Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Videos »

Permalink Black Valley Moon (Screeching Weasel cover)

Page 1 of 1

One of our slightly less surfy sounding tunes. We bounce around, a bit. But anyway.. it'll be on the upcoming full-length on Sharawaji

Guitarist for Black Valley Moon & Down By Law

Hahaha their only kinda surf song! Love it! I always felt a surf band could play that song better. I aways hated their guitar tone. Always. That Mass Giorgini fellow really loves the trebly no-bass mixes! Love the music but that tone always got to me, and how the bass has zero bass freqs in it. Just the kick has bass! Ever notice this? Of course all my listening has been from vinyl so maybe the CDs sound better? That’d be a first ha!

I’ve got a part in a song about my recently deceased cat that I call the “apologies to Screeching Weasel part” that is right out of the Screeching Weasel “leadbook.” Nice!!

Daniel Deathtide

I just saw The Queers and they played Squid Omelet and again I was struck at how much better a real surf guitar woulda sounded like...

Daniel Deathtide

Nice! DeathTide, I used to play in the Queers, and my current band does Squid Omelet from time to time... You're right!

Holy CRAP that’s awesome! When did you play with them? I saw em a bunch when I lived in the Boston area in the late 90s. Never saw Riverdales or SW tho-

Daniel Deathtide

Mid 90's, during the Move Back Home and Don't Back Down period when they were still on Lookout Records.

Dude I think I totally saw you! Damn! I was there from 1997 - 2003, each time was at T. T.'s. COOL!

By the way - your handle has haunted me since I first saw it, since I only recently got serious about my own tone search. (It's like it will never end!)

I gotta say, seeing Joe playing a strat out of a Marshall just felt - and sounded - very bad to me. Not my cup of sonic tea when it comes to guitar tones... But I've always loved that band. Someone on Discogs has a super old 7" with Wimpy for sale and they want like $6000!

Daniel Deathtide

Hey, Tonechaser. I wasn't going to shows during those years but I do own both of those albums. I have seen The Queers a few times over the years starting from late 1998.

I always liked the punk instrumentals, especially Talk To Me Summer and Squid Omelette. I also like all the pop punk albums I've got that were produced by Mass.

Here's another one from a lesser known band, The Riptides. I have this 7" but didn't keep up with them. Not sure if they kept up with the instrumentals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Yo5aQ1_vZU

The Mystery Men?
El Capitan and The Reluctant Sadists
SSS Agent #31

more on

Black Valley Moon - Central Florida - Page 21
World Surf Bands - Home page - Video Links threads
https://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/31764/?page=21

DT, I was over it by the end of 1996. Fun gig that took me around the world playing guitar but not so much my bag musically.

The biggest issue with Joe's tone back then was super high output bridge pickup(Duncan Invader) through a Marshall JCM800 with the gain cranked. Total sizzle.

And Richard! So you saw the band in it's earliest of formations. JJ Rasler on guitar along with Joe, great stuff! And yes, the Riptides! Love them, and the Mystery Men!

My other band, Down By Law, played a few shows with the queers in the mid 90s. I wonder if you were in, then? I remember one gig was in a small record/bookstore. It was packed. Our drummer, hunter, went on to play with them for a short time right around the time you are speaking, as well.

Guitarist for Black Valley Moon & Down By Law

Page 1 of 1