eye of the payee.
The cost kept lower in comparison to years past is a hallmark to mechanization of the manufacturing processes of today.
I don't have a problem with it at all.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019 16:03:06

I don’t mind foreign made guitars but if I bought a USA made Strat like yours it would be more special to me than a foreign made model. I have a 2003 AVRI 62 Jazzmaster I bought new in 2003. It was $1150 if I recall. It’s nice that Americans made it and got paid to do so. I have a Japanese Mosrite that I love. I also have two US vintage Mosrites and a 1964 Gretsch Country Club. A Mexican Classic Player’s 60s Strat that’s awesome. I think the foreign guitars are great like you mentioned. By the way I remember in the late 90s US made 62 and 57 Strats cost about $850 now they are about twice that. Part of it is inflation and part may be Fender just wants to make more money.

SurfMania wrote:

I don’t mind foreign made guitars but if I bought a USA made Strat like yours it would be more special to me than a foreign made model. I have a 2003 AVRI 62 Jazzmaster I bought new in 2003. It was $1150 if I recall. It’s nice that Americans made it and got paid to do so. I have a Japanese Mosrite that I love. I also have two US vintage Mosrites and a 1964 Gretsch Country Club. A Mexican Classic Player’s 60s Strat that’s awesome. I think the foreign guitars are great like you mentioned. By the way I remember in the late 90s US made 62 and 57 Strats cost about $850 now they are about twice that. Part of it is inflation and part may be Fender just wants to make more money.

I don't fault any company for wanting to make money.Or as you have put it, 'more', money. The consumer will determine how much something can sell for. Price your product to high, and have fewer sales. Or put yourself right out of business. Price to low, and you make nothing. Same results, out of business.
It's all a give and take.
BTW, my Strat is my first to grab when I play. The neck is perfect.
I actually bought it a couple of years ago.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019 18:17:07

Joel, I have to agree with you. If it's priced too high consumers won't buy it so in some ways it's a combination of inflation and the consumer demand. So if inflation causes the prices of materials and labor to go up they must raise the price and they also must make a profit yet at the same time depends on how much consumers will pay. So has to be priced enough to cover cost of making it and also to profit off of it but not too much where people are not put off from buying. And yes you are correct I don't have a problem with them wanting to make money otherwise why be in business?

With that said I wish I had purchased more guitars in the late '90s. Even though I make more money now and probably could afford to buy more now, I sort of don't want to. I make more money now but if I had just put out some money back then I would have had some nice instruments for less money than now. I saw a Custom Shop Strat, a 1950s in Shoreline Gold, flamed maple neck and gold hardware for $1,350. Sure I would have spent more than I should spend then but I had the money and would have made up for it. Oh well, woulda, coulda, shoulda ...

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019 02:15:00

Many people are so strapped buying high dollar real estate with high payments and other rising costs eating up any literal play money to spend. On top of that used eBay markets does better then new guitar sales now (Or at least last year)

I was thinking of selling all my guitars but two, Strat, and Jag etc. before the market crashes, but I rather have the guitars then the money I guess. But I do expect values to drop when the Baby Boomers get too old to be active in the market. Most older ones have no plans to buy anymore even now.

I have a Vegas Gold Sparkle Mexican made Stratocaster from 2014 I got used and changed it by putting on a cheap Korean made load pickguard I bought for 10 bucks. It was shorted out but I fixed that and it looks and sounds a lot like Dick Dales Beast. Right now this is my favorite guitar overall. I run it all wide open, never took out the pots etc...

Buying used helps a bit, but it is nice to have a new guitar, but I would buy a new series or model that would work for Surf over a old design myself if it was new.

