Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink The Surfy Bear Fet Reverb

Goto Page: Previous 1 2120 121 122 123 124135 136 Next

Elrondo wrote:

I think i have an easy and proper solution for a housing wich easily shakes the springs.
Make the bottom of the housing not flat.
Make it with an angle in the horizontal mid.
So you can easily rock it over the angle.

Sorry i can't explain it better in english.
If you like i can make a little drawing.

No worries, you might be on to something!
I think i understand,
but not sure if you mean the mid in the "x axis" or "y axis" I'll definitely take a drawing Smile

Alrighty fellows, looking for some feedback on my proposed build. I'm looking to make a big all in one pedal, so was looking at large housings and found the Hammond 1441-20 (http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf/1441-20.pdf) which is I think meant as an amp chassis but should be perfect to fit this reverb tank:
https://www.tonefactory.nl/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/650x650/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/r/v/rv-9ab3e.jpg

The case is 17" long, 4" wide and 3" high. I think I'll put the circuit board upright on the side so I can use the full width of the case to hang the tank. I'll drill long screws on the end which should be long enough to hang the springs for the tank on.

This is a three spring tank, how much difference does that make? I haven't been able to find the 2 spring version of this naked tank type yet.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019 03:14:35

Is it only my surfybear that tends to sound too harsh and ice-picky? I've built it with the kit into a metal tool box; I've tried it with an ultralinear super reverb and deluxe reverb reissue. Both sounded too trebly when I tried to make it drip more, specially at higher volumes. Is it supposed to do that or is something wrong?

In the beginning was reverb

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj--qQ5WXp7SWDWcJJOjoow?sub_confirmation=1

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019 06:58:57

@Doc Helliday
sorry i only have my mobile phone right now.
So the drawing is very rough.
Here we go. You can create your housing so the botton has an angle or just lay a strap of wood under it. This will work X or Y axis.
Back to forth or left to right.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019 05:46:24

Reatavlos_88 wrote:

Is it only my surfybear that tends to sound too harsh and ice-picky?

Have you tried adjusting the gain trim pot? My Surfy Bear build sounded too clean/sterile compared to my tube reverb unit at first, but tweaking the trim pot did the trick.

Of course it's alive, you cannot make music with dead Muppahones! -- Marvin Suggs

Roy69 wrote:

Reatavlos_88 wrote:

Have you tried adjusting the gain trim pot? My Surfy Bear build sounded too clean/sterile compared to my tube reverb unit at first, but tweaking the trim pot did the trick.

I have and it got better. I put som tape on the grill cloth to kill the highs a little and it's definitely better. I also used a different guitar with lipstick pickups and it's better.

In the beginning was reverb

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj--qQ5WXp7SWDWcJJOjoow?sub_confirmation=1

Reatavlos_88 wrote:

Roy69 wrote:

Reatavlos_88 wrote:

I have and it got better. I put som tape on the grill cloth to kill the highs a little and it's definitely better. I also used a different guitar with lipstick pickups and it's better.

Yes many things affects the tone. Also the Accutronic pan is brighter than MOD and TAD.

I finally got one! I kind of cheated and WON it at the Hi-Tide Summer Holiday raffle!

Matt Heaton & the Electric Heaters
"Dick Dale meets Dennis Lehane"
http://www.heatonsurf.com

My first post. We'll see if this works. I just built a Surfy Bear. Super cool sound! I'm in my first year of guitar, but what I notice is that if you use just a dirt pedal (Tone City Sweet Cream in my case), the Surfy Bear, and a Fender amp on clean channel (Super Champ X2 in my case), there seems to be a great - what I think they call Pick Attack. Hit a note and it just barks... plus it has that awesome old school Fender reverb tank sound. Pictures:

@84GTIRookie Very cool build. Grimey in the best way. Cool

matt wrote:

I finally got one! I kind of cheated and WON it at the Hi-Tide Summer Holiday raffle!

Congratulations, Matt! That is a really nice score.

