Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Reissue Fender 59 Bassman LTD

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

10-4 on fret height reduction, leveling and crowning. My new to me '08 Gibson ES-355 was unplayable until I begged "The Best" luthier I know to save my fanny....... Boy did that ever make a difference.

Obviously the guys who currently design Gibson guitars can't even spell vintage, much less have any idea what it means and may not have ever seen an actual vintage one either.

I'll crawl back in my hole now.............

ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

Derekirving &Stoopy besides the Pure Vintage '59
Pickups what about the Pure Vintage '65 Pickups?
Is there a difference in sound between the two sets?
I see that Amazon sell them or would I get a better
price at a local music store. Will either set fit into
the Pick guard that is on the guitar.

Lou D

Lou, they should fit in your quitar just fine, they're straight replacement strat pickups and the strat I put them in is also a MIM model.

Maybe someone else here can speak to the Vintage '65 pickups as I have no experience with them but I'd bet they've prolly been discussed here before, I just haven't done a search. I chose the '59's based on what I read plus the fact that I was going for an "earlier" vintage surf sound. From the info on the box it looks like the '65's are biased a bit more toward the treble side - the 59's do have a nice warmth to them:

Member in good standing, Mentone Beach Syncopation Reverberation Association

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019 18:49:15

@twinreverb Check this video out, specifically the '59 and '65. I know these are not the exact guitar as yours, but it should give you an idea. To me, the '65's are a bit brighter/aggressive/edgier. The '59's are sweeter sounding. (the 56's are great sounding too super hard to find but they are Alnico 3 where the 59 and 65 are Alnico 5)

Pickups

Guys thanks for your help I did watch the video and I
like the 56 & 59 Pickups. The 65 pickups are just to
Bright so I'll look for the 56 or 59 set. The 59's I
could get at a local music store or of Amazon but I'll
also check Reverb and Ebay. Thanks

Lou D

eddiekatcher wrote:

10-4 on fret height reduction, leveling and crowning. My new to me '08 Gibson ES-355 was unplayable until I begged "The Best" luthier I know to save my fanny....... Boy did that ever make a difference.

Obviously the guys who currently design Gibson guitars can't even spell vintage, much less have any idea what it means and may not have ever seen an actual vintage one either.

I'll crawl back in my hole now.............

ed
Bad fret work or just too big? Personally, I'm ok with anything from vintage size (well not vintage Mosrite or Gibby fretless wonder)to medium jumbo as long as they are properly leveled, crowned and don't have fingerboard sprout.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019 11:45:08

As the guitar came from Gibson, to me it was pretty much un-playable, the frets were too high and too narrow. Sliding up and down the fret board was unnerving and uncomfortable as the rise on the frets was too abrupt. Kind of like driving over speed bumps in your car. Additionally, it wouldn't stay in tune worth a pooh. The frets were lowered, leveled and re-crowned. The nut was replaced with real bone. Way better, slinky.

ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2