Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
319 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
247 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
247 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
166 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
145 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
113 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
107 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
68 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
18 hours ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
18 hours ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink UK and Ireland surf comp SURF BRITANNIA out now

Page 1 of 1

This topic was automatically created to discuss the news story UK and Ireland surf comp SURF BRITANNIA out now.

I love this! Purchased his morning. Lots of non-traditional sounds, but super cool! The second track for example. Upon my first listen, there really was nothing boring for me. It’s also a cool step up the surf music evolutionary ladder. I will listen further.

Daniel Deathtide

It's a fun album, I recommend you all take a listen.
https://surfbritannia.bandcamp.com/releases

I purchased a copy. Smile

It's a great compilation and we're pleased as punch to be featured on it. If anything, it shows there's a lot going on in UK surf and hope it encourages international surf bands who tour Europe to consider adding in a UK date or two. Not many seem to venture on these shores and I don't understand why, there's definitely an audience for it.

maximumsurfandroll wrote:

It's a great compilation and we're pleased as punch to be featured on it. If anything, it shows there's a lot going on in UK surf and hope it encourages international surf bands who tour Europe to consider adding in a UK date or two. Not many seem to venture on these shores and I don't understand why, there's definitely an audience for it.

Simple economics. UK gigs don't pay enough. That said, we've put on Messer Chups, The Razorblades (many times), Los Venturas, Pirato Ketchup, Surfer Joe and The West Samoa Surfer League in Brighton. We've also had The Bambi Molesters and The Phantom Four over, but they were for parties, which we funded ourselves. How much do you want to see these bands? Are you prepared to take the financial risk?

We've also put on quite a few if the bands featured on the compilation, although they were all fairly local to us.

Los Fantasticos

Last edited: Jun 01, 2019 14:20:50

I've heard that it's quite pricey for the work permit to play in England.
If it's the same or more than USA then that's a thing to consider. Also
Do the bars play a flat rate for bands? Or a portion of the door?

Here in Ca. It's hard to get local surf fans to go see a band not from here. If they haven't heard of them before. Not all surf fans do the research and know of all the Euro bands. That being said, I always wish for more bands to tour. But knowing its financially hard. I don't expect much.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

bigtikidude wrote:

I've heard that it's quite pricey for the work permit to play in England.
If it's the same or more than USA then that's a thing to consider. Also
Do the bars play a flat rate for bands? Or a portion of the door?

Here in Ca. It's hard to get local surf fans to go see a band not from here. If they haven't heard of them before. Not all surf fans do the research and know of all the Euro bands. That being said, I always wish for more bands to tour. But knowing its financially hard. I don't expect much.

The cost of the permits is not huge, but not just anyone can apply for them, so you have to find someone who is able to do that. Essentially they are making a financial guarantee that the band will leave the country again at the end of the tour. With Messer Chups (who only needed permits for Igor and Svetlana, since Boris, the drummer at the time has an EU passport), the cost of the permits was spread over five or six gigs, so not prohibitive. The band also has a considerable crossover appeal to both the rockabilly and garage crowds, so it wasn't too hard to fill the venue, pay the band well and have some over for the promoters (it was a co-promotion between three different promoters).

When margins are tighter, though, the cost of those permits could become a problem. Currently, of course, EU bands can tour in the UK without permits, but once we leave the EU, all bands will need them (at least until we have trading arrangements with other countries that cover such things). The same will apply to UK bands wishing to tour in the EU. I know of one Spanish promoter who told me that as soon as this involves him in ANY additional expense, he won't book the tours, since he already operates on tight margins.

In the venues where we have put on shows, we pay a hire fee for the room (not excessive), but we set the ticket price and take all of the money on the door once that fee has been covered. As promoters we then have to pay the bands and cover any other expenses. We've been very fortunate in having a number of local-ish bands who will play as support without needing very much payment, meaning that we can do our best to pay the touring bands as much as possible. In he case of a band like The Razorblades, who have visited every year for many years, we can guarantee a fee, since their hard work over the years has meant that we can be fairly certain they will pull a crowd. We've also acted as a hotel for many bands over the years, which is another way of operating within tight margins.

Lorenzo, for one, will tell you that the money on offer from gigs in the UK is much lower than he can get in other countries around Europe and this is one of the reasons (more likely the main reason), why it is so difficult to get the bands over here.

As you describe, Jeff, it's also very difficult to sell a show featuring bands who people don't know. On this forum we think of Slacktone and The Madeira (for example) as big acts, but in the UK, they are virtually unknown and it would be very difficult for us to offer them the type of money they would need to make it worthwhile coming over, even if they were already touring in Europe.

Los Fantasticos

Thanks for info Jon, all very similar situations here.
Keep doing what you do! Thumbs Up

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Page 1 of 1