Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Favorite surf guitar

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 255 56 57 58 5965 66 Next

The Spy Gun!

my avri

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019 01:58:29

Your text to link here...

Hacking away at Surf Rock since '87!

Went to a Guitar Center the other day and saw this thing. A JJOYE Starlette...didn't get a chance to play it but it sure looks like it could play some surf! Also a saw a 60s Hagstrom, and both of these guitars were strung up with flatwounds. This is why I can't go to music stores...whenever I see anything I remotely like, I want to buy it all. Thankfully(?) I did escape without spending any money!

Edit: in case anyone does want to buy it, here's the link: https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/In-Store-Used/Used-JJOYE-Starlette-Custom-Red-Sparkle-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-115138424.gc?cntry=us&source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItrDLoM2Y4QIVmZOzCh1noQPeEAQYASABEgIMX_D_BwE

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019 10:46:36

Gretsch 6119 with HiloTrons

"as he stepped into the stealthy night air... little did he know the fire escape was not there"

https://www.facebook.com/reluctantaquanauts/
https://www.facebook.com/TheDragstripVipers/

After years of trying out a succession of Strats and a few Jaguars (never did come across a JM I could afford that I liked enough to buy) I rather impulsively acquired this Gretsch. It's been with me for a little over two months, through many band practices and a little recording. I never thought a semi-hollow body guitar with weird humbuckers would be my sound, especially for surf, but this is it.

The Vicissitones
Diesel Marine
The Rasputones

ElectricLimnology wrote:

After years of trying out a succession of Strats and a few Jaguars (never did come across a JM I could afford that I liked enough to buy) I rather impulsively acquired this Gretsch. It's been with me for a little over two months, through many band practices and a little recording. I never thought a semi-hollow body guitar with weird humbuckers would be my sound, especially for surf, but this is it.

I think the HiLoTrons are single coils, are they not?

Nice Gretsch! And an appropriate color as well Laughing

The p'ups sure look like HiLo'trons, but may not be on that series. When using a single pickup, does the guitar locate AC hum like a direction finder? If she's always quiet, then most likely they are hum-bucking.

I say this as there was a wicked looking three-p'up they had, looking all the world like she had HiLo'trons, but they were really humbucking...

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...

ElectricLimnology wrote:

I play Gretsch almost exclusively. I use Supertron or Duo-Tron pickups, which are strong, but very focused. I’ve had some nice Strats, a nice Jaguar and all sorts of other guitars, but none have suited my needs better than the various Gretsch I own, including creating a clear, bright and powerful sound for Surf. Many people find the sound surprising.

Bill_Ashton wrote:

Nice Gretsch! And an appropriate color as well Laughing

The p'ups sure look like HiLo'trons, but may not be on that series. When using a single pickup, does the guitar locate AC hum like a direction finder? If she's always quiet, then most likely they are hum-bucking.

I say this as there was a wicked looking three-p'up they had, looking all the world like she had HiLo'trons, but they were really humbucking...

“Super Hilo’Tron™ humbucking pickups”, taken directly from the Gretsch website.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

I hit post too early. Gretsch makes some great guitars for a twangy sound. I bet this is a great sounding axe. Congrats.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Jazzmaster. I've had a jag, jazzmaster, mosrite, strat. Jazzmaster ticks every box for me. I'm currently saving up for that 60s daphne blue version.

Jaguar.

Just ticks every box of what a proper surf guitar should have. Plus, .12's or higher gauge flatwound strings on Jags just make the guitar sing and roar!

Last edited: Apr 03, 2019 18:48:26

andreuthegiant wrote:

my avri

Great looking Jazzmaster!

Which gold guard is that off of? The MIM J Mascis or the MIJ?

andreuthegiant wrote:

my avri

Very nice. What year is that? I also have an AVRI. It's a 2003 that I got brand new back then. It's Oly White but turned a bit yellow over time. Is your Oly White? It's hard to determine. The gold pickguard looks sensational on yours. I have a tortoise shell on mine. I posted the photo of it some years back at the Offset Guitar website and some said I got a good pickguard. They said some of the tortoise shell guards look different than mine.

I have flatwounds on mine, do you?

I didn't go thru all the posts but the first few pages and this last page, not many people posted their favorite surf guitar is a Mosrite.

My favorite used to be the Jazzmaster for surf and then Mosrite, then Strat. Yes, Strat. It changes a lot. I finally realized after owning so many different guitar that it doesn't matter the guitar, but preferably a single coil guitar and good playing. In that case any guitar sounds good and can be my favorite surf guitar, whether I am playing or someone else live or on record. I know Mosrites sound different from Jags and Jags different than Jazzmasters and Jazzmaster than Strats, but after having so many guitars any single coil guitar sounds great as long as the playing is right. But yes I know, people have their favorites. Right now just from a playing stand point and the tone I am liking my Mosrites the best but not for just surf, but overall. But if there was a specific surf guitar, it doesn't matter as long as the single coils are there and playing is there.

SurfMania wrote:

I didn't go thru all the posts but the first few pages and this last page, not many people posted their favorite surf guitar is a Mosrite.

My favorite used to be the Jazzmaster for surf and then Mosrite, then Strat. Yes, Strat. It changes a lot. I finally realized after owning so many different guitar that it doesn't matter the guitar, but preferably a single coil guitar and good playing. In that case any guitar sounds good and can be my favorite surf guitar, whether I am playing or someone else live or on record. I know Mosrites sound different from Jags and Jags different than Jazzmasters and Jazzmaster than Strats, but after having so many guitars any single coil guitar sounds great as long as the playing is right. But yes I know, people have their favorites. Right now just from a playing stand point and the tone I am liking my Mosrites the best but not for just surf, but overall. But if there was a specific surf guitar, it doesn't matter as long as the single coils are there and playing is there.

My jazz tele that ive modded with mastery bridge and trem and Novsk noiseless pups

We have a late contender!

This one was an accidental purchase that I came across at a local vintage shop and just could not pass it up, given the super reasonable asking price. I guess this has become my favorite surf guitar, at least for now.

2000 AVRI Jaguar in Candy Apple Red, looks almost new front to back and seems to be be the best-sounding of the 2 other AVRI Jags I've had in the past. I've also discovered that I prefer roundwounds on offset Fenders.

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

Hi Fellars and Felines,

New member hailing you.

I'm more of a rocknroll, 60's psych punk, 70's punk, garage, British Invasion and Brit pop practitioner here but I love surf and spaghetti western sounds, as well as 50's rockabilly and rebel rocknroll come think of it.

Here are the instruments I'd press into service for surf.

...and if I had to get into a spaghetti shootout, I'd reach for this

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019 14:20:22

Goto Page: Previous 1 255 56 57 58 5965 66 Next