Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
251 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
251 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
171 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink String Gauges Poll

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 215 16 17 18 19 Next

Man, I am bummed. I fee finally ready to jump up to .14s but DR doesn't make Zebras that thick. It feels like an impasse since other round wound strings are too dang bright for me.

Maybe I can throw together a set for the higher strings and then just sub out a .58 from somewhere. Or use the .56 that comes on their 13s...

Daniel Deathtide

Whats everyones take in stringjoy?

Post deleted by author.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020 15:41:32

Hey man, thanks for asking. Zig is doing pretty good, he just has a runny nose due to his turbinate bones being destroyed by the radiation. I also got a new girl cat, Miss Li, about 2 1/2 and she’s a barrel of cuteness. She’s a calico / tortie.

I’ve been taking classical guitar lessons for the past six weeks and the teacher immediately pointed out that I was using too much pressure. Then all kinda of other stuff I was doing either wrong or badly. He told me I should string up a practice guitar with 10s and learn to play with them. Then, when I want the “mightier” tone, play heavier strings by very carefully applying additional pressure. That would also be good to compare the tones. But man, I really prefer the sound fat strings. (At least through these old Fenders!)

I have not tried 10s yet, but I immediately started playing lighter on the 13s, which conserved strength and increased “focus” of those fingers. I’m not sure how to describe that, but in deliberately relaxing my non-playing fingers and only using minimum pressure, I could play better with less effort.

But I still want fatter strings!

Daniel Deathtide

Post deleted by author.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020 15:41:13

Hey thanks! Still dialing in the guitar tone there. I’m dying for better recordings, but not until I’m happy with the tone. It’s not even the tone, it’s the tone as it affects the drips! Rolling off too many highs kills the drips!

Anyhow yeah, I really like the tension of fat strings, I love it. I do agree with my teacher that it would be wonderful for me to be able to play 10s.

Daniel Deathtide

ive been getting into vintage style round core pure nickel style strings. Fatter tone but less tension

I use .010-.038 on all my guitars...this works best for chikin'pikin', which is what I play on gigs, along with pedal steel. While I love surf, there are no surf bands in my area (Tampa Bay) the music scene here knows 1 kind of music...southern rock.

Years ago I was down to 9s on a few guitars cos light strings were all the rage if you wanted to shred.

Well, I never really wanted to shred and found that 10s were ideal in terms of rhythm work (voicing, balance) and occasional leads.

When I got more fully into surf I thought 10s would be fine as long as the amp and reverb were good but in experimenting with 11s there is no contest - the heavier string is clearly better, different and more surf-y.

I honestly can't ever see using 12s or above (or flatwounds) even though they are probably even more authentic/accurate.

I guess I've used 11s on surf guitars but 10 on others for so long now that I tend not to notice the difference in fingering, tension, bending, etc. - it's just the way it is.

I just watched the ZZ Top documentary - which was mostly excellent. The received wisdom is that Billy Gibbons uses incredibly light strings - many articles and quotes say he's using 7s - but gets that massive tone with no small amount of help from fingers, guitars, pickups and amps (and, um, other technology).

I also note that Ernie Ball are now offering even more varieties such as 9.5 and 10.5.

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/namm-2020-ernie-ball-adds-8-new-string-sets-including-mighty-and-hyper-slinkys

For those of you that say they are using 11s, what is your low E string gauge? I'm currently using Ernie Ball Power Slinky on my Strat, which are .011, .014, .018p, .028, .038, .048.

I sometimes feel like I'd like a little more tension on the low E especially, so might move to Burly Slinky, which is .011, .014, .018p, .030, .042, .052

Skiltrip wrote:

For those of you that say they are using 11s, what is your low E string gauge?

I've mostly settled on 11-49 for 25.5" scale and 11-52 for shorter scales.

If I'd stop buying old guitars to fix, I might actually learn to play.
Bringing instruments back to life since 2013.

