Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Attempted Surfybear Reverb build

Page 1 of 1

Well, that was a total waste of money and time. I tried to put one in an old suitcase, with the board mounted to a bent piece of aluminum. It looked fantastic. It worked for a little while, then I found myself constantly resoldering things, to the point where it completely stopped working. I am pretty sure I wrecked the board. Can I buy a premade system without the power supply and MOD tank? I am not interested in doing this again.

I admire these people who can build things and have them turn out! Some of them look pretty nice!

Well that's too bad. I'm sure people would help ya here with a build. Do you have any pics of the board? What was giving you problems so that you had to start pulling things apart?

It came apart all by itself. I really don't think pics will help but thanks anyways. Now I have a mod tank that needs a prebuilt box of some sort to run it. I have given up.

Well without pics it's hard to diagnose, but sounds like some bad solder joints.

My first attempt at a SB involved placing everything in a traditional wooden enclosure. It was the box building that frustrated me and I ended up breaking the little gain trim pot. I gave up on that one myself, actually gave the PCB kit away..

The second build was a complete success. Maybe you'll try at it again..

I got a local guy where I'm from to build the kit for me. Was pretty cheap and got what I wanted: Surfybear kit + not assembling it myself!

-Pierre
The Obsidians! (Ottawa surf)
The Obsidians debut EP

I wouldn't say it was a complete waste of money and time. Now we know an old suitcase isn't the thing to use for a reverb unit. Sure, plenty would probably already have speculated as much but now it's official.

Don't give up. Just fall back on what others have already done and proven to work. At this moment is the fruit at its ripest and offering the sweetest reward for perseverance. Use the forums and the forums will guide your hand.

https://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/32090/

Here's your solution. If you've tried to resolder the board too many times you may have burned something up.

Hey Pierre,
I am in Ottawa and would love to get together to play surf: this time through a Zoom G3 for the reverb/trem sounds.

Thank you everyone for the kind advice. I have learned my lesson for now. Bad solder is probably it. I still think I wasted $200 cdn... hey, ho...

Page 1 of 1