Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
123 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Tell me why I should buy a Quilter. Tell me why I shouldn't by a Quilter.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

I just got a new Steelaire and, while only using it for a few hours at home, just 'know' this is what I was after. I am not interested in a volume war but I needed clean, strong mids/cut thru in a band setting.My 101 mini-head and custom 12 inch speaker are both now going to be relegated to backup duties.

https://www.facebook.com/lostremoleros/

I played an event this past weekend in an airplane hangar and I knew from previous experience that the natural reverb is very intense. Vocals always sound super blurred in this space. I left my tube heads, surfy bear classic, and larger speaker cabs at home and packed up the Quilter MicroPro II with the 8” speaker. I placed it on a plastic folding chair that the catering company provided and moved it behind the drummer’s hi-hat side. Instrument gain just above noon and master volume at a similar level, which was the loudest I’ve ever played it.

That little amp sounded so great. My band members told me they could clearly hear my playing and several musicians in the audience told me that it was the best we had ever sounded together. They also noted that, because we didn’t have vocals, that our version of surf sounded perfect in the hangar.

I took a gamble and it paid off nicely.

https://ifmarshadwaves.bandcamp.com/releases

I had an Aviator 12 for a few years. While I liked the the light weight and clean headroom at first, I didn't feel it had the depth of tone that my tube gear has. I sold it last summer and haven't found myself missing it yet. My back might though!

I sold my 101 Mini, and now own a Tone Block 202. It is now my main practice/gigging amp. I own a '65 Bandmaster, and a '76 Princeton, but the Tone Block gets played more than both of those combined.

I love the clean, Fenderish tone that I get from it. Speaking of clean, it has clean headroom for days. The fact that it only weighs 4 pounds makes buying this amp a no brainer.

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale. New videos uploaded

So, everyone talks about Tweed and blackface tones - what about the brownface tones? I have not read of anyone changing out their brown tube amps for a Quilter, coincidence? Is it because the brown and tweed are closer than the other tones? I’ve never heard a Tweed in real life, but the brown/black/silver tones are vastly different sounding to me. I’m a fan of both of the Showman / Twin brown tones and I have not heard a bassman brown in real life yet.

Daniel Deathtide

DeathTide wrote:

So, everyone talks about Tweed and blackface tones - what about the brownface tones? I have not read of anyone changing out their brown tube amps for a Quilter, coincidence? Is it because the brown and tweed are closer than the other tones? I’ve never heard a Tweed in real life, but the brown/black/silver tones are vastly different sounding to me. I’m a fan of both of the Showman / Twin brown tones and I have not heard a bassman brown in real life yet.

You never heard because you never read my posts Smile
Send me an email and I will tell you in details. I have posted so much and so many times that I will now make a note and do copy/paste! I am joking man of course. But we have really discussed this for long time. We have even produced a pedal with Surfy Industries, called the Brownfacer, based on the experience I made on the subject.

I mention the Brownface Showman even at my Quilter page:
https://www.quilterlabs.com/index.php/artists/details/lorenzo-valdambrini

Lorenzo "Surfer Joe" Valdambrini
(www.surfmusic.net)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020 15:18:36

revmike wrote:

Here is a big discussion on the 101. https://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/26687/?page=1

If you haven’t tried searching Quilter on the site, there are a lot of opinions to read.

I know Jeff Senn from the Crazy Aces is a big fan if the 101.

Rev

The 101 is great... but it's 50W. 50.
Do you know surf = volume? this is #1 rule. I keep my double showman at 5 on 2 showman cabinets. I would need 4x 101 head for a real live stage situation. So for surf music you need Pro Block or Tone Block. Quilter replaced my Pro Block with the new Tone Block in January and I have to say it's incredible.

Lorenzo "Surfer Joe" Valdambrini
(www.surfmusic.net)

Don't forget my Steelaire, which is louder than my showman, much louder. Not that I ever play that loud.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

surferjoemusic wrote:

DeathTide wrote:

Send me an email and I will tell you in details. I have posted so much and so many times that I will now make a note and do copy/paste! I am joking man of course. But we have really discussed this for long time. We have even produced a pedal with Surfy Industries, called the Brownfacer, based on the experience I made on the subject.

Oh snap! You have a ‘62 Double Showman too! Okay okay I admit it, I haven’t read your posts about it. I’m thinking of investing so as to have a backup. But of course I’ll need two heh.

Daniel Deathtide

Has anybody played the Interblock 45 for guitar? I’m looking for a small rig the goes direct to the PA for some upcoming fly in shows (non surf).

