Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink new band exposure question

Page 1 of 1

hello i was wondering when you start up a new band is it ok to piggyback other bands in the area your wanting to book. meaning, contact the other bands and ask to open for them or exchange info of venues they have played at?

Absolutely.

Cool deal, ill work on doing that

Check the show announcements here to see what venues hire surf music bands. It would be helpful to include your location, city and state in your profile so others in your area can help you.

Happy Sunsets!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019 10:54:32

best to do in person, they'll appreciate your support.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Might be better to contact the club owner first - they know everybody in town anyway and bands that play there etc.

Multi-band shows are becoming popular now. I saw one that had 4 bands on a Saturday, the only problem was the closing band was from out of town and came on last so most people left during their set. The bass player was from that town and had like 30 friends and family hang out to the end, but most cut out around 11:00 PM.

So if your from out of town its always better to open for sure.

Don't be afraid to do free gigs starting out either, that's a good way to start, bad to end up though.

Surfing_Sam_61 wrote:

Might be better to contact the club owner first - they know everybody in town anyway and bands that play there etc.

Multi-band shows are becoming popular now. I saw one that had 4 bands on a Saturday, the only problem was the closing band was from out of town and came on last so most people left during their set. The bass player was from that town and had like 30 friends and family hang out to the end, but most cut out around 11:00 PM.

Don't be afraid to do free gigs starting out either, that's a good way to start, bad to end up though.

Oh weve got a freebie comin up in October opening for a big wig
Cant say much till the date gets closer (dont wanna spoil the surprise) lets just say dey Bananas lol

Surfing_Sam_61 wrote:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019 12:37:38

Hooking up with a rockabilly band or a different genre can work pretty well. That way you're not directly competing with the band you're approaching and can bring in a different crowd to complement those turning up already.

We used to do multi band shows, and the 'headliner' often wasn't the band that played last, but the band that got to choose the best time slot. We would advise some bands that playing at midnight or 1am (ie last) often has less audience, but they get to choose. Some bands listened, some bands insisted they were headliners and insisted on playing last, to very few people indeed.

For me, the headline acts gets to choose when to play. If they've come a long way they often appreciate playing a bit early so they can get home at a reasonable time!

Best to let the audience know though - I once turned up at 9.30pm to see the Ramonas, was charged full price and walked in to hear the echoes of their last song. And they were the last band! Not impresssed.

http://thewaterboarders.bandcamp.com/

^ Yeah that's a good idea having the top band play before 11 pm etc ...I've seen that too, and every hour after that is tiresome for the audience it seems like (at least for me, I'm dead by then)

Sounds like your opening for some real animals Shadownight5150, that's great to be able to do that, seems like a good plan, bring along some banana's to feed them with Smile

I've seen where some local shows team up with a solo singer song writer to open with, could try that down the road if you can headline a gig for a multi-band type day.

But that's great you got a gig like that.

Page 1 of 1