I see quite a few recommendations for DR Pure Blues i.e. a soft round core string, in my case for a run of the mill guitar. I wouldn't trying them out one day but at the moment I'd prefer something cheaper, robot rather than fancy hand made with a price tag to match. cheers!

Life can be dire when google is your only friend:) Or perhaps I should have taken note of thread title or book a visit specs savers.

In any case I spotted these British strings called Legacy and it occurred to me that never use strings from my home country.

Had a arm injury for the last couple of years which has restricted playing so I'm going build up my strength from 9-42 gauge.. Strings are a little like vocal cords imho, you want to sound like Lee Marvin "I was born under a wandering star" then buy thick stings, thin strings for a younger sound. Is that a fair analogy? Shall I google it:)

I just moved from a standard set to a sort of custom set trying different ones from different Slinky sets.

Settled on..

12, 14, 18p, 30, 42, 52

I tried a 16 and 24w on the B and E, but both did not bend like I wanted them to. So I moved back to the 14 and 18p. Might try a 15 and 20p, but for now, this custom set is working great. I love the extra tension on the lows, and the 12 is just better for tremolo picking than the 11 was. Tiny size difference, but the string is just more resilient and less floppy when picking fast.

Going forward I'll have to get a set of Burly Slinky and grab and extra single 12 for the high E.

I can make my Strat with 9s sounds just like my Jaguar with flatwound 12s.
It's 99.9 percent of the trad surf sound is a big Fender amp and a outboard Reverb tank.

That said, I could probably double pick easier(more sloppy) with heavier strings

"as he stepped into the stealthy night air... little did he know the fire escape was not there"

https://www.facebook.com/reluctantaquanauts/
https://www.facebook.com/TheDragstripVipers/

Last edited: May 05, 2020 18:30:24

13s

-

Last edited: Nov 11, 2022 12:10:33

BillAqua wrote:

It's 99.9 percent of the trad surf sound is a big Fender amp and a outboard Reverb tank.

That’s quite a claim and I disagree completely! With a clean tone I find it pretty easy to hear whether the strings are thick or thin. 10s sometimes throw me, but I can even tell when someone has partial heavy and partial light strings. Something about the decay, it’s “gutsier,” and the attack also has a different tone. There is also the factor of “string bend” while fretting (I don’t know what else to call it) that is mightily different with thick strings. When you pluck a thick string, it goes sharp less than thin strings, and I can hear that. And also a dead giveaway is crazy string bending.

Also I read on this site that in the 60s there were no thin strings...

Daniel Deathtide

DeathTide wrote:

BillAqua wrote:

That’s quite a claim and I disagree completely! With a clean tone I find it pretty easy to hear whether the strings are thick or thin. 10s sometimes throw me, but I can even tell when someone has partial heavy and partial light strings. Something about the decay, it’s “gutsier,” and the attack also has a different tone. There is also the factor of “string bend” while fretting (I don’t know what else to call it) that is mightily different with thick strings. When you pluck a thick string, it goes sharp less than thin strings, and I can hear that. And also a dead giveaway is crazy string bending.

Well first off I said I can make my Strat with 9s sound like my Jaguar with Flatwound 12s. For surf music. The only thing I used in the Aquanauts was a Jaguar with 12s. I know that sound and I can totally nail it with the Strat with 10s. Changing the tone knobs on the guitar and bass/treble setting on the Bandmaster would do it. I hate to belittle all the tone searching we do as surf guitarists but the reverb tank makes up 99.9 percent of that. I could probably mic my Princeton reissue in a studio and make it sound just like my vintage Bandmaster as long as the outboard reverb tank was a part of the tone chain along with a single coil pickup Fender guitar.

I think about a man who used to post here. Kyle of the Verbtones(is he still here?). I was shocked to find out he was using 9s on a Jaguar when I was using 12s and he had just as traditional sound as I did.

