Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink What's On Your Workbench?

Goto Page: Previous 1 220 21 22 23 2431 32 Next

This ‘62 with an ages old refin job. It’s an amazing instrument!

Last edited: Jan 06, 2019 17:49:24

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 14:24:00

Simple one first....Trimming out my surf green Squier Start in black hardware

Listen to my band The Surfusions on our Bandcamp Page Link
Like The Surfusions on Facebook ... Link
Follow The Surfusions on Twitter ... Link

2nd project.. have some spare parts sitting around so...this Squier Thinline Tele body with a strat neck. Gonna put a set of gold foil pickups in her and add gold hardware.

Listen to my band The Surfusions on our Bandcamp Page Link
Like The Surfusions on Facebook ... Link
Follow The Surfusions on Twitter ... Link

Currently, the bits and bobs from 3 MIDI controllers that are being transplanted into an enclosure that holds them and 12 sound modules. The enclosure itself is on a card tsble nearby waiting for me to finish the paint experiment for it.

It looks like a GFS paisley tele after that. When they moved, I got discount body. My daughter saw it and said that's her next guitar. I said only if you build it. So she will. Not too many 9 year olds out there playing an axe they assembled themselves!

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 14:24:35

What's this hairy mess?

It's a G&G Jazz Bass case I scored,
now converted to accommodate my Squier Bass VI.
Had to cut foam at 3 locations - wings and neck pocket.
The glue absorbed too well, and stained the fur's exposed side a bit, but the VI now sits firm and secured.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019 10:30:54

Here's one current project: It's a 2011 Squier Cyclone that I'm getting ready to sell. I had enlarged the rout for the switch when I replaced the cheapo original switch that died with a Switchcraft type right angle switch. So I needed to clean that up and add some shielding paint. The swimming pool rout is original, not my work.

Also need to finish cleaning the fretboard and fix the pickup wiring - I had played around with installing a number of different pickups and then put the originals back in, but accidentally wired them out of phase.

It's a good guitar and was fun and easy to modify, but I've decided to let it go.

Jacks seem to be a theme this week.

mj
bent playing for benter results
Do not attempt to adjust your TV set.
https://www.facebook.com/Bass-VI-Explorers-Club-179437279151035/
https://www.facebook.com/Lost-Planet-Shamen-366987463657230/

Cool

Many years ago I started this Yamaha SGV clone project. I lost interest for it for a while, but recently I spent some time trying to finish the project. Now also I got some help from our cat with the wiring Smile

bjoish wrote:

Many years ago I started this Yamaha SGV clone project. I lost interest for it for a while, but recently I spent some time trying to finish the project. Now also I got some help from our cat with the wiring Smile

Bjorn, your SG is looking good, but that's got to be a lot of work. I sometimes get help from cats as well.

And speaking of projects, on your old blog, you described the two amps you built, but I never saw how they turned out sound-wise. Did they work well? Are they comparable to other amps in their sound?

Thanks EdwardSand

Finishing up a Squier Mustang build that my little brother and I have been working on. Right now I'm just waiting for the pickguard to be completed by an online maker. This is a thin instrument, thinner than all the other squiers i own, which are thin to begin with. With the additional routing, the end result is fairly light weight. It's a tone monster. The fine fellows at the guitarnutz2 forum were super helpful and guided me on how to wire it with all possibilities of series and parallel, and in and out of phase. With 3 pickups i can muster an insane array of tones. It also has a kill switch and strangle switch. Pretty violent set of controls.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019 13:00:07

bjoish wrote:

Bjorn, that's too cool. I just realized that's a dummy coil. Total genius.
Radical build.

My current project is this:

It's a Session Rockette 30 amp, which I got when I was living in England for a while, and I liked it enough to ship it home. It's a 30W solid state amp with a 12 inch speaker. A few months ago, I modified the power transformer for 120V operation, and now I'm getting around to changing it to a more open back configuration (hence the unpainted board on the back, which I will be painting black). I like some of the sounds I can get out of the amp - on the drive channel, you can dial in an excellent Rumble/Link Wray sound. But the clean channel is very trebly, so I'm looking at ways to tame that.

This is a picture of an add for a Hohner CA 10 amplifier. Roughly six months ago I found one for sale and bought it. I powered it up and it sounded really good

The cab was rather ugly so I decided to install the head in another cab. I also replaced the speaker.
Sadly about two months later it developed a nasty 120 cycle hum so I replaced the the power caps and rectifier tube.

I also decided to replace the preamp and power tubes. The new speaker can be seen in the back ground behind the amp head

The result was a small portable tube powered amp that sounded way better then it should. But on close inspection not so surprising because the CA 10 is a copy of a mid 50's vintage Fender Vibrolux 5E11 with just a few differences, two inputs instead of three, rearranging the PC board components and different power cap values.
I should add that when running my surfy bear through it, it is also a very good surf amp with strong lows, powerful mids and highs available to taste.
This was a challenging, fun and rewarding project. Smile

Here is some excerpts I copied from a Bartell amp website

The Bartell company was formed by former Rickenbacker, Magnatone, and National employee Paul Barth (engineer) and Ted Peckels in the mid 1960s after Barth returned from Magnatone's facilities on the East Coast. Bartell made guitars and basses as well as amplifiers and effects The Bartell company also rebranded their products for Hohner, St. George, and Lancer.
Paul Barth was a major player in early guitar development. The son of a National Co. woodshop foreman, his involvement with the first electric guitar pickup with George Beauchamp culminated in the development of the first electric guitar, the Rickenbacker "Frying Pan. He was instrumental in getting Leo Fenders operation in Santa Ana semi-automated in the early 50's. He was the one who built many of the woodworking jigs that were used to shape necks and bodies for the very first Jazzmaster, Jaguar, and Stratocaster guitars
The Bartell Studio Guitar Amplifier was a tube amplifier using 2-6V6, 2-12AX7/7025, and a 6CA4. Bartell also produced tube amplifiers for Contessa, a division of Hohner. Natural Music Guild was a group devoted mainly to promoting the steel guitar apparently contracted Bartell to produce tube amplifiers for them as well. They all share the CA 10 model designation.

I've nearly finished my year long Parts Jazzmaster.

Just a few little things to finish with and slight annoyances:

• The prewired harness has to go under the neck pickup between rhythm and leads circuits as the wires were too short to go under the pickguard between pickups
  • I replaced the trem-arm collet with a Staytrem collet and then forgot and changed it back to the original!!!!
  • I had to shim it, but much better action now
  • My paintjob leaves something to be desired in small places. So may have to take it apart when the weather is warm and re-spray. Or scuff up the bad bits to make it look bashed...
  • The witches hat knobs are too small. I think they are for vintage models. My Pots are CTS USA. It's a bit if a trawl on the internet trying to find anything that gives actual dimensions. I don't necessarily want witched hat, but I don't want to keep buying and returning stuff.

For a couple of years ago I made this bass/guitar. It´s a Bass VI and Baritone mix, the upper 3 strings are bass VI and the lower are baritone. The circuit is made so I can run it with mono output or switch it too stereo-output so I could have different amp/effects for the bass VI and baritone. the tuning is EAD for the upper bass strings and the baritone is tuned so if I pull the loose A-string I could get a Aminor from the lose strings of the baritone section.
With a loop-pdeal I loop a bassline and the are free to surf on the baritone-strings!

Lazytob wrote:

Very cool and original idea, nice execution! What kind of pick ups are they?

Goto Page: Previous 1 220 21 22 23 2431 32 Next