Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Help me pick. 1964 Showman or a Vibro King?

Page 1 of 1

I might be able to trade my Deluxe Reverb Reissue for either a Vibro King or a Showman from 1964.
Why do many say the VK is no good for surf?
Also... I really like my DRRI, partly because of the sag and so I wonder: is a tube rectifier not ideal or even attractive for surf musicians? I know the showman is the king of surf amps for many, but I'm afraid the solid state rectifier will take away something I like. It might just be that I know it's not a tube and it bothers me. That would be stupid.
Any thoughts? Tube rectifier = not surf music?

In the beginning was reverb

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj--qQ5WXp7SWDWcJJOjoow?sub_confirmation=1

I think it's a distinction no one can actually hear and you shouldn't let it worry you one bit.

I think surf music is surf music, whatever gear it's played on. Just play surf music and the rest will take care of itself!

They're both great amps. You can't go wrong with either one. I agree with Redfeather that surf music is surf music, no matter what gear it is played on. There is no right or wrong here. If you can demo these amps, I urge you to plug in and play them. Your ears are your best guide, for what is best for you.

The Showman, having a ton of clean headroom, is the king of surf amps, and sounds absolutely awesome, especially when cranked-up. That said, it is overkill for most applications. If you're playing clubs, you probably won't be able to crank it to the Sweet spot. The Vibro King sounds more like your DRRI, and has a fair amount of sag. It's not Showman loud, but it is loud. I think where it loses a lot of love with the surf crowd, is that, despite having dwell, mix and tone controls, the on-board reverb is lacking compared to a tank. The extreme drip is not there. That said, to my ears, the Vibro King is a seriously great sounding amp, particularly if you like sag and a little crunch.

Bob

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019 17:17:53

depend what you play ,but a showman a 4 in volume is real loud ,need to have place to be played ,with my bandmaster head i play at 4 to 5 in rehearsale depend on the cab i plug (if it was a low effiencie cab )
the vibro king is 60 watt amp i think relatively wess loud normally then you will use it more in tha good range ,not at the beguin of the volume
the bad for the 2 i think is the weight !,a showman weight a lot and need a cab too (who weight a lot too)and wit a little car it is funny to bring it
the vibroking is much easyer to carry do the one thing object but 72 lb !not something light you are in the twin range (i love twin but to have play some it is silly to have 100 or 85 w and using it at 3 of volume cause it is real loud past this
i know a guy who play twin loud ,Oleg from messer chups ,but last time i saw them i have my ear left beguin to shhhhhhh ! ,to much loud for my tastes

then pass from 22 w to 100 w is a big jump ,i prefer to use my amp with volume more open 4 to 5 than 2 to 3 like on bigger to much powerfull amp

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019 07:10:44

Thank you all for the answers!
Right now I actually love my Deluxe Reverb Reissue, specially after I bought an attenuator and plugged the onboard reverb into the normal channel (now it actually drips a lot!).
But... If I sell it I have the chance to buy a 1964 (single) Showman OR a 1975-'76 Deluxe Reverb. I mean, I don't know what to do and I'm sucker for vintage. I have like three people involved in all this: a buyer and two sellers for the above mentioned vintage amps. They both want 1000 dollars and that's what I would get by selling mine.

Ahh, the stress! xD

In the beginning was reverb

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj--qQ5WXp7SWDWcJJOjoow?sub_confirmation=1

Well, I guess it really depends on what overall tone you're shooting for.
I had a VK and while it was a great amp I prefer other for Surf. Also the onboard reverb is not the same as an external tank. That said, I could certainly make it work if that's what I had to work with.

If you're going for the old school Surf Showman tone, then it's really hard to find anything else that'll replicate that rig imho. Thing is a Showman is way too loud for most of the local venues in my neck of the woods.

METEOR IV on reverbnation

If you are already using an attenuator, then the volume shouldn't be an issue (if your attentuator can be used with a Showman). You are talking about a Blackface Showman so it's not exactly the same as the Surf era Brownface Showman (which are rare even in the US).
My bandmate in a previous band had a Vibro King, and our amp tech was able to modify the reverb unit to sound much closer to the outboard reverb unit. However, I still don't think that the 3x10" speaker configuration is the right sound for surf.
Also for the life of me, I can't understand people that prefer heavy, bulky, combo amps, over much-easier-to-carry head and cab setups.
My advice, out of these two options - Showman.
Most important - try both yourself. If you had a chance to listen to them in a band context that would be ideal, but I doubt that opportunity would be easy to come by.

Good luck,
Ran

The Scimitars

Showman. It's 'the' sound, and 'the' look. And a better investment.

Page 1 of 1