Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Where Is Surf Going In 2019?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Sam, that is really funny. Totally cracked me up, thanks! I wonder what a theremin would sound like through that?

Daniel Deathtide

I got a kick out of it - what will they think of next?

I wish they had a barking dog pedal myself - that would be a good live tool to have to add some humor to it all.

Some of these pedals are interesting to me - Dunno

2019 is starting slow on the new music front for us. Much being booked but studio work is lagging due to schedule restraints. The two days of drum tracking have turned into sonic discovery sessions of mic positioning for the set. After working with the Glyn Johns technique on the last session we found the balance wrong between the ride cymbal and the floor tom. Both are key features of this recording. We'll have to start the song all over again. All lost.

We have many gigs that are two hours long. To keep things fresh and fun for the audience we have added familiar rock and pop covers to the setlist that we are taking a bit of time to get right in transposing to surf. That plus keeping the rest of the fast paced setlist tight really takes a lot of work. Right now surf is about practice time and effort for me.

Rumor from a sponsor for 2019 is that we may be asked to be the warm up band for Akron's, days long, forth of July festival on the last night. The final act is a Lynard Skynard cover band of all things and we would warm up for them in front of thousands at the large outdoor amphitheater. I was told to look for an email this spring.

I wish I had something new to add to this thread but it's the same old thing, learn new songs and practice them.

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 06:04:19

Yeah a lot of work goes into any band, and even just focusing in on your own instrument of choice can be a life long quest in reality. I think moving gear for a show and setting up is the biggest downer for me. Lots of work for sure.

Multiple band shows can be a pain too it looks like - I went to go see a 4 band show on a road trip while back, and I was amazed how fast each band set up and got off stage. Each drummer had their own kit too. The amps where all set up a head of time and each band took away their stuff after each performance etc.. but it couldn't have been more than 15 minutes between each band's performance.

One band had their own sound man on the house mixer board and sounded really good for a club show - The snare drum sounded increadible, never heard drums sound so good, so that is a big plus if a band has their own crew that knows the sound the band has etc. It seems like most bands just wing it PA wise and just go with what ever is offered at the gig, so many times the sound suffers a bit for the audience enjoyment. Most live music tends to have too much bass overall and not enough mids and treble.

Surfing_Sam_61 wrote:

Yeah a lot of work goes into any band, and even just focusing in on your own instrument of choice can be a life long quest in reality. I think moving gear for a show and setting up is the biggest downer for me. Lots of work for sure.

Multiple band shows can be a pain too it looks like - I went to go see a 4 band show on a road trip while back, and I was amazed how fast each band set up and got off stage. Each drummer had their own kit too. The amps where all set up a head of time and each band took away their stuff after each performance etc.. but it couldn't have been more than 15 minutes between each band's performance.

One band had their own sound man on the house mixer board and sounded really good for a club show - The snare drum sounded increadible, never heard drums sound so good, so that is a big plus if a band has their own crew that knows the sound the band has etc. It seems like most bands just wing it PA wise and just go with what ever is offered at the gig, so many times the sound suffers a bit for the audience enjoyment. Most live music tends to have too much bass overall and not enough mids and treble.

15-minute changeovers are pretty much the norm for most of the gigs we play. Except usually it's a shared drum kit with swapped breakables, and the amps are changed. Some amp shares, but usually it's a Marshall which is impossible for me to get a decent tone out of, so I usually take my own amp. Watch sadly as the PA guy mikes up my reverb unit...

Mids and trebles are where the feedback is, so a lot of those frequencies are suppressed.

http://thewaterboarders.bandcamp.com/

da-ron wrote:

Watch sadly as the PA guy mikes up my reverb unit...

ROTFL Brilliant!

-Tim
MyYouTubeChannel
My Classic Instrumental Surf Music Timeline
SSS Agent #777

SilverFlash wrote:

da-ron wrote:

Watch sadly as the PA guy mikes up my reverb unit...

ROTFL Brilliant!

This has happened to me a couple of times. The second time the dude kinda shot me a questioning look before doing it and I nodded, so that one was on me and for my own amusement. I let it stay there. I'm not sure if he figured it out before the end of the set.

The Mystery Men?
El Capitan and The Reluctant Sadists
SSS Agent #31

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8