Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink RIP Scott Walker

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

Post deleted by author.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020 15:28:57

Not entirely non-surf/instro related. He was in the Routers at one point.

Paul
Atomic Mosquitos
Bug music for bug people is here!
Killers from Space

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019 11:03:42

And that! ^^

Paul
Atomic Mosquitos
Bug music for bug people is here!
Killers from Space

Post deleted by author.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020 15:28:33

But wait, there's more. Walker also recorded with The Moongooners (Candix, Donna, and Essar label) and The Newporters (Scotchtown label). Here's a Moongooners' side:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxgpOm7PEx8

www.johnblair.us
www.soundofthesurf.com

According to Wikipedia also toured with The Surfaris.

I used to like the Walker Brothers as a youngster.

I had no idea he was involved in surf music.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019 17:09:05

Amazing range....Sun Aint Going To Shine Anymore...to...Let's Go.
I liked the Walker Brothers but they seemed to be a copy of the Rightious Brothers.

Happy Sunsets!

tahitijack wrote:

I liked the Walker Brothers but they seemed to be a copy of the Rightious Brothers.

Phil Spector produced the early Righteous Brothers hits. "The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore" arrangement sounds similar to the Spector "Wall of Sound".

tahitijack wrote:

Nothing against the Righteous Brothers music but in my young eyes they were on the square side. The Walker Brothers while hardly rebellious were a part of the liberation factor happening in Great Britain during the 1960s. Style and clothing said it all. They were way cooler IMHO.

John wrote:

But wait, there's more. Walker also recorded with The Moongooners (Candix, Donna, and Essar label) and The Newporters (Scotchtown label). Here's a Moongooners' side:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxgpOm7PEx8

Maybe somebody here knows about this one 45 I have. It’s called Cindy and the writer credits say Scotengel (or similar). I always thought that’s a typo and it’s in fact another early Scott Walker instrumental. Am I right?

The Exotic Guitar of Kahuna Kawentzmann

You can get the boy out of the Keynes era, but you can’t get the Keynes era out of the boy.

Well, you gave us the title and writer credit, but not the artist or label.

www.johnblair.us
www.soundofthesurf.com

John wrote:

Well, you gave us the title and writer credit, but not the artist or label.

Sorry, currently my 45s are in boxes, but the artist is Eddie Kay. I don’t remember the label. Bethlehem

Here’s a label scan.

This is the black/production run, mine is white, probably promo.

You can get the boy out of the Keynes era, but you can’t get the Keynes era out of the boy.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019 16:18:58

Always helps to have that information. Writer credits: "Scottengel" is, indeed, Scott Engel (typical label typo). "Stewart" was most likely Phil Stewart, who was 1/2 of The Rip Chords. Eddy Kay was a real person (not a pseudonym for Engel). He was a TOURING member of the Routers (he didn't play on the records). While not really the recording band, there's a photo of them on the back of the "Let's Go" LP. I believe Kay is the guitarist standing to the right of the sax player in that photo. Typical Saraceno and Mike Gordon slight-of-hand.

www.johnblair.us
www.soundofthesurf.com

Thanks John! There are several rhythm guitar parts, but I guess we will never know who played them.

Post deleted by author.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020 15:28:09

Delrin96mm. What a splendid musician he was. I remember seeing a short TV documentary featuring his Avant Garde work some time in the 1980s (I think) I remember feeling quite shocked, intrigued and pleasantly surprised he was looking good and still on the planet! Thanks for video I enjoyed it.

Post deleted by author.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020 15:27:39

Delrin96mm wrote:

Could the short documentary you're referring to maybe have been the first video attached, which is from 1995?

I'm afraid my memory is foggy at best. It might have been a segment on an arts and culture programme, I remember one such tv show that truly embraced post punk lifestyle in a kind modern intellectual way. Normally these sort of programmes were a huge yawn but this one really had it's finger on the pulse (total brain fade as to it's title) The snapshot I have in my mind is in black and white, there is an animated pattern and wildly disjointed music. They were very much highlighting his new album.

Post deleted by author.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020 15:27:00

Goto Page: 1 2 Next