Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Finally Got A Good Acoustic

Page 1 of 1

Gently used 2016 Gibson J-29, my first high end acoustic. Have always wanted a good acoustic but really preferred the shorter Gibson 24.75" or Martin 000 24.9" scale but these are not so common, especially given I wanted something really good but had budget restrictions. Had to trade my really nice Sonic Blue Fender Classic Player Tele but was given a very fair trade-in for it (this was no GC or Ash deal).

Last edited: Jul 09, 2019 16:37:23

So here are the details/spec's: 2016 Gibson Montana J-29 These were produced from 2014 to 2016 and dc'ed in 2017. Sitka Spruce Top, Solid Rosewood back, sides, and fingerboard, Mahogany neck w/ medium chunky very mild V profile, 12" finger board radius, 1.725" Tusc Nut and Tusc saddle; 24.75" scale Gibson 1930's Advanced X-Braced Top Gloss Nitrocellulose finish; Grover tuners L.R. Baggs Element electronics

Last edited: Jul 09, 2019 16:49:33

Apparently, the 2016's were the best year for these as they were Plek'ed and the finger board edges rolled. I don't know if the previous owner had the guitar set-up or it came from the factory this way, but the guitar was very well set-up and plays great....it's also an absolute cannon soundwise. IMO, when Gibson gets it wrong, they really get it wrong but when they get it right they really get it right....and with this one, they really got it right.
Nicely grained Sitka Spruce top and tort guard.

Last edited: Jul 09, 2019 16:46:17

Beautiful lines. Congratulations. Smile

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Thank you. The J-29 isn't real blingy w/ fancy binding or inlays but the rosewood back and sides are beautifully figured and I always preferred the graceful lines of a sloped shoulder dread. The slope shouldered, shorter scale J-29 also fits my small self better. Not exactly a surf guitar....but sometimes it's nice to just grab a guitar and start strumming without having to plug in and dick around with pedals, etc. I will say, playing acoustic has made me expand my chord vocabulary (which was pretty pathetic) and clean up my technique in general. And even though this Gibson plays like a dream (action on low E @ 12th fret is 6/64ths and high E 4/64ths with a very straight neck and minimal relief strung with D'Addario Phosphor Bronze 12-53's) when I play my electrics now it feels like I barely have to touch the strings to cleanly fret notes. Of course, once this acoustic GAS starts wearing off, I'm sure I'll be GASSING for my next electric (I'm actually starting to feel a Jaguar coming on as I write this).

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019 22:00:55

Bling isn't everything and imo only worth anything if the rest is already right. I love the more rounded shoulders of this style, and other "parlor" guitars I guess you'd call them.

Besides, a good-sounding well-balanced acoustic is really great for folks gathered around while you play "name that tune" lol.
Cool

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Page 1 of 1