Rev

Canadian Surf

http://www.urbansurfkings.com/

revmike wrote:

Has anybody played the Interblock 45 for guitar? I’m looking for a small rig the goes direct to the PA for some upcoming fly in shows (non surf).

Rev

If it's comparable I don't know, but I have the (discontinued?) Microblock 45 (small pedal sized). My impressions:
Not loud, certainly not for gigs (but the Interblock has direct out of course).
Not at all Ferder-ish sound profile - thick in the low-mids, not much "sparkle" in the high end (the Interblock has a much more expansive tone section).
Natural sounding, responsive, tube like, 85% of the gain is pretty clean, fun to play just not very surfy.
My guess, the Interblock will suit you just fine, revmike. Looks like a great product.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020 13:18:42

DeathTide wrote:

surferjoemusic wrote:

DeathTide wrote:

Oh snap! You have a ‘62 Double Showman too! Okay okay I admit it, I haven’t read your posts about it. I’m thinking of investing so as to have a backup. But of course I’ll need two heh.

You won’t need two.

Los Fantasticos

djangodeadman wrote:

You won’t need two.

I bi-amp (wet & dry) so I would need two, sorry I didn’t mention that. I bring two Showmans to each gig, so if one dies I have another. But it’d be great to have a lightweight backup! I don’t need reverb or trem, but it seems the Tone Block 201 may be a good fit. A Steelaire is pricy!

Daniel Deathtide

PSA: Pro Block 200 available for $299 from Quilter.

FritzCat wrote:

I would love to know the difference between that Pro Block 200 and a Tone Block 200. I wish they would just list the damn differences.

Daniel Deathtide

DeathTide wrote:

djangodeadman wrote:

You won’t need two.

I bi-amp (wet & dry) so I would need two, sorry I didn’t mention that. I bring two Showmans to each gig, so if one dies I have another. But it’d be great to have a lightweight backup! I don’t need reverb or trem, but it seems the Tone Block 201 may be a good fit. A Steelaire is pricy!

Correction: you WOULD need two.

Los Fantasticos

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020 01:52:06

DeathTide wrote:

FritzCat wrote:

I would love to know the difference between that Pro Block 200 and a Tone Block 200. I wish they would just list the damn differences.

Different EQ function.

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

I ran down the differences between the main "clean" 200-watt versions here - https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=355378

I think my Tone Block 201 works pretty well for surf guitar too. I use it with either a Furlong 12" speaker into a LOPO cab or Telonics 12" speaker in a Little Walter cab. These speakers were designed for pedal steel and handle 350 Watts RMS. Set up like this, it can get real loud and clean, and by appropriate tweaking of the Tri-Q and Voice controls, I think gets a pretty good Fendery sound. The gain control can be used to either keep it very clean or push it into the edge-of-breakup type of tube amp sound. I used it for a pedal steel recording last weekend and I was pretty surprised how good it sounded recorded direct even without the speaker plugged in. And I'm a pretty old-school tube amp kinda' guy.

I also picked up one of the Microblock 45 small-pedal-sized 45-watt power amps (into 4 Ohms) when they were getting blown out for < $100. It's nice for grab-and-go situations with everything but the speaker on a pedalboard, as long as a ton of clean juice isn't required. I think it sounds pretty good through one of those speaker cabs or the JBL D120F in my Deluxe Reverb. It doesn't have enough clean headroom for a loud+clean pedal steel gig. Clean pedal steel requires lots of clean volume to give plenty of clean headroom for volume pedal expression use. But I think it works pretty well for guitar with some complementary pedals (reverb, delay, OD, maybe an EQ if you can't get enough mid-scoop from the basic Tri-Q control supplied) if the stage volume isn't deafening. But it does run out of clean volume if you wanna be loud.

The Delverados - surf, punk, trash, twang - Facebook
Chicken Tractor Deluxe - hardcore Americana - Facebook and Website
The Telegrassers - semi-electric bluegrass/Americana - Facebook

stratdancer wrote:

DeathTide wrote:

FritzCat wrote:

Different EQ function.

Well that tells me a lot! Marketing, sigh. My job shut down last night so I’m not buying anything now.

Daniel Deathtide

DeathTide wrote:

stratdancer wrote:

DeathTide wrote:

FritzCat wrote:

Different EQ function.

Well that tells me a lot! Marketing, sigh. My job shut down last night so I’m not buying anything now.

Sorry to hear that, Death Tide.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2