Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink What's everyones favorite surf amp?

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 26 7 8 9 1016 17 Next

Sonic_Blue wrote:

I am a bass player who decided to pickup guitar. This is the rig I set up. I get my electric today Big Grin

Nice Surf starter pack. I can see by the pedal that it goes to 11! Welcome to SG101!

Thank you! I am sure I will have tons of questions.

Last edited: Mar 01, 2019 09:58:06

It changes, but right now I can't beat my Fender Princeton re-issue Surf Edition

photo

'Surf Music Lasts Forever'

I don't own or have any experience with amps like the Showman or anything quite that large; mostly just smaller combo (10-25 watt, 6V6/6L6) amps including the Deluxe Reverb, Carr Rambler and Tone King Imperial. But I've gotta say that my favorite for use at home or in smaller settings has slowly become the Princeton Reverb. What a simple, but great little amp!

"Heavy is good. Heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it." - Boris the Blade

Last edited: Mar 02, 2019 21:53:04

Ringo wrote:

I don't own or have any experience with amps like the Showman or anything quite that large; mostly just smaller combo (10-25 watt, 6V6/6L6) amps including the Deluxe Reverb, Carr Rambler and Tone King Imperial. But I've gotta say that my favorite for use at home or in smaller settings has slowly become the Princeton Reverb. What a simple, but great little amp!

I agree. Small amps can sound fantastic, tend to be simple and if you mic’ one, through the P.A. it will sound as big as any amp on earth.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

oh this is a bummer! i just finished building a princeton I started in 2014 with the EXACT SAME tolex colors. slightly different layout. good looking amp though.
Wombat wrote:

It changes, but right now I can't beat my Fender Princeton re-issue Surf Edition

![photo]

Last edited: Apr 02, 2019 14:10:43

My favorite surf amp was the ampeg v series amps. Loud and clean with an active midrange section. I also think the v series reverb is much better than any on-board fender amp reverb (except maybe the vibro king)

Fave 'surf' amp.

If I were choosing a piggyback, Brownface Bandmaster. Has a great growl and tone for days! Plus, the blonde tolex with oxblood sets them off just right!

If were choosing a combo, a 2x10 Vibroverb RI. These small-ish combos have great punch in a smaller package. With the right efficient speakers it will also keep up with loud-ish drummers.

Honorable mention to a mic'd Deluxe Reverb. Yes, it doesn't have the headroom of a 35+ watt Fender, but that tone can't be beat for it's small platform!

Last edited: Apr 03, 2019 18:55:45

Favorite Surf Amp?

I genuinely find that a hard question. Laughing I do sort of have a favorite amp, and that will have to be my Fender Custom 1957 Goldface Twin. The reason is because to my ears, this amp may have the finest clean sound ever, and the mid-range focus is rich. Yes, there is no built-in reverb, so I plug my tank into the amp. Cool

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 14:38:18

This one!

Jon wrote:

Of all the amps I've played through (not very many), I think my favorite would have to be the Tremolux.

this right here, i played thru an original 63 brownface 2x10 piggyback and that had to be the smoothest tone ive ever heard

Sonic_Blue wrote:

I am a bass player who decided to pickup guitar. This is the rig I set up. I get my electric today Big Grin

i own the otiginal 60 watt combo, love it. im gonna send it soon to the city to get the transformers upgraded to mercury

This is an update to my "favorite surf BASS amp" post from early last year.

The cabinet is the same 1970's Peavey center slot port 2x15 with EV15BX's that Eddie Katcher beautifully transformed into a Fender clone 20 years ago. The difference now is the return of the 1997 Fender Custom Shop Rumble Bass 300 watt all-tube head that I purchased new, but later sold to a good friend and former X-Rays bandmate. He recently decided to sell of some gear and I ended up reacquiring it a few weeks ago.

Fender only made 60 of these heads. The story is that it was a Bill Hughes design. Bill was formerly the Chief Engineer at Ampeg and was instrumental in the design of their still-famous 300 watt SVT bass amp. Evidently there were some electronic similarities between the CS Rumble head and the SVT and Ampeg threatened a Cease & Desist Order against Fender, similar to what Gretsch had done regarding Fender's use of the Broadcaster name on the earliest Telecasters.

Anyway, I'm not certain if the design similarities were the reason for the low production numbers but it does make for an interesting story. It really is an awesome sounding head with MASSIVE headroom. The last time I used it onstage was when the X-Rays opened for the Beach Boys at large outdoor amphitheater back in 2002 and it kicked serious ass.

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

Last edited: May 28, 2019 12:25:10

WoodyJ wrote:

The cabinet is the same 1970's Peavey center slot port 2x15 with EV15BX's that Eddie Katcher beautifully transformed into a Fender clone 20 years ago. The difference now is the return of the 1997 Fender Custom Shop Rumble Bass 300 watt all-tube head that I purchased new, but later sold to a good friend and former X-Rays bandmate. He recently decided to sell of some gear and I ended up reacquiring it a few weeks ago.

Fender only made 60 of these heads. The story is that it was a Bill Hughes design. Bill was formerly the Chief Engineer at Ampeg and was instrumental in the design of their still-famous 300 watt SVT bass amp. Evidently there were some electronic similarities between the CS Rumble head and the SVT and Ampeg threatened a Cease & Desist Order against Fender, similar to what Gretsch had done regarding Fender's use of the Broadcaster name on the earliest Telecasters.

Anyway, I'm not certain if the design similarities were the reason for the low production numbers but it does make for an interesting story. It really is an awesome sounding head with MASSIVE headroom. The last time I used it onstage was when the X-Rays opened for the Beach Boys at large outdoor amphitheater back in 2002 and it kicked serious ass.

Beauty!

WoodyJ wrote:

So, what amp do you use when you’re not practicing in your bedroom? Smile

Just kidding, mate. That is a hell of an amp. I bet it makes my Twin sound like a Champ, by comparison.

synchro wrote: Whatever

Well, let me think....there's the 1000 watt Ampeg SVT7-Pro, the 800 watt Mesa Subway D-800, the 300 watt Mesa Walkabout Scout, the '67 Dual Showman..... Uh-Oh

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The X-Rays (1997-2004)
(1978-1990)

Last edited: May 28, 2019 21:18:29

WoodyJ wrote:

synchro wrote: Whatever

Well, let me think....there's the 1000 watt Ampeg SVT7-Pro, the 800 watt Mesa Subway D-800, the 300 watt Mesa Walkabout Scout, the '67 Dual Showman..... Uh-Oh

We’re going to have to dam more rivers just to keep you powered. Smile

Hey, I love amps, it is an addiction!

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The X-Rays (1997-2004)
(1978-1990)

WoodyJ wrote:

Hey, I love amps, it is an addiction!

Im in the same boat. Winfield Thomas is a friend and I’ve gotten to play several of his models, including some prototypes. I’m mostly a small amp addict these days, and have three Winfields (of assorted models), but my Twin gets busted out for outdoor gigs.

Goto Page: Previous 1 26 7 8 9 1016 17 Next