Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Videos »

Permalink What can a surf band duo sound like? The Insanitizers show in this video.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

Squid wrote:

I prefer to put the BB through a PA system for three reasons besides that it sounds good that way. I hear my own guitar amp without the full power of the percussion. Other band members hear the percussion without the full power of my guitar amp.

Finally, using the PA brings more flexibility in selecting my guitar amp, I don't have to use an amp with a full range from deep bass to high treble because of the BB. Indeed, my only guitar amps with such a range use a cross-over network and tweeter I added. No unmodified guitar amp of mine has treble for cymbals or a proper snare, and only one has enough bass for a kick drum.

Yeah Squid they say in the manual the best way is to use a PA - but they don't say which kind or size unfortunately. Som epoeple just pump it through a guitar amp, but it can't sound as good as a PA being the speakers are not full range on guitar amps etc...yeah to me that's a big rock n roll fail in my mind. PA is the way to go.

To me the snare drum is the hardest to get it sounding live, most Snares sound great live its only when they are recorded it becomes a problem. So will work on that next too. I had a idea to use a equalizer Boss pedal after BB to see if that gets me some edge. I found the box and can't remember where it had it last, but something like that with gain on it I think would deliver more punch to the dynamics. Drums are always hard to pump through PA's anyway...more work to do Mad

As you use the Beat Buddy, you should find this video useful in preventing disconnection or loss of the SD card. When "Guitar Player" later reviewed the Beat Buddy their only criticism was the same SD card instability shown in this video.

I expect to make another video to describe the attachment I made to greatly decrease leg effort and attention in operating the Beat Buddy. It also prevents the Beat Buddy from sliding away while using it. I used this attachment in the performance shown at the top of this discussion thread.

Although a pedal board can prevent sliding away, it doesn't decrease leg effort and attention needed. Because of other projects it may be a month before I can make this video.

Insanitizers! http://www.insanitizers.com

Last edited: Jun 02, 2019 11:04:37

Yeah you can attach a midi foot controller board to the beat buddy - I have a pedal board road case and will mount both the BB and the my foot controller to it when I find the time. You can direct the BB better with a more foot pedals on the controller - In fact Berringer makes a chip that you plug in the back that has all the midi addresses for the BB in it all ready so you don't have to assign them etc....Haven't got this far yet but have them both and you can add drum accents or whatever on the fly while the main BB drum pattern is playing, so it adds some more dynamics to the performance etc

This is the set up I will put together on my foot controller road case etc ...it makes running this thing much easier ...It think Cool

Curious to know if there's a place online you can find Beat Buddy beats/songs that are strictly surf instrumental classics? Or if anyone is willing to sell their own drum versions to other surf musicians.

My band has been looking for a drummer for almost 9 months and I'm ready to adopt Beat Buddy and get back to performing.

_

Hi, I'm Gellert, guitarist for The Fintastics.

https://www.facebook.com/TheFintastics

I have the same problem - finding a drummer - that's a premium where I'm at. I've been a big slacker on the Beat Buddy, I have to admit, I should know more about it by now.

I imagine if you can't find drum grooves specially for surf you might find some meant for jazz. The Surf Beat is really the Lindy Beat normally found in Jazz. Many surf drummers started out in 50's Jazz or took lessons from teachers that were into that around California.

I found this site https://groovemonkee.com/collections/beatbuddy-packs not sure how good they are or if the Surf Beat is included but the Jazz one might possibly have that I would think.

Somebody on SG101 said they had songs like Wipeout and many other standards on the Beatbuddy though...can't remember what thread that was though.

On the Beat Buddy the beat patterns in the classification "OLDIES" are typical surf guitar beats. These are INCLUDED in the beat patterns that come with the Beat Buddy.

Some beat patterns outside OLDIES are useful. I use some of the 6/8 (triplets) and some others.

Some of the free groovemonkee fills are useful.

What I really want to do is find a way of programming my own fills and beat patterns and loading them into the Beat Buddy.

TheFintastics wrote:

Curious to know if there's a place online you can find Beat Buddy beats/songs that are strictly surf instrumental classics?

Typical Beat Buddy operation is that you set up each song with an intro fill, a steady beat pattern, 3 fill patterns to go with that steady beat pattern, a transition pattern, a second steady beat pattern, 3 more fill patterns to go with the second steady beat pattern, and an ending pattern. You can transition between the two steady beat patterns as often as you wish.

In this method you do not enter the entire drum pattern from song start to finish. You enter patterns and you can switch off among these patterns as the song proceeds. In its simplest most basic operation you start off an intro pattern, it automatically switches to a steady beat pattern for as long as you let it go, and at the end you trigger the ending pattern. I have done this at gigs many times, no fills, no transitions, just an intro, a steady beat, and an ending.

Last edited: Jun 03, 2019 18:32:34

Squid wrote:

On the Beat Buddy the beat patterns in the classification "OLDIES" are typical surf guitar beats. These are INCLUDED in the beat patterns that come with the Beat Buddy.

Some beat patterns outside OLDIES are useful. I use some of the 6/8 (triplets) and some others.

Some of the free groovemonkee fills are useful.

What I really want to do is find a way of programming my own fills and beat patterns and loading them into the Beat Buddy.

I haven't got that far with it yet ...will check out the oldies section for sure...would be nice to have Wipeout on the Beat Buddy though if anyone knows where to get that without having to program it.

Yeah the drums are such a big part of Surf its hard to fake your way through a song without the right patterns in place.

I just found a Boss blues driver pedal I have to see if gain gives you anything on my PA. Will try soon to see if I get better dynamics sound wise. The BB sounds good but too studio like sound wise.

The Beat Buddy is for accompaniment. Drum songs like Wipeout and drum solos involve stage presence. What would the audience look at if the Beat Buddy played Wipeout? Beats me, Buddy!

Because Wipeout's percussion is entirely scripted, you could use a recording of just the percussion part played from an MP3 player. You can make the recording from this: https://youtu.be/FnAhTPl8ees

The Zoom G1on and G1Xon pedals let guitars sound great through PAs. Of course you have to adjust the patches and their effects to get it right.

Last edited: Jun 03, 2019 22:01:55

I like the recording idea, I could put the Wipeout accented tom solo on my looper ahead of time (thinking_ Whatever by just record me playing the solo on the drums without using the original recording (not suppose to use any published recordings anyway its illegal to do that) You can get in trouble with that one using prerecorded samples).

I'm driving a fake drummer on a robotic drum kit though with the midi output for the Beat Buddy though so would need to have the same type midi music files the Beat Buddy uses for my stage robotic drummer to work ….…. I could just accent a drum fill that's similar to the solo maybe ???? by just accent drum notes on my foot controller maybe ???

TheFintastics wrote:

Curious to know if there's a place online you can find Beat Buddy beats/songs that are strictly surf instrumental classics? Or if anyone is willing to sell their own drum versions to other surf musicians.

I'm guessing you're not the only one asking about additional surf beats for the Beatbuddy. Lets continue this topic on an earlier thread started by Surf Skater with a more proper title.

Last edited: Jun 05, 2019 12:15:17

Goto Page: Previous 1 2