Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Man, I wanna play a Mosrite

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next

DeathTide wrote:

Ha! That’s exactly what I figure I’d avoid by getting a real Mosrite. May I ask what guitars your prefer? Just as a base. For myself, no guitar has come close to being as comfy as that TS AV65 JM.

Jaguars 100%!

-Pierre
The Obsidians! (Ottawa surf)
The Obsidians debut EP

I think you've got some very solid info here, DeathTide. I got the Mosrite bug about 10 years ago and still have it today. Mosrites are simply unique sounding guitars and as stated not for everyone/everything.

I have an original 1966 Joe Maphis Model 1 and an E.F. Elliott RS model. These two guitars covers a lot of ground Mosrite-tone-wise.

I've just been using these two for the upcoming El Ray album and have used the Maphis for those no-sustain-hollow-gnarly Mosrite leads sounds it can produce. The Elliott more for rythm this time around.
To my ears Mosrites sounds absolutely great with fuzz boxes too and I have used that combo to full extent on one song on the new album.

El Twitter
El Ray
El Ray on Bandcamp
El Twang on YouTube

Last edited: May 02, 2019 06:58:20

Yes this thread has been incredible! The thoughts about the string width is the main reason I’m not planting down some cash. I like thin necks and tiny frets though, but thin strings not so much. I think one of these days I’ll just have to try one. Maybe it will be the greatest guitar experience of my life?

And thanks to you for Mista Eltwang for talking about the Maphis and the Elliot! The Maphis sounds like my jam.

Daniel Deathtide

I had a Ventures Guitar in the 80's, when I played punk, loved the tone hated the neck, now I have a Dano version, love the neck and neck pickup, but the bridge pickup only sounds acceptable.

DeathTide wrote:

I like thin necks and tiny frets though, but thin strings not so much. I think one of these days I’ll just have to try one. Maybe it will be the greatest guitar experience of my life?

I agree with the bunch that says Mosrite works best with 10s. I've tried with 11s and it doesn't work. Keep us posted how you move along with all this.

El Twitter
El Ray
El Ray on Bandcamp
El Twang on YouTube

I used to agree about Mosrite's working best with 10's until I discovered D'Addario Half Rounds. The 11's are "light" 11's and work absolutely perfect with the vibrato tension, at least on my Mosrite.

Highly recommended if you want something slightly heavier than 10's and a little more similar to flats.

Paul
Atomic Mosquitos
Bug music for bug people is here!
Killers from Space

That is a great tip! Never tried half-wounds, but I feel like I’d like them if they were fatter? I use “rebel” strings that literally in all my conversations and posts, I have not found anyone else uses. They’re DR Zebra round wounds and I have loved them since accidentally discovering them in the 90s! Maybe I’ll try the half rounds at some point soon! But not on a vintage Mosrite, unless I get one for free haha.

Daniel Deathtide

surfgtrnut wrote:

I had a Ventures Guitar in the 80's, when I played punk, loved the tone hated the neck, now I have a Dano version, love the neck and neck pickup, but the bridge pickup only sounds acceptable.

How fat are the strings on that Dano? It kinda sounds like you don’t love the pickups?

Daniel Deathtide

I got Mosrite GAS a few years ago.

I started with the Hallmark C60. Stock electronics were OK. The original pots were 250k ohms and I swapped the with 500Ks (they now come stock with 500Ks I believe). That definitely helped but I also eventually swapped the pickups with a set of M3s. Ive tried different string gauges but eventually settled on Chrome 10s with an unwound G string. All in all it is one of the most comfortable guitars I have ever played and gigged with. However the C60s are definitely on the heavy side. I had the chance to play a C65 and while it was substantially lighter it didn't feel like the same build quality.

I picked up a vintage 66 Combo in my quest and it is definitely the guitar I play the least. The neck is tight which isn't a huge problem but the speed frets are a real challenge. Frets aside the guitar looks and sounds the part. I'd like to refret it but since I'm nervous about gigging with it, I doubt that'll happen.

