Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
96 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Small modelling amp for Those Sounds

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

Delrin96mm, thanks a lot for taking the time to write. That's a great review!

Post deleted by author.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020 15:44:35

Ok, the THR10 are back in stock and I ordered one in. Lets see if this one sounds well in my home. Should arrive tomorrow. Other than that I didn't have lots of time to look into this, and probably won't until into June (work away)

garagelass wrote:

Ok, the THR10 are back in stock and I ordered one in. Lets see if this one sounds well in my home. Should arrive tomorrow. Other than that I didn't have lots of time to look into this, and probably won't until into June (work away)

The THR10 is a neat gadget to have around, no doubt about it it's a brilliant idea. It is purely my own opinion when I say the THR10c would be the better choice for surf. I found Fender Twin emulation a little clear and sterile. The THR10c has a sweeter Fender Deluxe emulation.

crumble wrote:

garagelass wrote:

The THR10 is a neat gadget to have around, no doubt about it it's a brilliant idea. It is purely my own opinion when I say the THR10c would be the better choice for surf. I found Fender Twin emulation a little clear and sterile. The THR10c has a sweeter Fender Deluxe emulation.

Yes, that's likely. I'll have to test it and can only do so by ordering once it's available again as no shop here stocks it. My local guitar store (it's actually a store!) has no small amps in stock at all. One would think that one of the biggest cities here would have some choice. Grr....

Crumble, did you actually try the THR10 V1 or V2? I think a lot was changed with the sound of the Fender Twin. I'm hoping that the non-C will give me a bit more dirt for some other sounds - if I like it at all in my own four walls.

Actually, from the Mustang I had I prefered the Twin emulation over the Delux, but of course that's a completely different thing.

garagelass wrote:

Crumble, did you actually try the THR10 V1 or V2? I think a lot was changed with the sound of the Fender Twin. I'm hoping that the non-C will give me a bit more dirt for some other sounds - if I like it at all in my own four walls.

Actually, from the Mustang I had I prefered the Twin emulation over the Delux, but of course that's a completely different thing.

I owned a THR10 for a couple of years and loved the versatility. V2 Firmware generally improved things. I tried a THR10c in a sound proof booth in Andertons Guildford and liked the tone of the Deluxe, It had that Fender sound right on the dial make no mistake. The C version seems to be more American blues flavour. To be honest I didn't fully road test the THR10c, first impressions more so. I'm In a similar situation to yourself as I have close by neighbors and an ear drum condition that causes swelling with headphone use. I sold the Yamaha and brought a Quilter Mach 2.

crumble wrote:

garagelass wrote:

I owned a THR10 for a couple of years and loved the versatility. V2 Firmware generally improved things. I tried a THR10c in a sound proof booth in Andertons Guildford and liked the tone of the Deluxe, It had that Fender sound right on the dial make no mistake. The C version seems to be more American blues flavour. To be honest I didn't fully road test the THR10c, first impressions more so. I'm In a similar situation to yourself as I have close by neighbors and an ear drum condition that causes swelling with headphone use. I sold the Yamaha and brought a Quilter Mach 2.

Cheers,
yeah, neighbours and ear condition (and various others sigh). Plus very little space. I keep on hearing good things about the Quilter, but it's just a bit too expensive. And it's not really that small either.

Just for the size and versatility, and considering I'm not planning to gig I think one of the Yamahas might possibly be the best choice. Come to think of it, I would actually not be surprised if the shop I originally tried it in last year might still have had a V1. I remember not being impressed by the sound at all, the silent cabinet was throwing echoes around, and there was a very annoying humming/squealing from the unit itself. So lets see. It should arrive tomorrow afternoon.

As to which one is best: difficult to say. I like lots of music. I'm not into blues, metal and rock but love 60s music, indie, odd tunes that defy categories, jazz. Currently getting started a bit with fingerstyle.

garagelass wrote:

Cheers,
yeah, neighbours and ear condition (and various others sigh). Plus very little space. I keep on hearing good things about the Quilter, but it's just a bit too expensive. And it's not really that small either.

Just for the size and versatility, and considering I'm not planning to gig I think one of the Yamahas might possibly be the best choice. Come to think of it, I would actually not be surprised if the shop I originally tried it in last year might still have had a V1. I remember not being impressed by the sound at all, the silent cabinet was throwing echoes around, and there was a very annoying humming/squealing from the unit itself. So lets see. It should arrive tomorrow afternoon.

As to which one is best: difficult to say. I like lots of music. I'm not into blues, metal and rock but love 60s music, indie, odd tunes that defy categories, jazz. Currently getting started a bit with fingerstyle.

The Quilter came about due to my aunty popping off! I'd been interested in them since the prototypes were unveiled at the 2008? Surf Guitar 101 convention. I'd done my homework leading up ordering the Mach2 but what I didn't foresee was how sweet it sounded at low volume.

Happy THR10 day! BTW I once plugged the headphone out through a mixing desk to 12 inch PA speaker and that little Yamaha sounded almighty!

garagelass wrote:

Great, I remeber we talked about it and I still think it’s the best bedroom amp and not only for surf)

Waikiki Makaki surf-rock band from Ukraine

New Single is out!

https://waikikimakaki.bandcamp.com/album/rhino-blues-full-contact-surf-single

Waikiki Makaki

https://linktr.ee/waikikimakaki

Lost Diver

https://lostdiver.bandcamp.com
https://soundcloud.com/vitaly-yakushin

Last edited: May 01, 2019 07:08:03

Thanks guys. The THR10 arrived at the parcel shop. Still 4 hours to work until I'm able to pick it up and test it though. Ugh!

Right: this might very well be NGD for me.

Took me a while to figure out how to use the master and guitar dial properly, but I think I love it. Sounds nothing like what I heard in that guitar store last year.

Just went on a run to decide on what to do, but I think it will stay. Only negative: the C one has the nicer colour Big Razz

Goto Page: Previous 1 2