Hi 84GTIRookie, Welcome to SG101! That is wonderful looking "reliced" build. Thanks for sharing. The Super Champ X2 is a great amp to use with a Surfy Bear. Enjoy your new surf sound.

-Tim
MyYouTubeChannel
My Classic Instrumental Surf Music Timeline
SSS Agent #777

Silverflash, you raise good issue. has the "relic'ing" craze hit effects and amps yet? hmmmmm....

Matt Heaton & the Electric Heaters
"Dick Dale meets Dennis Lehane"
http://www.heatonsurf.com

Hi folks.

I am wondering if any members might be able to help with this issue.

I am building a kit for a friend, and this is my third surfy bear DIY build. I finished today but I have a problem in that the signal coming out is only about 25% of the volume it should be. This effects both wet and dry and when the mixer is turned full to the dry side the volume is very low.

I have checked all the wiring and have redone joints.

I initially did make an error in wiring up the input and output jacks the wrong way. I found this out when I plugged into my amp and it produced a loud hum. However I didn’t have the reverb unit powered up at the time. I then re-soldered the jacks and then tried the unit. Im not sure this would have damaged the board? Maybe so.

Thanks for any ideas I can try or consider.

Hi Glen_D
I think you mailed me about this some time ago.
Did you get my reply?
Regards
/Björn

Glen_D wrote:

Hi folks.

I am wondering if any members might be able to help with this issue.

I am building a kit for a friend, and this is my third surfy bear DIY build. I finished today but I have a problem in that the signal coming out is only about 25% of the volume it should be. This effects both wet and dry and when the mixer is turned full to the dry side the volume is very low.

I have checked all the wiring and have redone joints.

I initially did make an error in wiring up the input and output jacks the wrong way. I found this out when I plugged into my amp and it produced a loud hum. However I didn’t have the reverb unit powered up at the time. I then re-soldered the jacks and then tried the unit. Im not sure this would have damaged the board? Maybe so.

Thanks for any ideas I can try or consider.

I maxed out the gain trim pot on my surfybear built. I didn't realize the kit was calibrated and would like to set it back to normal. Is there a way to do this easily (multimeter?)? I was hoping to just try to centre it but I think the trim pot just keeps spinning and spinning (?).
Thanks!

-Pierre
The Obsidians! (Ottawa surf)
The Obsidians debut EP

Email Surfybear they will help. In the short term try doing by ear. Dial gain back 1/2 way, try DRY sound then VERB sound and see how close you are. If the gain is too low, turn up by 1/4 turns, etc - you're trying to balance DRY to WET should get you pretty close. Vintage reverb units with reverb on were always just a bit below unity.

derekirving wrote:

Email Surfybear they will help. In the short term try doing by ear. Dial gain back 1/2 way, try DRY sound then VERB sound and see how close you are. If the gain is too low, turn up by 1/4 turns, etc - you're trying to balance DRY to WET should get you pretty close. Vintage reverb units with reverb on were always just a bit below unity.

Yes, I was just about to give the same advice Smile
Just, be careful with that little trimmer!
/Björn

Great! Will give that a shot! Thanks!

-Pierre
The Obsidians debut EP

I'm getting a high pitched feedback sound from my reverb when I play really loudly. I'm positive it's the reverb as it happens even if my guitar is off! Sometimes I jam and it sounds normal other times it makes the feedback sound.

I read about it and I think it might be because I mounted my tank directly on my pedal board. Should I be padding it? Or screwing it in really tight? Right now it is just lying flat on the pedalboard with zip-ties. Any tips? I really like having it on my pedalboard.

I tried my tube-reverb and I think I like the sound of my surfy bear better! I have the trip pot just a little higher than it shipped with and it sounds amazing.

-Pierre
The Obsidians debut EP

Pierre, the transducers inside the reverb pan can pick up electromagnetic interference from the surroundings in the same way as guitar pickups.
Have you tried to move the pan away from the power supply of the pedal board?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2120 121 122 123 124135 136 Next