The Strat Elite is the top of the line USA made non-Custom Shop Fender contemporary style guitar. All the components are top notch and workmanship and playability are typically stellar on these guitars (the most you will have to do is tweak the bridge height and/or truss rod to get to get perfection). I have found that most USA made Fenders are really well built guitars in general. The made in Mexico stuff can be very, very good also, especially with a good set-up (but that can be said for most guitars).
Regarding Gibsons, in my experience, when they are good, they are amazing; when they are bad they are disasters (especially given the price point). I have a 2016 Gibson J-29 acoustic that looks, plays and sounds amazing. But I had an SG Standard that the lacquer was to soft that you could put an indentation on the back of the neck with your thumbnail and also developed loose bridge posts. Hopefully, the new folks at Gibson will take some time out from threatening to sue everyone and successfully address those QC issues.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019 11:05:14

The discussion about guitar prices applies as well to music album prices. In 1965 I paid about $3.50 at discount for new Ventures vinyl LP albums. Stereo albums cost a bit more than Monaural, because stereo was new at the time. Using the same inflation numbers, $3.50 then corresponds to $28.19 now. Observations and implications about this abound and are self-evident so I will not elaborate on them other than to say that the costs of physical manufacture of an LP album then and a CD album now represent a tiny fraction of the selling price.

Insanitizers! http://www.insanitizers.com

Surf musicians especially strat players have it good. The used market is generally full of lower cost used instruments and parts. Deals on bodies, necks and parts can be found everywhere to the point that you can build an absolute beast of a strat with genuine fender parts for around 750.00 give or take. My last strat acquisition was a build with genuine Fender parts and its incredible. All used parts cost me less than 500.00.

The Chinese are making some incredible replicas of famous guitars for pennies on the dollar. I have purchased several and did many upgrades for playability and tone. Minimal dollar output and they play great. They are just home players. The strat is where I won't compromise. It's American or else.

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

Yeah I first started buying records in 1981 and if I recall correctly albums on vinyl were $7.99. Cassettes I believe we’re maybe a buck less but that may be wrong. Albums started going up to 8.99 and I remember Joan Jett felt that the rising prices of albums were unfair to her fans and pushed to keep the album prices from going up. This was like 35 plus years ago and not sure if she was successful in getting the record company to keep her prices down. I was a huge Joan Jett fan, or fan boy really, back then.

Surfing_Sam brings up a good point. I may add that even though adjusted for inflation a US made Strat is less than if you bought one in 1962, I don’t think a lot of guitarist think of that they just see the numbers. They just see $289 for a Strat in 1962 vs. $1,800 today. But with inflation you are better off financially today but most don’t think that way. Although I make a decent wage I rather spend $900 on a Mexican Strat than twice that on a USA. With that said I’m rethinking my way of thought and wondering if maybe I should buy a USA Strat. I bought a USA Jazzmaster and feel it’s just that more special. It’s even made in my home state just 70 miles from my home. But I don’t blame anyone from buying a Mexican Strat for less. Money doesn’t come easy. Also I don’t blame anyone from buying used. I do that but I also buy new.

I've owned 2 Mexican Strats, both got modified to the point where little was left of the original guitar. Now own a 2014 American Standard Strat, and it's a good reminder of you get what you pay for. All the upgrades I did on the Mexican Strats are already in place. Nothing really needs to be replaced other then if you want something different. Many players love the Mexican Strats, their good guitars. But you can have better, especially if you buy used.

I've been fortunate to acquire a lot of good USA-made gear over the past 50+ years. But I've been downsizing since these days because in the past few years I'm in the studio 90% of the time and since I recently relocated to Kansas City from Atlanta, it looks like it will be 100% now.

Yes, the USA Fenders and Gibsons are better than the MIM and MIJ ones. I only had one MIJ (a gorgeous '54 Strat reissue) that was beautifully finished but the electronics and the tuners were junk. Yes, I could have upgraded it but at the time there were other priorities.

The MIM ones, though, were really good guitars out of the box and felt and played more like USA Fenders. However, all the MIM ones I had or tried were either "Classic Series" or Road Worn ones which are a noticeable step above the Standard series ones.

Over the last half century I've had over a dozen Strats, most were AVRI's along with four Custom Shop ones. I kept my three favorite Strats and guess what?.....One of them is a completely stock MIM Road Worn.

