Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink rural auction score: Kent Electric Bass

Page 1 of 1

I picked a dirty but reasonably intact Kent "Electric Bass" this weekend at a auction in rural Virginia. The cost, let us say I couldn't pass it up AND it came with what seems to be a vintage (non-chipboard) hardshell case. The bass is a definitely a "knockoff" of a Fender model and was made not in Japan but in Korea.

As for condition, it's been used....hard. Two of the tuning machine keys are missing yet the tuning machine covers and gears are still intact. (Does anyone know if I can just replace the missing keys?)

The pickguard is cracked and missing an inch of two just above the input jack but enough of it remains that I will be able to trace and cut a new one, an exact replacement (WD doesn't sell them as far as I know). If anyone knows of a source for a replacement pickguard please chime in.

Also missing are the Vol & Tone pots, I'll have to get new ones.

Frets aren't worn to the point of needing replacement but can use some shaping, a plus is there are no dents dings to back of the neck. The body shows wear, numerous scuffs, light scratches and dings/dents along with a missing chip of paint or two.

I don't know much about bass guitars this being my first, I've never played one never mind picked one up or held one. From what I've seen online this appears to be a "short-scale" version of a Fender Precision Bass. Am I correct? (see pics).

If anyone has an info or feedback please post and educate me on my find.

I don't know if I'll be keeping this, if anyone is a Kent fan and is interested in it please PM me.

In the meantime I'll be cleaning her up and sourcing parts including pickguard material (possibly GFS/Guitarfetish).

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019 02:24:41

Cool bass! I do love a project. Though I don't know anything about that one. But what if you kept the pickguard and just converted it to a metal cover where it's broken off, like a Jag? Same shape as stock, just metal.

I reckon you'd have a hell of a time finding tuning keys to match those existing ones.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019 21:04:18

Redfeather wrote:

Cool bass! I do love a project. Though I don't know anything about that one. But what if you kept the pickguard and just converted it to a metal cover where it's broken off, like a Jag? Same shape as stock, just metal.

I reckon you'd have a hell of a time finding tuning keys to match those existing ones.

Thanks for the idea on the metal as a replacement for the missing piece of pickguard, sad thing is I disposed of some sheet stainless when packing for my recent move from the N.Y./N.J. Metro Area to rural Virginia. I had some perfect pieces, from the sides of a bus/coach.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019 03:11:25

bump

Just wondering if anyone has come across or new members have any info on this bass.

http://www.kentfoto.com/music/KentGuitars/

It is one of the later Korean made Kent basses. Several manufacturers made guitars for Kent including the much loved Swedish surf guitar manufacturer Hagstrom.

If the neck is good keep it and rebuild it with hagstrom/Kent parts. Keep the original pickups.

Sharawaji Records - UK Registered Record Label Dedicated To Surf, Instro, Reverb and Twang
DripFeed.net - the Network for Surf Music Join Now
Surf Rock Radio - the World’s Number 1 Surf Music Station
Surf Music Radio - the World's Number 2 Surf Music Station
Monstromental - Pulp Horror Instro Surf Radio

The strings are skewed on the fretboard, i.e., not parallel to the edge of the neck. The G string is almost off the fretboard at the high frets. The two saddles look off center. The simplest possible solution may be interchanging the two saddles, so that the E-A saddle becomes the D-G saddle and vice-versa. From appearances this may suffice. If not, maybe the D-G saddle can be turned upside down and the saddle post put in from the opposite side.

Insanitizers! http://www.insanitizers.com

Squid wrote:

The strings are skewed on the fretboard, i.e., not parallel to the edge of the neck. The G string is almost off the fretboard at the high frets. The two saddles look off center. The simplest possible solution may be interchanging the two saddles, so that the E-A saddle becomes the D-G saddle and vice-versa. From appearances this may suffice. If not, maybe the D-G saddle can be turned upside down and the saddle post put in from the opposite side.

Thank you very much for all the info and the tips. I've been offline dealing with the new home, haven't had much time to surf the web but I appreciate your efforts and will keep all here apprised of my project.

You're welcome. I see that your bass has two bad tuners.

I replaced two bad tuners on a Korean-made "Global brand" bass guitar from the 1970s because the tuning pegs cracked. I bought a set of four metal bass guitar tuners through Ebay, sent from China, and I replaced the two bad tuners entirely. These tuners don't match the appearance of the originals, but that's ok. Sometimes when I replace tuners I have to enlarge the receptacle hole (using a portable electric drill), but that's not much work. However it seems there is always "something" that makes repairs complicated.

The neck on that Korean Global bass was much thicker than on my other basses, so that I never cared to play it. So I thinned the neck and refinished it with Formby's Tung Oil (from a local hardware store). That worked well, it's much improved, and the tung oil finish feels like satin.

Insanitizers! http://www.insanitizers.com

Last edited: May 15, 2019 12:39:01

reviving this thread:

The Kent bass restoration project has begun .....the tuning machines have arrived from Chi-Nah (2-3 weeks since placing order) courtesy of AliExpress (....no coughing or sneezing ....) and are exact replacements ....all screw holes line up exactly and the machines were installed last night.

Due to be delivered in the next couple of days/weeks are a set of strings (AliExpress), a Kaish wiring harness w/500k pots and input jack (Ebay), white pickguard (AliExpress), black thumb rest (AliExpress). I already have a wide Levy's strap and a set of Fender/Schaller strap locks.

Photos to come soon.

Bonus:

This P-Bass copy is a candidate for a refinish ....I haven't decided if I will attempt another (it'll be my third) as even without stripping the original finish it's a lot of work but Burgundy Mist or something else along the lines of 1960's Fender color palette ie. Sea Foam, Shell Pink, Surf Green etc. is enticing.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020 22:02:24

that bass has built-in FUNK! super-cool find... I can't wait to see what you do with it!

Thanks "DP" , I think I'll bring it back to function before any refinish ....I'll need warmer weather in order to paint outside.

With other pressing projects here after relocating fron NW N.J. to SW Virginia, the damage/injury I sustained a decade ago to both wrists/hands plus my blown out back lower back I'm not too enthused about a repaint BUT the bass screams for new color .....the repetition of spraying even using cans of Krylon (like I've done in the past) then sanding.... can be grueling.

The Korean-era Kent bass though for all appearances a Fender/Squier Precision Bass (P-Bass) is in reality more of a "Bronco-sized" bass with a 30" scale as opposed to a Precision bass which has a scale length of 34" or the Jaguar-style bass' 32".

UPDATE:

All parts for the vintage late 1970s-early 1980s Kent short scale bass have not only been sourced but delivered. I've nearly completed shaping the pickguard, a four (4) ply brown tortoise shell. The original pickguard was a bit "sleeker" (& "sexier") down near the pots/knobs and input jack so I do have a little bit more material to remove to fashion an exact replacement.

Once the pickguard is complete I will install/wire the pickups to the pots and input jack and install the strings.

One thing I have learned is that I should have traced the new pickguard out on clear acetate using the outline that is still present on the guitar from the old pickguard, had I done so the shaping would have gone quicker.

As for tools I used a coping saw with fine tooth blade, flat and round files, a battery operated drill and drill bits, sandpaper, and my drill press with various sanding drums to do the pickguard shaping.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020 14:09:15

new pics

Page 1 of 1