Unfortunately I have to disagree with your comment about hearing the difference between thin and thick strings. I don't think I've ever listened to a record and went, "wow! thick strings on that guitar!" Maybe with crazy string bending as you noted, but many many guitarists will tune down heavier strings and bend them like crazy so again, hearing that on a recording I couldn't make a string gauge judgement.

It reminds me of the argument I see at the gearpage that rosewood fretboard necks have a different tone from maple.

Lastly, thin strings existed in the 60s. James Burton created a thin set by swapping all this strings down one step and then affixing a banjo string on for the high e. This would have been early 60s.

Mike Bloomfield did something similar as to this was a common practice in the Chicago blues scene. Especially in the "West Side" sound of the mid 60s. Also Nokie Edwards was known to use lighter strings in the mid 60s as well.

By late 60s it's documented Hendrix had 10s.

Deathtide, I hadn't heard of your band till now. I listened to some clips on Facebook. Sounds great man! I totally dig a surf band with 1 guitar player.

"as he stepped into the stealthy night air... little did he know the fire escape was not there"

https://www.facebook.com/reluctantaquanauts/
https://www.facebook.com/TheDragstripVipers/

Last edited: May 06, 2020 09:56:42

Heh, thanks for the thoughtful reply! Can we agree to disagree? I work with my ears (tv sound guy) and am often told that I’m imagining things, and then it turns out I wasn’t. (One time it was a bathroom fan several rooms away from the set that no one in the entire crew heard!) I absolutely have listened to a track and said internally “Those strings sound thin!” or “This would be incredible with thicker strings.” Along with many other bizarrely tangential thoughts. But I respect those who play with thin strings, especially if they don’t sound like thin strings haha! They feel like spaghetti to me and I lose all ability to play anything, which of course cruelly displays my lack of skill.

And hey thanks for the comments! I can’t wait to update those songs, the new stuff is super exciting to me. There’s a lot of dark and dramatic crap. A couple inspired by Ziggy, the cool cat that died last June.

BillAqua wrote:

DeathTide wrote:

BillAqua wrote:

Well first off I said I can make my Strat with 9s sound like my Jaguar with Flatwound 12s. For surf music. The only thing I used in the Aquanauts was a Jaguar with 12s. I know that sound and I can totally nail it with the Strat with 10s. Changing the tone knobs on the guitar and bass/treble setting on the Bandmaster would do it. I hate to belittle all the tone searching we do as surf guitarists but the reverb tank makes up 99.9 percent of that. I could probably mic my Princeton reissue in a studio and make it sound just like my vintage Bandmaster as long as the outboard reverb tank was a part of the tone chain along with a single coil pickup Fender guitar.

I think about a man who used to post here. Kyle of the Verbtones(is he still here?). I was shocked to find out he was using 9s on a Jaguar when I was using 12s and he had just as traditional sound as I did.

Unfortunately I have to disagree with your comment about hearing the difference between thin and thick strings. I don't think I've ever listened to a record and went, "wow! thick strings on that guitar!" Maybe with crazy string bending as you noted, but many many guitarists will tune down heavier strings and bend them like crazy so again, hearing that on a recording I couldn't make a string gauge judgement.

It reminds me of the argument I see at the gearpage that rosewood fretboard necks have a different tone from maple.

Lastly, thin strings existed in the 60s. James Burton created a thin set by swapping all this strings down one step and then affixing a banjo string on for the high e. This would have been early 60s.

Mike Bloomfield did something similar as to this was a common practice in the Chicago blues scene. Especially in the "West Side" sound of the mid 60s. Also Nokie Edwards was known to use lighter strings in the mid 60s as well.

By late 60s it's documented Hendrix had 10s.

Deathtide, I hadn't heard of your band till now. I listened to some clips on Facebook. Sounds great man! I totally dig a surf band with 1 guitar player.

Daniel Deathtide

Goto Page: Previous 1 215 16 17 18 19 Next