My point is, not all MIM's are created equal. The now out of production Classic Series MIM's were great value for money compared to a AVRI. The new Vintera series MIM's seem to be a slight upgrade from the Classics. But if you aren't turned off by the light relicing of the current version, at half the price of a new American Original the MIM Road Worn Fenders are definitely worth checking out. They have hotter Tex-Mex pickups and have the look and feel of a vintage Strat if that is your thing.

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

I think maybe the best deal in new guitars is the G&L Tribute series. They use all the same components as the American made stuff but are screwed together overseas for a vast discount in price.

Redfeather wrote:

I think maybe the best deal in new guitars is the G&L Tribute series. They use all the same components as the American made stuff but are screwed together overseas for a vast discount in price.

Funny you mentioned that. I tried a used one at Guitar Center three days ago. I love the trem. I find it better than the various Fender Strat trems. Strat trems are good, don't get me wrong but the G&L I felt is better. If I didn't have a fine Fender Classic Players 60s Strat I may have bought the G&L.

Yeah G&L always had good stuff since Fender started it, he was competing with CBS after they bought him out. I think he had to wait 6 years being that was in the sales contract with CBS. He thought he was dying of heart trouble when he started secret negotiations with CBS in 1964. but lived many years later.

I like that Jazzmaster copy type guitar G&L has, nice.

But if you buy a USA made top of the line Fender its really good stuff equal and better than G&L. All the rough edges are smooth and road worthy guitars or feel played or worn in right out of the box. Its all in what you can afford and want to pay for it in the end.

Ok if your a surfer, are you going to be happy if you don't have a real Fender Jaguar or Stratocaster, Jazzmaster of decent quality and historical vibe to it? It all comes down to what is more important to you.

I do have a lot of cheap guitars - too many to list, some are not that bad for the money (one was 59 dollars new) but its not a good quality Strat either, MIM Strat much closer, but its not a USA top quality though, but it all comes down to what you can or want to afford/

Supposedly Japan Fender is much better than Fender USA, all I know is my Fender Jaguar (Japan) is the worst one I have electronically - I'm ready to kit bash this thing soon - pulling the guts out to see if I can get some serious surf tone out of it. Even my Squires sound better.

I will say cost of a guitar is no indicator of playability either, its trail and error with all this stuff.

I don't know why you think Fender's best is better than G&L's best but I'd be interested in seeing or hearing an objective point by point comparison.

G&L's vibrato system is better, owing in part to their stable arm mounting system, as well as their smooth saddles that don't chew up your hand like that stamped crap Fender keeps selling. Granted, they also use more modern saddles, I know.

Every G&L fretboard is put through a Plek machine and I don't know if Fender does that on anything.

G&L's PTB wiring scheme, in my opinion, is vastly superior to Fender's traditional Strat wiring scheme. That's only opinion, though. But I can say I'm using it on every strat I put together in the future. The bass cut pot is great.

G&L gives you the bridge/neck combo on some of their models as well. I think Fender probably started doing that in an act of catch-up.

Anyway, I don't think Fender has anything on G&L other than a (much) better looking headstock shape.

Ok I'll give you G%L has a extra fret on the neck of their Leagacy style strat design. The lock down wammy is cool along with the two point bridge design, but I don't use the 22nd fret anyway so and don't lock a wammy bar in place either. . .tough call on quality though. It depends on the grade your buying. OK I like Fenders, G%L is nice I'll say that.

The G&L neck has a different profile, I like the Fender C neck better myself and seems to serve Surf better to me.

Fender did make many improvements on hardware in the 1980's but no one bought them and they almost went out of business, so they went retro after that. But 1980's Strats had really good hardware and locking nut designs that should be made again. I will say that much (Ok the paint jobs Fender hd then where really lame.) But not crazy for G%L either.

Even guitar tone wise you can get totally different designs to sound similar by just turning a few knobs etc.

All the manufactures have a wide range of quality grade which is really associate with price most of the time, but not always.

You can still up grade Fenders and lots of parts out there to do that.

It all comes down to how much you want to spend and what you like. Cool

Goto Page: 1 2 Next