Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Fender Tank Tube Question

Page 1 of 1

All,
I finally decided to swap the tubes out for a re-issue unit I bought and seldom use. I noticed the following:

Tube sticker inside unit reads "Diagram L-R"
6V6GT,
12AT7,

Actual tubes
1st one I can't read any number,
ECC81,
12AX7
I think I'm okay with the 12AT7 replaced by ECC81 and 7025 replaced by 12AX7.
Can someone verify?
Also, can someone suggest best Tube configuration. She has been sounding very un-reverby...
Thanks!

Surfcat

2023 SG101 Compilation - Tribute to Noel
The Journey Home - Agent Octopus (Our SG101 Comp download)

From Atlantis with Love - Released - July 2023
Agent Octopus-Spotify
Christmas on the Beach - NEW SINGLE Dec 2023!!
Reverb Galaxy - Angle of Attack CD - BANDCAMP

Surf, the most dangerous of all musical genres...

SG101 has a useful reverb unit FAQ here - http://wiki.surfguitar101.com/ReverbFaq - you can see a circuit and physical layout diagram here - https://www.thetubestore.com/lib/thetubestore/schematics/Fender/Fender-Reverb-6G15-Schematic.pdf

The original 6G15 had 12AX7/7025 in position 1, 12AT7/ECC81 in position 2, and 6K6, not 6V6, in position 3. The reissue subsituted a 6V6. While I mostly have had vintage units over the years, I had a reissue at one point. I didn't care for the 6V6, and so put in a 6K6 and was much happier.

I think the main subminiature preamp tube issue is that they should be strong and not unreasonably microphonic. Anything else as far as tube recommendations are mostly a matter of personal taste. In any piece of tube equipment, I just try some appropriate tubes until I find ones I like. I keep a lot of spares around.

The Delverados - surf, punk, trash, twang - Facebook
Chicken Tractor Deluxe - hardcore Americana - Facebook and Website
The Telegrassers - semi-electric bluegrass/Americana - Facebook

You are correct.
12AT7 = ECC81
12AX7 = 7025 = ECC83

Most people replace the 6V6 with a 6K6 like the older units.

Check your reverb cables, make sure they are snug and well connected to the tank. I have to check mine occasionally when the reverb sounds weak and that fixes it.

Dave & Storm,
Thanks, will also hit the links Dave gave me.

Want to make sure it drips with surfy sound!

Art

Surfcat

Agent Octopus-Spotify

Definitely - if changing tubes doesn't fix your issue, check your cables. I also suggest making sure the reverb cable plugs are making good contact with the jacks, and all contact points are not oxidized. This goes for tube pins and tube socket contacts too. I generally use De-Oxit D5 spray to clean all electrical contact points if I'm noticing issues in any electronic equipment.

If that doesn't do it, there could be something going on with the reverb tank.

None of this exhausts all possible issues. But pretty much anything beyond trying different tubes, reverb tank, and making sure these kinds of contact points are clean and secure requires knowledge of servicing tube amps, since it is not hard to do damage to the equipment or yourself dealing with the high voltages inherent in tube circuits.

The Delverados - surf, punk, trash, twang - Facebook
Chicken Tractor Deluxe - hardcore Americana - Facebook and Website
The Telegrassers - semi-electric bluegrass/Americana - Facebook

The ‘63 and ‘64 tanks were ridiculously microphonic, until I changed tubes. The 7025 sounded better than the 12AX7s somehow, but the 12AT7 in V2 never sounded right. In either tank. Put in another 7025 and it sounds great and is not microphonic. I tried NOS 12AT7s and brand new 12AT7s but they all sounded bed.

One thing I’d love to see explicitly explained is the chopstick trick. I think one of the tanks may need that, but the existing tutorials have too many words and not enough photos. Maybe yours needs the chopstick fix...

Daniel Deathtide

Ordered new tubes yesterday from Viva Tubes.

Electro-Harmonix 12AT7 ECC81 Gold Pins Vacuum Tube
Gain Tested Sovtek 12AX7WA / 7025 / ECC83 Vacuum Tube
Tests NOS Sylvania Leaf USA 6K6G Round Black Plate D Foil Get Tube

Will get De-Oxit 5, and shoot it up. If that doesn't fix it.. to the shop.
THANKS TO ALL!

Surfcat

Agent Octopus-Spotify

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019 08:33:31

Surfcat

Agent Octopus-Spotify

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019 08:33:14

DeathTide wrote:

One thing I’d love to see explicitly explained is the chopstick trick. I think one of the tanks may need that, but the existing tutorials have too many words and not enough photos. Maybe yours needs the chopstick fix...

Only thing I keep a chopstick around for is poking into electrified places without killing myself. It is often used as a non-conducting probe to tap on the tube while running, or connections, and see if a source of harmonics or tube going bad will reveal itself. Not aware of any "fix"... Be interested to hear about that too.

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

All I could find in a quick search was this, but many folks here have praised this and explained it without providing photos that I understood. And everyone says how the pans are super sensitive and can break easily.

https://www.guitarplayer.com/miscellaneous/righteous-reverb-tweaks

"A great-sounding reverb pan is also essential to having great reverb. Here is a modification to improve the sound of any reverb pan. The reverb pan (also called the “tank”) resides within a vinyl bag on the inside floor of the amp. Remove the bag, open it, and slide out the pan. There’s a cardboard cover on the bottom of the pan that is held by four small screws. With the cardboard removed you’ll see that there are two transducers inside the pan—one drives the springs, and the other is a pickup that transforms the reverberated sound back into a signal voltage. Both transducers consist of a coil of fine wire wound around a small bobbin, with a steel laminated core inside the bobbin. Nearly always, the bobbin is loose on the laminated core. This results in the bobbin moving somewhat instead of all the movement going to the springs. To fix this, you need only to insert a small shim between the steel core and the plastic bobbin. I cut these shims from a bamboo chopstick using a razor utility knife. It looks something like a miniature saxophone reed, and once in place, the shim makes the bobbin tight and secure on the core. Now, all the energy will drive the springs, and none will be wasted on moving the coil. And the same for the pickup transducer—all of the return energy will go into making signal, instead of being wasted by moving the coil."

Daniel Deathtide

Interesting thanks!

And yeah, while the big pieces in a pan are pretty tough, those transducers are the weak link & need TLC.

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Lemme know if you figure it out, and please post close photos! I'm using a vertical pan but it looks similar.

Daniel Deathtide

Page 1 of 1