Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Show Announcements »

Permalink Southern Surf StompFest! 9/21/19 Atlanta, GA (flyer added 7/22)

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next

Likewise, Surf Skater!

Surf_Skater wrote:

RobbieReverb wrote:

I'm booked, and will be there. Hoping to twist the arms of some "uninitiated" relatives and friends in the area, as well. Stoked!

Looking forward to meeting you!

Bob

So what's the scoop on where to stay? I see the venue is a bit away from Atlanta proper. Any advice appreciated! Thanks!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Hey Brian, it's a little bit of a drive (meaning less than 30 mins, easy) but The Highland Inn is on the right side of town and nice. That's where the rock 'n roll royalty stay when they come to town :).

The Mystery Men?
El Capitan and The Reluctant Sadists
SSS Agent #31

I'm booked at the Econo Lodge in Decatur, pretty close to the venue.

Bob

If anyone from out of town chooses to stay in any of the downtown Atlanta hotels, the east west Marta train line can take you to the Avondale estates station which is a fairly short walk to Little Tree.

Brian, I usually recommend Highland Inn as Richard suggested or the Super 8 in Decatur, which isn't fancy but is reasonable and very close to the venue.

The Squares - 1995-2002
The Mystery Men? - 2012-
MOONBASE - 2012-2017
The KBK - 2017-2022
The Frigidaires 2021-
Southern Surf Stomp!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019 10:06:46

Flights booked.
Atlanta here I come, can't wait.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Really wish I could make this one, it's a fantastic lineup

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

Nice! Only 5 hours from me! Gonna try to convince the band to head up that way!

needs more ‘verb

Psychedelic Surf-Punk from Outer Space
https://m.facebook.com/actiondougband/

I'm in!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

i'm hoping to be there

www.surfintheeye.com

I bought my plane tickets and reserved a nice Airbnb for the weekend. I'm also bringing two of my old band mates with me from 30 years ago (heavy metal group). They have never seen a surf band so it's going to be interesting what they think. I plan on being at the pre-party as well —

_

Hi, I'm Gellert, guitarist for The Fintastics.

https://www.facebook.com/TheFintastics

Brian wrote:

I'm in!

SWEEEEEET!!!!!

Stoked to see everyone! I love all of the new faces I see every year!

Come on out to the Pre-Party at Trader Vic’s it’s gonna be a blast! We’re talking to them about doing a 75th Anniversary of the Mai Tai special like they did in CA Trader Vic’s. Here’s one of the songs we’ll be playing that night. I always felt like Latinia crossed over into Exotica more than any other Surf Song (Miserlou being one, but not the way DD plays it!).
https://manakooras.bandcamp.com/track/latinia

Jeremy

Every year I post the Southern Surf StompFest Facebook announcement to my Facebook page to encourage my friends and family to go. I don't know if I have converted any of them to surf music fans, but I try with a little write up of the event. Here is my post for this year:

Once again, it is time for me to plug my favorite musical event of the year. I have a passion for instrumental surf music, and the Southern Surf StompFest is the premier event in the southeast. It's a very laid-back scene, funky and free to the public. If you are looking for something different to do, bring a lawn chair and a cooler and check it out. This is the fifth year for the Fest and this year is going to be super special.

Featuring:

The Madeira (Indianapolis, IN) – In the modern surf music era (post-Pulp Fiction), no guitarist has played on more Top 101 surf hits than the Madeira’s Ivan Pongracic, formerly of the Space Cossacks. Surf music is driven by the sound of electric guitar and has a host of virtuoso performers. This year’s StompFest is going to have several of them, but Ivan is the gold standard. Don’t miss this chance to see him.

Surfer Joe (Livorno, Italy) – Despite its Southern California origins, instrumental surf music is popular world-wide, and the largest surf music festival in the world is the Surfer Joe Summer Festival, held yearly in Livorno Italy. The host and founder of this festival is Lorenzo “Surfer Joe” Valdambrini. Surfer Joe is also the name of Lorenzo’s band and this year Lorenzo is bringing his band to Atlanta for the Southern Surf StompFest!

Insect Surfers (celebrating their 40th anniversary! Los Angeles, CA) – The Insect Surfers are the longest running modern surf band. The surf music “craze” started in 1961 and lasted until the Beatles appeared on the Ed Sullivan show, kicking off the “British Invasion” in ‘64. This period is called the First Wave of surf music. Other than some radio play on “oldies” stations, surf was pretty much dead until 1979 when the modern surf era (Second Wave) was kicked off when David Arnson envisioned a new Surf Band that combined elements of psychedelic rock, 60s instrumentals, and punk rock energy. Touring the U.S. extensively, they released several independent LPs and singles that placed as high as #25 on the national college radio charts and solidified them as one of the most unique bands of the late 70s/early 80s East Coast scene. It wasn't unusual to see Insect Surfers play on the same stages as Iggy Pop, The Stranglers, Psychedelic Furs, Joan Jett, Echo and the Bunnymen, Revillos, etc.

Fiend Without A Face (Atlanta, GA feat. Mastodon's Brent Hinds) – To see Brent Hinds, you usually must go a stadium with thousands of other fans of the Metal band, Mastodon. But Brent, who has attended most, if not all, of the past Southern Surf StompFests as an audience member, has a side project that is bit more surf/rockabilly. Here’s your chance to see a metal master perform up close and personal.