Last on the list is a Japanese Venture's Model Excellent Mosrite. This guitar is light, comfortable, and looks and sounds just like what I expect a Mosrite to sound like. The neck is definitely thinner than the Hallmark but it isn't hard to get used to. The only issue I have is the tuning stability but that could be a mix of hard playing, vibrato use and the small strings. I settled on a set of 9 gauge flatwounds which play fast and sound great.

I hope this helps in some way!

TheCruelSea wrote:

I had the chance to play a C65 and while it was substantially lighter it didn't feel like the same build quality.

Strange. I have a C65 guitar and bass. Both are built like tanks...2 of the best built guitars I've ever owned. Only thing I don't like about the bass is the weight of the neck.

taijiguy wrote:

Strange. I have a C65 guitar and bass. Both are built like tanks...2 of the best built guitars I've ever owned. Only thing I don't like about the bass is the weight of the neck.

I think it was the bolt on neck vs the C60s set neck. Oh and the lack of binding. It definitely still felt sturdy.

TheCruelSea wrote:

taijiguy wrote:

I think it was the bolt on neck vs the C60s set neck. Oh and the lack of binding. It definitely still felt sturdy.

I would love to try a C60. Maybe I need one of each.

I also have a Hallmark Custom 65 and the overall quality of the guitar is excellent plus and as good if not better as any USA made modern Fender. The only difference between the C 65 and C 60 are the C 65 has a bound bolt on neck finished in natural and no body binding while the 60 has a painted bound set neck and body binding. My C 65 weighs in at 8.6 lbs, no featherweight but not an anvil either. From what I understand most real Mosrite bodies were made of basswood, while the Hallmark C 65 and C 60 have alder bodies.

Last edited: May 10, 2019 15:46:50

DeathTide wrote:

I feel strongly that I will love the experience. Similar feelings I had towards jags and that incredible thin skin av65 JM - I was not surprised at how great they were compared to a strat! Now I find strats kinda cumbersome.

They’re not that much to me, considering what they are. I want a 60s one. I don’t even want to mess with a Hallmark because it’s only about 60% more to get a vintage one. I’m seeing a super nice one (not a sunburst!) for $3k.

Anyone else had a similar conundrum?

Did you get a Mosrite yet?

I just got mine almost two weeks ago. I still am in the return period if I don't like it but to me it ain't going anywhere because I love it. Find my discussion on it and you can see the pictures. It's a Fillmore not a Kurokumo. I have heard great things about Kurokumo Excellent Mosrite models. Someone here said you can get them for $1,000 used but I never saw that. I always see Kurokumo Excellent models for about $1,300 on eBay and Super Excellents for about $1,600. I may be wrong though, your mileage may very so to speak. But regardless you can also get a Mosrite Avenger which show up on eBay fairly regularily for about $900 to $1,000 plus shipping. Mostly these are seller from Japan so shipping can me about $150. Oh there is a Mosrite Japan on eBay now for $777 plus $110 shipping. I doubt it's an Excellent model. Maybe an Avenger and someone changed the decal to say Mosrite of California rather than Mosrite Avenger. I say that because it doesn't have a serial # on the fretboard like old Avengers didn't at times. Kurokumo models would. And this guitar seems old but then I may be wrong. I love my Avenger. Yes I have an Avenger too.

Check this auction out -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Excellent-Mosrite-of-California-the-Ventures-Model-Electric-Guitar-Ref-No-2280/173915947002?epid=629515262&hash=item287e32bffa:g:5WcAAOSwQ8Rc7J3v

Maybe it is an Excellent because someone on this site has an Excellent with no serial # on his. So I think I was wrong saying the seller actually is probably selling a Firstman rather than an Excellent. If it's an Excellent it's an Excellent price! Seriously it is. Buy it before it gets away.

