Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink Gibson crushes hundreds of Firebird X guitars

Page 1 of 1

Fun!

Crush authentic!

As a music educator, I was very saddened that Gibson did not think to donate these guitars to a local "Camp Jam" or other music school(s). I know of MANY needy families that would LOVE their kids to learn music but cannot afford a decent instrument to get them started....From Gibson's POV, this COULD have been a stellar PR move if they had done something like that.
Crushing the guitars to "get them off the books" (from an Accounting POV), could just as easily been a "charitable" line-item on their balance sheets too....VERY DUMB GIBSON !!!!!

Can I have everything louder than everything else!

https://thesurfaces1.bandcamp.com/releases

And you wonder why corporations lose money None

Goes to show how over bought the guitar market might be,

Why didn't they donate them, could have been a tax write off I would think/

I guess Gibson went down the tubes because of the guitar

Last edited: Aug 02, 2019 07:47:41

There's an explanation here:
https://www.guitarworld.com/news/a-video-showing-hundreds-of-firebird-x-guitars-being-destroyed-popped-up-online-and-now-gibson-has-explained-its-origins

Ha. That explanation is complete bullshit. Damaged and with unsafe components? Lying bastards. Next thing you know they'll be telling us they're going to drain the swamp.

Seems like a reasonable explanation to me. Windows 98? Bluetooth? Ha.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Redfeather wrote:

Ha. That explanation is complete bullshit. Damaged and with unsafe components? Lying bastards. Next thing you know they'll be telling us they're going to drain the swamp.

You got it.....They could have just replaced the electronics,

Looks like they deleted the video already on the first post, Did they take it down already?

Probably they looked so bad to the investors it effected the financial streams etc … 1 million dollars worth of guitars ran over and destroyed Kids in high schools could have used all these guitars etc.

They should have donated a few to SG101 for a raffle or something,

Last edited: Aug 02, 2019 13:49:01

Maybe Gibson had an ulterior motive? Now these guitars will be rare and collectible? In any event, common sense and corporate America don't usually go hand in hand. Oh well. WTF?

"Here's to the man who drinks dark ale and goes to bed quite mellow. He lives as he ought to live and dies a jolly good fellow"

The cracking sound was cool...

Daniel Deathtide

Pretty damn dumb thing to do. There's time and materials in those instruments - even of they do suck. Some kid in some inner city could have gotten his or her start on one of them.
The whole thing reminds me of the USeless Government destroying elephant tusks a few years back to "send a message" about endangered species, poaching elephants for ivory... blah, blah, blah. It was suppose to make us feel good about the planet or something.
Point is - the elephants are DEAD - however they became dead! Jesus, we "repurpose" our bodies by donating organs, our remains to science, etc. Says so on the DMV license renewals in my state.
Ever have to get a tooth implant and have to get some bone marrow set in your jaw first? Where does that bone marrow come from - Cadavers!! - as in repurposed dead humans.
So what does Gibson do? Make more garbage from the garbage they already produced. I have several Gibsons from decades back.. don't see myself getting another anytime soon.
Just one stupid-ass company with typical brain-dead management that can't seem to look past next Tuesday.

But what do I know?
That was cathartic
J Mo'

That's why big corporations go out of business Johnny M

Having worked for a few, I saw just as much destruction and stupidity as this case. It really comes down to greed in a way, either it starts with a pie in the sky economics where unbelievable profits might be realized or ends with it trying to control prices or keep them up by limiting supply etc.

The irony of this case is it looks like the company is privately own by three big investors one of which was the company CEO who stepped down during the Chapter 11 bankruptcy. So that may explain the whole thing.

Redfeather wrote:

Well, I didn't say it was a good explanation! Big Grin

I've always been underwhelmed by Gibson electric guitars, and the modern ones I've seen were very disappointing. As a company they've long since lost their way, I think.

I guess it's easier to crush them with a bulldozer than to set them up properly!

http://thewaterboarders.bandcamp.com/

Anybody remember the 2010 press conference for the unveiling of the Firebird X, during which Henry Juszkiewicz announced "the dawn of a revolutionary new era in musical instruments" by smashing an SG against a cinderblock?
Oh, the irony...

Old punks never die... They just become surf rockers.

Last edited: Nov 06, 2019 17:36:48

To tell you the truth I'd rather have that SG he smashed, I guess Pete Townshend took care of the rest. lol

I think its funny Gibson choose the Firebird as a model for the new X design being it was the absolute worst guitar they ever made. They look nice hanging on the wall though.

Well I guess Gibson is back in form, they tore out the whole plant and redesigned the production floor, back making guitars like the good ole days. Wish them luck.

Page 1 of 1