The Intoxicators! (Tallahassee, FL) - The Intoxicators! were founded in 2001 and have gone on to become one of the best surf bands in the Southeastern United States. Hailing from Tallahassee, Florida, their music is a raw combination of classic surf, rockabilly, and space surf, with a little bit of intellectual stimuli thrown in at the right moments just to make things interesting!

The Mystery Men? (Atlanta, GA) – This is the StompFest’s host band and a mainstay of the Atlanta surf music community. They are first class musicians and last year they released their fantastic album Firewalkers and performed it in its entirety at last year’s StompFest. It was electrifying and I can’t wait to see what they do this year.

The Surge! (Atlanta, GA) – I’ve seen The Surge! perform more times than any other surf band and they blow me away every time. They play traditional surf classics and their leader, Eddie Katcher, writes original tunes that sound as good as any of the classics. Eddie’s been playing music since the ‘60s and the band takes the classic approach seriously: matching outfits, matching blonde Fender amps and cabinets, Olympic white Fender Jazzmaster guitars, and no vocals, ever!

A couple of other things to mention: The premier website dedicated to surf music is SurfGuitar101.com. It is THE place for all information about surf music and if you read its forums you might be surprised at some of the top-tier international musicians that are posting there. (Think of it like asking a question on a rockabilly website and getting an answer from Elvis Presley.) I mention this because the creator, founder, and webmaster for SurfGuitar101, Brian Neal, will be attending this year’s StompFest. And speaking of SurfGuitar101, the premier U.S.A. Surf Music convention is the annual SurfGuitar101 Convention that is put on by Jeff ‘BigTikiDude’ Hanson who will be the DJ for this year’s StompFest.

Like I said, “This year is going to be super special.”

StompFest will be held at Little Tree Art Studios in Avondale Estates, GA (2834 Franklin St) on Saturday, September 21, starting at noon. It’s FREE and all ages welcome.

Southern Surf Music Q&A:

Q: Do you mean that land-locked Atlanta is a hot-bed for surf music?

A: Yes, indeed. There are several world-class surf bands in and around Atlanta and throughout the southeast. The Mystery Men? (Atlanta, GA - hosts of the Southern Surf StompFest), The Surge! (Lilburn, GA), Man or Astro-Man? (Auburn, AL), Daikaiju (Huntsville, AL), The KBK (Jacksonville, AL), the SurfAces (Gainsville, GA), Crazy Aces (Nashville, TN), the list goes on.

Q: Surf Music? You mean like the Beach Boys?

A: No, not exactly. Hard-core surf music fans mean INSTRUMENTAL music when they say, “surf music” or “surf rock”. They call the Beach Boys “Beach Music,” but there is some crossover, the Beach Boys started in southern California at the same time Dick Dale, the Belairs, the Chantays, and the Surfaris were kicking off the early ‘60s surf music craze. They often shared the same stages and venues during the early days. Credit where credit is due, the Beach Boys certainly raised the public’s awareness of surfing and “surf music” in the eyes of the general public across the U.S.A.

Q: Ok, I’m a little interested in this instrumental surf music. What are some classic surf songs I should hear to get a better understanding of the music?

A: North Sea Surf Radio and SurfGuitar101.com conducted world-wide annual polls between 2013 and 2015, and these are the ten songs that made the Classic Surf top ten every year:

“Pipeline” – The Chantays
“Mar Gaya” – The Fender IV
“Misirlou” – Dick Dale & his Del-Tones
“Latin’ia” – The Sentinels
“Surf Rider” – The Lively Ones
“Malaguena” – The Trashmen
“Mr. Moto” – The Belairs
“Baja” – The Astronauts
“Penetration” – The Pyramids
“Squad Car” – Eddie and the Showmen

Here are a few more that you should check out:

“Wipe Out” – The Surfaris
“Walk Don’t Run”, “Diamond Head”, & “Hawaii Five O”– The Ventures
“Our Favorite Martian” – Bobby Fuller & the Fanatics
“Theme from the Endless Summer” – The Sandals
“K-39” – The Challengers

Q: Why is it called StompFest?

A: The surfer’s stomp was a ‘60s dance and a “stomp” became synonymous with a place where surf music was being played. To cash in on the dance, the word “stomp” started showing up in the titles of songs, the most famous being a national hit, “Surfer’s Stomp” by the Mar-ketts.

For the Atlanta area there is an additional tie-in. One of the major founders of the Atlanta surf music scene was a band out of Tuscaloosa, Alabama, called The Penetrators. They had an elaborate backstory in which they were spies for a secret organization called the Southern Surf Syndicate. Chad Shivers, the founder of the StompFest, started off by promoting monthly surf shows at a coffee shop in Decatur, Georgia, called Kavarna, that he called Southern Surf Stomps as an homage to The Penetrators. The shows are no longer monthly, but Chad still occasionally puts together surf shows around Atlanta, Athens, and Chattanooga.

-Tim
MyYouTubeChannel
My Classic Instrumental Surf Music Timeline
SSS Agent #777

See you there Tim.

Thumbs Up I'm looking forward to it, Mike! We can track down all of the visiting members of our SG101 family together.

-Tim
MyYouTubeChannel
My Classic Instrumental Surf Music Timeline
SSS Agent #777

See you all soon!

Jeff(bigtikidude)

bigtikidude wrote:

See you all soon!

Stoked!

I am SO bummed I cannot make this, AGAIN!
This looks to be the best year yet.

Have a great time everyone and please share photos/video if you would.

Cheers,
Jeff

http://www.facebook.com/CrazyAcesMusic
http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyacesrock
http://www.reverbnation.com/crazyacesmusic

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next