Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
96 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink "Shark" build

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3

How's it sound? Looks sooooooo cool!

Daniel Deathtide

It sounds great. Although I'm generally not a big fan of GFS stuff, I love these Surf 90's. They sound to me like a cross between a P90 and a humbucker, and there's great definition between switch settings; there's never any doubt which setting you're on.

It came in at just under 8 lbs., which isn't too bad for a 1 3/4" Alder body with a full steel block trem. I'm real happy with this build.

Next up, a re-imagining of the acoustic guitar silhouette, based on intersecting guitar pick shapes, painted lime green pearl:

Time for a rebuild of the Shark.
I couldn't quite set the intonation properly; the tremolo was about 3/32" too far forward, and the intonation springs would bottom out before the saddles could move far enough back to intonate. That took some re-drilling & patching of the trem cutout. And there was a little hump that interrupted the curve just under the fin, so I knocked that back some. Plus I've fallen out of love with the Sonic Blue color; it just looks like baby blue. Going to go with Surf Green, which still fits the Shark theme, and should look good with the vintage amber neck.

Change of plans on the color; went with an aged white finish. It's a Duplicolor lacquer, Ford Wimbledon White. It looks pretty close to an aged Fender Olympic white, and it goes well with the amber neck.

Back together. Now I'm wondering about a pickguard color change; maybe white or mint?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3