Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
321 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
249 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
249 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
168 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
147 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
115 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
109 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
70 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
3 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
3 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink Keelhauled/Madam Pele Release (Finally!!)! 2 New Original Surf Instrumentals for Purchase/Download

Page 1 of 1

Hi all, Potbelly MacKraken checking in:

I finally finished up and released two new original instrumental Surf singles I wrote, performed, and recorded myself that I thought many on here would appreciate, and I'd appreciate the support as well, as a fellow artist. You can preview, purchase and download the new instrumental Surf tunes "Keelhauled" and "Madam Pele" at:

https://potbellymackraken.bandcamp.com/album/keelhauled-madam-pele-single

Please share with your friends and loved ones, and even with those of whom you strongly dislike. For the good book says to love even your enemy, and what better way to show love to your enemy than to send them modern vintage rockin' Surf instrumentals made by an actual surfer from CA's Central Coast, one of the birth places of Surf Music?? I'm really proud of these two tunes. They may be the very best I've ever written...they're at least up there in the top 5 best I've written/recorded. I worked really hard and long on them to make them as good as I could get them, so please consider purchasing if you like what you hear and help me spread them around the internets!

Thanks so much!

~PBMac

These songs are pretty good! The second song is pretty fun, I like the loungey-ness. The musicianship is very pro, slick even!

I will say that you take a great risk naming that song after the volcano goddess. She doesn't like stuff like that, and has been known to be quite vengeful. I was constantly told growing up (on Oahu) to never mention her by name, and especially to never take sand off the islands. She is known for her fiery temper, and besides the big four, is one of the most powerful of all the Hawaiian gods.

Daniel Deathtide

DeathTide wrote:

These songs are pretty good! The second song is pretty fun, I like the loungey-ness. The musicianship is very pro, slick even!

I will say that you take a great risk naming that song after the volcano goddess. She doesn't like stuff like that, and has been known to be quite vengeful. I was constantly told growing up (on Oahu) to never mention her by name, and especially to never take sand off the islands. She is known for her fiery temper, and besides the big four, is one of the most powerful of all the Hawaiian gods.

Thank you, glad you like them. Critique about song name noted; tho, not putting much store in supernatural things like that, I do nevertheless try to respect other people's cultures, having traveled extensively, and made note in the notes to the song on my page that no disrespect to native Hawaiians and their concepts regarding their deity Pele was intended. Rather, it's a beautiful song dedicated to a beautiful Hawaiian goddess, who, in the Hawaiians' minds, continues to shape the land of Hawaii. I personally think she'd be pleased, hypothetically speaking. So, I think I got my bases covered. Smile

Sorry but no, she is sacred and if you search, you will find not a single Hawaiian song that names her. It's "kapu," no matter how you intend it. It is a lovely song though!

Daniel Deathtide

Well, with all due respect, you're welcome to try tell this Kanaka Maoli musician that then, who wrote this beautiful ukulele song just last year to honor Tutu Pele, including her name and title in it the song title itself, "Pelehonuamea."

https://www.facebook.com/KuanaMusicFanPage/videos/1698564670223220/

I was wondering when you'd find a song, and it's telling to me that you could only find this one from last year. Hopefully she won't "take back" any more land because of it! That's the first time I've ever seen someone name her, and it feels wrong and disrespectful. Then again, if you really want to get into it, I can call my mom and have her ask her Kahuna friend about it.

Look man, I'm trying to help you out. I shared what I learned growing up and you're welcome to argue, but it doesn't change what I learned growing up:

"Don't ever mention this goddess by name, unless you're praying."

None of the other Hawaiian gods have these restrictions.

Daniel Deathtide

Last edited: May 11, 2019 12:04:44

Hey I’m sorry to be a contrarian, and I’m also sorry to muddy up your good music with my childhood. I am not Hawaiian, so maybe the locals were making fun of the haole boy. I’m gonna ask my mom to ask the kahuna. Honestly man, my reasoning is this: if I accidentally crossed a cultural boundary, I’d want to know so I could and correct it. Sorry to be so confrontational.

Daniel Deathtide

Page 1 of 1