Last edited: Jun 02, 2019 04:39:32

I wanted a 60s one. So I decided to wait! Possibly forever. I need to play one first!

I just can't buy blind, and anyway I need to save my dough because I'm sick of working.

Daniel Deathtide

DeathTide wrote:

I wanted a 60s one. So I decided to wait! Possibly forever. I need to play one first!

I just can't buy blind, and anyway I need to save my dough because I'm sick of working.

Yeah I bought a 1966 Mark V, which is different than the Mark 1 you would want, and the Mark V is tiny. I can play a Fender Duo-Sonic no problem but the Mark V is hard. Point being maybe I should have tried one first but I never saw one locally. Actually I've only seen two vintage Mosrites locally, Mark 1 models, in 20 years. So it's hard to find vintage Mosrites, or even Japanese Mosrites locally, even in a big market like Los Angeles. With that said I don't want to refret the Mark 5 but I wonder if a refret would make the difference. Not sure if the neck is too small and the frets are too small or it's just the frets. If the neck is smaller than a Duo-Sonic then it's both but if it's the same size, then it's just the frets on the Mark V that's the problem. I'm keeping it because I like having a vintage Mosrite around and in the future I can sell if I want, but for now I'm keeping it and playing it the best I can.

So yeah try one first before you buy.

Surf,
"So it's hard to find vintage Mosrites"..**** Yep - I bought a lot of them up years ago when no one wanted them. So (partly) guilty here for the shortage.

I have only one Mark V - the Jonny Ramone model. It's like every other Mark V I ever played. It isn't good for much else than for strumming punk power chords and that's about it - or maybe for "Rock Lobster" if you're into "The B-52s"' I never found it to be much of a lead guitar/melody instrument.

BTW - if you refret a Mark V (or any Mosrite), you've killed off a lot of the guitar's value. The closet I've every seen in a decent refret used mandolin frets. The commercial guitar frets today are just too damn big for the neck and actually make the instrument harder to play. I foolishly did it once on a 1966 Ventures model (my least favorite year); I'd never do it again. If you do go that route, make sure your luthier knows he's in for a hell of a fret filing job.

All MHO,
J' Mo

Johnny thanks for the info. Yeah I think I better pass on the refret. I rather not drop the guitars value. I can manage with it the best I can. I agree the Mark V is best with power chords. I don't know how that Ricky Wilson of The B-52s handled that guitar. Even though I was a teen in the early '80s and was a "new waver", I never liked The B-52s. Over the years they grew on me and I like a handful of songs by them but only really early ones and even at that I can't consider myself a fan. Maybe I just like the fact he used a Mark V and also had a Maphis model and a Mark 1 as well. I like "Rock Lobster", "Private Idaho", then a few "newer" ones, like "Summer of Love" (not a guitar based song), and "Roam" which is post Ricky Wilson and probably on a Strat or a Tele by former drummer, then new guitarist for the band "Keith Strickland". Maybe there might be another old song or two but overall The B-52s not my cup of tea. Give me Romeo Void anyday. By the way the live version of "Rock Lobster" is great and I love seeing his Mark V in live action.

I've been playing since 1982, Summer of. Back then I'm sure vintage guitars were bought at a great price. Wish I knew of Mosrite then and convinced mny parents to buy me one. I think that's great you bought them when they were more available and not in demand like now. You did well. I admire that.

Some nice video shots of the Mark V. Looks darker color than I know it for but maybe lighting was bad and the video quality -

Rock Lobster Live

Last edited: Jun 02, 2019 19:54:30

surfgtrnut wrote:

Those are nice guitars. I tried one at Guitar Center and sounds great and feels and looks great. I don't recall the bridge pickup but I do recall the neck and the inbetween selection I thought was a nice sound. I don't recall if I did the bridge only.

I'm a big fan of Danelectro anyway and most every guitar they released since they went back into business has been good, or ones I tried but have not tried them all.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next